V Stream Windshield - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
V Stream Windshield

Well guys/gals, I just bought my Versys and the dealer threw in a V Stream windshield. I received the stock shield as well so I could compare the two and what a difference. This V Stream shape really pushes the wind out and away from my full face helmet. This bike is now comfortable to ride at highway speeds. Just though I'd give my .02 . Anybody else experience the V Stream yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 12:23 PM
FJS

Where can we see it or show us a pic pls.

Thanks
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 12:28 PM

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 12:29 PM

post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 12:46 PM

MackDaddy's picture look better than the shield pics on National Cycle website. Different bracket maybe?
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebbert View Post
MackDaddy's picture look better than the shield pics on National Cycle website. Different bracket maybe?
Nope, OEM brackets.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 01:23 PM
FJS

Thumbs up

Thanks for the pics McD, nice shield. Now not to get off topic too much but, where did you get those mirrors (they look like piaggio units, right?)

Salut

Last edited by FJS; 04-23-2009 at 01:27 PM.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 01:37 PM

Mirrors are OEM 2008 Kawasaki z1000.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 06:03 AM

Hi,

Mackdaddy how tall would you be? I am 6'2'' and have tried the vario screen which just caused turbulence and so did the standard screen at the high setting. The only way i found round this problem is placing the standard screen on the lowest setting which resulted in clean air hitting my helmet and the screen keeping wind off me upto about my neck. Bit like riding a naked bike. Do you find the V-Stream
A) redirects air over and around you at all times?
B) the air runs off the screen cleanly and causes LESS turbulence when hitting you
C) Redirects the air over and around you only when tucked behind it.

Just trying to get an idea of how it performs best as i can not get any positive reports for any screen at the moment and people seem to be settling with the stock one. Versys is brilliant untill it comes to wind protection. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 07:44 AM

Mackdday, what is that bar across the handlebars? Is it for vibration reduction? Or just general rigidity?
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 07:45 AM

More details in this thread..

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=1172

I think I mention my height in that thread too, but I'm approx 5' 10"

Last edited by MackDaddy; 05-13-2009 at 07:51 AM.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massconn72 View Post
Mackdday, what is that bar across the handlebars? Is it for vibration reduction? Or just general rigidity?
Pro-Taper SE Aluminum bars. Structural integrity..

Last edited by MackDaddy; 05-13-2009 at 07:50 AM.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 07:55 AM

Thanks MackDaddy. I thought that might be the reason.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 07:08 AM

Hi- New member here. Just got the Verseys this weekend and the bike is great but the windshield sucks. So after putting the windshield in every position possible I ordered the V Stream and should have it in a couple of days. I read every windshield post on the internet and thanks to the board members here for all the good info. I hope the V Stream works. I'm about 5'8". You guys who have one do you run it in the highest position? I'm going to make a flyscreen out of the stock windshield and try that too. Great board here, thanks again.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 05:52 PM

Because of the shape, you have to use the top position. It may send the air right over you at 5' 8". I am finding it hitting me in a way I don't like at 5' 11" with a tall upper torso.
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 02:08 PM

I'm not sure I counted right, but it appears the VStream windshield has 2 favorable reviews and one unfavorable, so far. Has anyone else tried it. What did you think of it? Please include your height and typical riding speed.
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 02:34 PM

Overall Happy

Overall I like the windscreen. My previous bike was a KLR, and I'm used to lot's of buffeting. As for the V-Stream. There is a drastically reduced/directed airflow around my torso. I'm 6"1' and the top flow hit's me mid-visor. With my Scorpion EXO-700 Helmet it's quite loud. Still wear ear plugs. I never expected perfection when I bought the windscreen. While there is still noise at the top of the helmet , it is still much better than the stock screen (Mid-position). I didn't write earlier..since Mack Daddy did a great initial review. Overall I like the shield, and it's shape in my opinion compliments the Versys.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 06:19 AM

Well I got the V Stream and installed it the way they recommended. What I found out was I had light but constant helmet buffeting with it at any height. I then installed the thicker dampers they give you with the shield on the bottom screw holes to angle it back more. This lessened the buffeting and turbulence around the torso, I knew I was onto something here. I had some longer screws the same size so i cut some 1 inch dampers from some fuel line and installed these on the bottom and the thick dampers they give you on the top. This angled the shield so it's about the same angle as the top of the headlight cowling. It also puts the shield closer to you. Success! After some more testing I have the shield in the lowest position with this setup. The buffeting is gone and the protection around your torso is much improved. There is still some wind noise but it's tolerable and I wear earplugs anyway. I found my open face helmet with a flip down shield quieter then my full face helmet. I also made a flyscreen out of the stock shield but it was only slightly better then stock. I'm glad this worked as I'm a little tired of screwing with this windshield thing. I think I could get it even better but I'm going to leave well enough alone for now.
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 08:19 AM

Timberdog, How tall are you if you don't mind , I've got the same screen and have the same problems you have talked about,It would be great to find a solution. Silverman &
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 08:20 AM

V stream

After completing my first long trip on the Versys, 600 miles to the ADV rally in Cocke Co TN, in torrential rain and wind both ways, I decided to upgrade the windshield. Thanks to Mackdaddy's multiple shield reviews I bought the V stream this morning.

The ride proved that my mods so far, pro taper bars, barkbusters, 44 rear vortex sprocket, sw motech racks and tail ,and the "big foot" side stand all worked really well. The gearing is spot on now for high speed slab and also the twisties.

Cant wait for the V stream, hopefully by the weekend.

the Versys is the Best bike ever, and I have owned a lot,

Kawasaki Versys 2008
Ducati 749
Ducati S4R Monster
Road Star 1700
KLX450R 2009 (CO 500 steed)
Kubota Tractor with belly mower
Yamaha TTR 125 E (the wifes)
Lambretta GP200
Zuma 50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode