Hugger option in Canada - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hugger option in Canada

I have been looking to purchase a hugger for my V and there not many options available in Canada.

I know that Streetfighterbydesign is the official Skidmarx importer for the US and for Canada and the price and availability seems ok

I have tracked down the Canadian importer for JMV Design and Ermax (both from France). It is CSMECA in Blainville near Montreal. The price seems a little better but as always, shipping is very expensive in Canada. Also delivery is 4-5 weeks.
CSMECA is open to group purchase and offer a 15% discount (min 3 items from the same manufacturer, items need not be the same). I spoke with the owner and he seem nice and he is involved with the Supermoto X-Fest at the Mecaglisse (Mecaglisse is a track school near Montreal)

For those that doesn't know, JMV Concept is the maker of the infamous full fairing for the Versys.

Links:
Warning, I hope you were paying attention at your French lessons in school because some of these sites are French only

Canadian importer
http://www.csmeca.webs.com/

Skidmarx
http://www.skidmarx.co.uk/section/mu.../kawasaki.html

JMV Concept Kawasaki page (warning, the site is very slow, ugly and french only)
http://www.jmvconcept.fr/2e07e4a2-2c...2c9248444.vdom

JMV Concept Versys hugger
http://www.jmvconcept.fr/135db0de-9c...m?idPieces=184

Ermax site (UK)

http://www.motoevolution.co.uk

Ermax site (France)
http://www.ermax.fr/modeleFiche-KAWASAKI-03.html

So far I am thinking about purchasing the Skidmarx hugger (more expensive but faster delivery) but if others members are interested by JMV Concept or by Ermax, I can join them for a group purchase.

Charles Leblanc
2007 Versys
Givi Windshield and side case
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 11:29 AM

This is the best hugger in my view and some others.

http://www.twinshack.co.uk/prods/126.html

It was a bit spendy and came from the UK. But it gives best protection to your delicate electrical parts and in again in my view looks good. It fits really well, no gaps and is sturdy. Either unpainted or carbon fiber.

I tried mat black, matching the Kawasaki red (looked awful) and finally settled on gloss black.

BTW, I was in Wally World a few days ago-couldn't find anyone who spoke English to help and my Spanglish isn't great. Oh yes I was in Palm Desert not Mexico.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 09:33 PM

hugger

charles...I have the same one machdog has..I live in canada too and shipping from the UK was surprisingly quick..the hugger fits perfect....was worth the extra $$ for shipping.... I painted mine flat black...

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 04:57 AM

I have the Ermax. It came from the fellow you mentioned near Montreal. He had a special on when I ordered so no shipping charges. Maybe you can ask him for some flexibility on that. I find the hugger does its job, although one of the fastening points uses a zip-tie. It doesn't bother me, I never think about it, but if you are a perfectionist then another make of hugger might be a better choice.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 11:08 AM

crazydave58 did you get hit with a Canada customs fee $ when you received the hugger? If so how much did the Customs Canada take from you?
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 07:51 PM

fee

hey edthe...I'm sure I would have paid the customs fee...I looked in my files but couldn't find it....I think I paid GST and PST on it....not sure tho...
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 08:30 PM

In my opinion this is the most important add-on you can purchase for your V. It will keep the back area of your bike semi-clean. However, I wished they would have an all-carbon fiber one available.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

I looked over the Customs act and there is no tafiff for importing motorcycle parts from CEE countries as well as other Most-Favoured-Nations.

However we might still get hit with the custom broaker fee, and well as taxes.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-com...mod-1-eng.html

Charles Leblanc
2007 Versys
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 09:12 PM

Just make sure it is always shipped to canada via POST OFFICE...they charge $5 brokerage fee, plus tax BUT often it comes through with no collection at all. On the other end of the scale is the couriers UPS etc. that ALWAYS collects tax on anything with a value over $20 and they charge HUGE brokerage fees (that is why they always collect the tax...b/c they earn huge dollargs on their fees). I always ask 2-3 times to make sure people will send via post office or I will not buy from them...and you would be amazed how many Americans confuse UPS and USPS
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhedges View Post
In my opinion this is the most important add-on you can purchase for your V. It will keep the back area of your bike semi-clean. However, I wished they would have an all-carbon fiber one available.
jhedges are you daring me to get the Skidmarx carbon fiber hugger from streeffighterbydesign!

This is mean! but I will probably purchase a plain fiberglass hugger

I simply have to decide between the different models like the JMV, Poly26 (Twinshack) Ermax and Skidmarx

Charles Leblanc
2007 Versys
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesleblanc View Post
jhedges are you daring me to get the Skidmarx carbon fiber hugger from streeffighterbydesign!

This is mean! but I will probably purchase a plain fiberglass hugger

I simply have to decide between the different models like the JMV, Poly26 (Twinshack) Ermax and Skidmarx

Thats what I got, and I freaking love it!

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 10:20 AM

+1 on the Twinshack / Poly26.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrysmart80 View Post
Just make sure it is always shipped to canada via POST OFFICE...they charge $5 brokerage fee, plus tax BUT often it comes through with no collection at all. On the other end of the scale is the couriers UPS etc. that ALWAYS collects tax on anything with a value over $20 and they charge HUGE brokerage fees (that is why they always collect the tax...b/c they earn huge dollargs on their fees). I always ask 2-3 times to make sure people will send via post office or I will not buy from them...and you would be amazed how many Americans confuse UPS and USPS
You only get hit with a brokerage for stuff coming from the US. If it is from overseas, the courriers do not charge brokerage. Go figure that you pay brokerage from NAFTA countries and not from Europe???
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 05:11 PM

Another Hugger Option?

Has anyone ordered the Versy hugger from stuntsteel.com in Pennsylvania? They list two items, one in black and one in carbon, supposedly sourced from 4acp.com ( 4 All Cycle Performance shop ). I could not locate the item on the 4acp site. The photos on stuntsteel's sight are of a nice, large hugger w/chainguard which looks suspiciously like the one available from Twinshack, but the bike it is mounted on is not a Versys. There is another photo along with each image which is of a worthless, smaller hugger. I am going to e-mail and call stuntsteel to see if they can post an image of the actual Versys item, or at least confirm that it is the larger style. I just wondered whether anyone already knew the real story.
visionary
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

It's a PUIG hugger from Germany

http://www.puig.tv/

(hint, it's written on the hugger itself)

From the puig site:

NEW FROM PUIG. ABS thermoformed plastic. To keep clean your undertail, nothing works better than rear huggers. PUIG rear huggers, offered in black and carbon look, are delivered with hardware and a very easy to follow instructions. Paintable material that will perfectly fit your bike.

For latest models, PUIG rear huggers are personalized for each bike with stylish aluminium plates.

Carbon look huggers priced at $166.95

Be carefull, the picture on the site is not a Versys...

Since I am also looking for a hugger, I decided to look a little for the real Puig hugger fitted on a Versys

Warning, the image might shock you

http://www.ubricarmotos.com/index.ph...x&cPath=79_416

Please note that the pictures on the Puig site are not the pictures of the Versys so Stuntsteel.com made an honest mistake.

IMO the huggers from Twinshack (Poly26), Ermax, Skidmarx and JMC look much better

Charles Leblanc
2007 Versys
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 04:42 PM

Fingernail Hugger

Thank you, charlesleblanc.
This is what I suspected - a hugger that needs an extender, and is overpriced as well. The others ARE more appealing, and offer more protection (that is the point, no?). In my opinion, the Twinshack is the best. I was hoping to find something ready-to-ship in the US, but cannot locate a distributor for the Poly26, nor for another very desirable and unique item, the Romatech radiator guard. I was put off by the additional shipping charges and extended arrival times, but just recently returned a set of handguards that I impulsively chose simply because I could recieve them in one day. Better to wait for the right ones.
visionary
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
So ... is it safe to assume the 27 the same design?

http://www.twinshack.co.uk/prods/127.html

For $20 more I'll get the CF and save the painting. From all the huggers researched it does seem to offer the best coverage ... perhaps not the coolest design but function over form wins every time.

Just double checking ... anyone recently found a Canadian/USA dealer for any huggers other than listed?

I found this wading through a Parts Canada catalogue ...

http://www.partscanada.com/app/webro.../2009/mcv2/en/

... and emailed the company hotbodiesracing.com

With Parts Canada at least you can walk into any bike shop and they have a catalogue to order and have shipped/received within the country/continent.

Will update when I hear back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eyedratherBriding
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 09:30 PM

Dang, those huggers are kinda ugly. Sorry, don't mean to diss...
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 03:39 PM

Get the Twinshack

charlesleblanc,

Stop stalling and order the Twinshack hugger. The time you spend searching for something locally will be subtracted from the shipping time from Britain. It is not inexpensive, but it is well made and fits perfectly. I got the carbon fiber one so that I would not have to paint it. 100% satisfaction.

visionary
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 06:18 AM

No Name Generic Hugger from Greece

I bought this one on eBay. I have no clue who makes it, and had no idea if it was any good when I ordered it.

Did a post on the British forum and no one there heard of them either.

I took a chance and was very pleasantly surprized.

The hugger arrived within two weeks, installed in 10 minutes. All parts were there, and instructions clear. It looks exactly as advertised. You can have any colour you like as long as it's black.

Most importantly the price was pretty good, plus they shipped as a gift so no customs business.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Kawasaki-Versys-Q...3A1%7C294%3A50

Last edited by toocanad; 06-20-2009 at 06:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode