Wanting sw motech side racks. How difficult is it to relocate rear turn signals? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wanting sw motech side racks. How difficult is it to relocate rear turn signals?

Yup, that's my question there in the title. If anyone could provide a brief write up on how the rear turn signals are relocated, time it took and any tips I would be grateful.

Thanks,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 06:03 AM

haven't done it yet ...its still on my list of things to get, however i do have the fitments diagram for the side racks hope this helps.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

I've checked out that diagram thanks.

Do you know if its just a piece of wire supplied and I'll have to splice it or what? I've never done any wiring but I imagine there's not much too it. I'm hoping someonce can explain it...

Chris

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 09:16 AM
psc

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowfaller View Post
I've checked out that diagram thanks.

Do you know if its just a piece of wire supplied and I'll have to splice it or what? I've never done any wiring but I imagine there's not much too it. I'm hoping someonce can explain it...

Chris
Chris,

I believe that you "extend" the wiring with the included wire in the package. So it's a cut and connect to the original wire as opposed to splice.
But then I never installed the relocation bracket since I have clearance for my cases. Check your clearances, I don't believe that you NEED to extend the lights, unless you want to...

Peter
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Do you know if its just a piece of wire supplied and I'll have to splice it or what? I've never done any wiring but I imagine there's not much too it. I'm hoping someone can explain it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by psc View Post
I believe that you "extend" the wiring with the included wire in the package. So it's a cut and connect to the original wire as opposed to splice.
Yes, you splice a new piece of wire into the existing wired to make it longer. I think the kit comes with a 2 or 3 inch piece of wire. I used a longer piece so I could route the wires more easily. You can twist and tape the splices, but it's better to solder them. The installation is not that hard overall.

-Alan
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 10:43 AM

All of the above is correct. The brackets come with the extra wire and it is probably a ten minute job. I have had the brackets for six months but have yet to move the lights. The stock lights are very visable from behind, but are blocked from the side by the cases. Since I remove the cases for at least half my riding, I am torn between leaving the blinkers where they are or moving them. There could be a state law regarding visability, so check that out.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 12:18 PM

I didn't relocate mine. I just got some compact and inexpensive turn signals from cycle gear. They were short enough to leave as is, and the turn signals "holes" in the rack are now just additional tie-down points.

Either way, it's easy to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 Versys...still bonding to the bike.
2005 Husaberg FE450E. I LOVE this one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
... dirt bike built for my wife.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 12:32 PM

I made it a 4 beer project.

I extended the wires farther than the diagram. I drilled small holes near the relocation bracket. I used shrink tube to make it all clean looking.

I am happy with the result.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies, I think its time I pull the trigger. In IL you don't need rear signals if you use hand signals, at least thats what I'm told. Obviously from a persoanl safety standpoint I'd want others to see the indicators.

Chris
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorman View Post
All of the above is correct. The brackets come with the extra wire and it is probably a ten minute job. I have had the brackets for six months but have yet to move the lights. The stock lights are very visable from behind, but are blocked from the side by the cases. Since I remove the cases for at least half my riding, I am torn between leaving the blinkers where they are or moving them. There could be a state law regarding visability, so check that out.

Same here, I don't think i'll ever move them....

'15 DL1000
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 08:15 PM

What part Of IL?

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies, I think its time I pull the trigger. In IL you don't need rear signals if you use hand signals, at least thats what I'm told. Obviously from a persoanl safety standpoint I'd want others to see the indicators.

Chris
Im in the Spfld Area. I relocated mine-because I didnt think to check if they cleared otherwise!

2008 Versys
Muzzy Exhaust-race core!!

Upgraded Kawi Windshield
Madstadd Bracket
Fiamm 132 db low note horn

Osram Hyper 65 h7 lights

Kawi/Givi V35 Bags
Shad SH-29 Top Case
SW-Motech Quick release Brackets
Sw-Motech Alu-Rack
Garmin GPSMap 60csx

Joe Rocket Manta Tankbag-Red
Kawi Tank Protector
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satex View Post
I didn't relocate mine. I just got some compact and inexpensive turn signals from cycle gear. They were short enough to leave as is, and the turn signals "holes" in the rack are now just additional tie-down points.

Either way, it's easy to do.
I didnt touch mine, heck I even left the stock ones in place.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti20vturbo View Post
I didnt touch mine, heck I even left the stock ones in place.
Hey mike, would the touring shield be sufficient for me? I'm 5'11" and get a lot of buffeting w/ the stock windshield above 55mph or so. Do you have a return policy if in the end it's not what I'm looking for?

Thanks,
Chris
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

So I pulled the trigger on the sw motech side racks along w/ a pair of Givi e41 keyless panniers. Mrs. slowfaller chose Memphis, TN as our first multi day ride from Chicago, quite bold if you ask me
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

The side racks/cases were installed on Monday and I left the blinkers where they were. For some reason I thought it was necessary to relocate them but there's plenty of room, till next time...(I have a tomtom rider v2 coming so I'm sure I'll have a n00b question on that )

Chris
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 11:11 AM

Pictures?

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by potus2012 View Post
Pictures?
yeah man

post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 01:06 PM

I see a Rock Band Box. Woo Hoo...

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti20vturbo View Post
I see a Rock Band Box. Woo Hoo...
LOL rockband is pretty sweet
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 04:06 PM
vp7

I just installed the sw-motech racks but for some reason once I tried to put on the removable racks the attachment points didn't line up too well, especially on the left side. Not sure if I forgot to install something or some washer or such. Anybody have a close up pick of the top rack? They come off pretty easy but putting them on is a bit of a struggle.

Moon Dust Gray Versys, with lots of farkles.

Vlast

P.S. I bought my Versys to support my photography hobby.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode