Speedy GPS Mount & Givi Windscreen compatibility - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Speedy GPS Mount & Givi Windscreen compatibility

Does anyone know (hopefully from 1st hand experience) whether Speedy's GPS mount and the Givi D405ST windscreen are compatible with one another?

The issue I'm concerned with is the angle of the windscreen possibly being more steep than the stock windscreen such that the windscreen hits the GPS mount.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 04:38 PM

bbooker,

I use Speedy's GPS mount and the Givi screen together. The only complication is that the angle of the screen is such that it is difficult to get the security screw in and out of the Garmin Zumo mount with Garmin's included keychain screwdriver. That doesn't matter to me, though, because I don't use the screw anyway. I will not leave a $900 dollar GPS on my bike for any length of time, when anyone with a jewler's screwdriver, or a toothpick, for that matter, could remove it. I can't show any pics, because my V is still in storage, but they work well together for me.
Visionary
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 08:21 PM

it will depend where you position your gps mount on the plate.

I wanted the Zumo high enough on the plate so that I could see the tach completely.

The mechanism for the Zumo cradle was in contact with the wind screen in such a way that you could not remove the Gps from the cradle.

I found some 5/8 inch black nylon spacers to move the cradle away from the screen so the latch would work then I found that the security screw would tighten down so much that the only way to remove the screw was to remove the windscreen so that I could get the screw driver in there. This got old after a couple of days.

I made a velcro strap to secure the Zumo in the cradle so that it can be more easily removed.

The Speedy gps mount has provided hours of fun for me.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 06:38 AM

I have both and have had no issues other than the security screw which I don't use. It is really worthless considering that the GPS is held in the cradle by two plastic pins. I have my screen in the highest position and the GPS as high as I could put it on the bracket. Just make sure it isn't too high on the plate before you drill.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbooker View Post
Does anyone know (hopefully from 1st hand experience) whether Speedy's GPS mount and the Givi D405ST windscreen are compatible with one another?

The issue I'm concerned with is the angle of the windscreen possibly being more steep than the stock windscreen such that the windscreen hits the GPS mount.
Brian, you drill your own mounting holes on the speedy mounting plate, so you have control over how high your GPS will be. I set mine up so that when the clamp on the Zumo mount is up, it just clears the (stock) windshield. Works great.
-Alan
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 08:30 AM

Cool Not-so-secure screw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
... the security screw ... is really worthless considering that the GPS is held in the cradle by two plastic pins.
The "security" screw isn't only to protect against theft (which it would not do very well, I agree) but it also prevents the clamp from popping open accidentally. The clamp can open if you hit a good bump, etc.

I replaced the Garmin screw with a knurled screw that I can work with my fingers. I ordered mine from somebody in Europe (found on the UK Versys forum) but there is now a guy in the US selling them as well:

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49002

Here's a picture of what it looks like (not mine, but similar):

And... while I was looking for the link, I found this bit of text:
I just went to the hardware store and picked up a 20mm long M2 screw and ran about 4 nuts all the way up on it (for grip), a little loctite [on the four nuts].
So there you have it, two alternatives to the stock security screw!

-Alan
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordguy View Post
Brian, you drill your own mounting holes on the speedy mounting plate, so you have control over how high your GPS will be. I set mine up so that when the clamp on the Zumo mount is up, it just clears the (stock) windshield. Works great.
-Alan
I inherited my GPS mount from Hooligan when I bought his V. He said it's drilled for the Zumo, which I am picking up tomorrow. I don't yet have the Givi screen; I'm looking at buying either Joshmedley's or MackDaddy's.

Thanks to everyone that replied. This is all good info.

Brian
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 09:41 AM

Thanks for the reminder about the M2 screw with nuts. Good Idea.

My Zumo popped out of the cradle last summer when Matt and I took inappropriate motorcycles on a rough road ride up McClure pass west of Aspen.

Hope I get to take the Versys on roads like that this summer.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 12:12 PM

Thanks! I have always worried about mine popping out at speed.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Milanowski View Post
... Matt and I took inappropriate motorcycles on a rough road ride up McClure pass west of Aspen.
Hope I get to take the Versys on roads like that this summer.
Hah, that Matt is a bad influence on you.

I had my V out on some dirt roads in my town yesterday. The roads were really flat and firm so no drama. The worst part was where I had to go around a pedestrian and the "crown" of the road was more like a "peak".

I have video, but it's still in the camera. I'll see if I can post it this weekend.

-Alan
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 09:35 AM
psc

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionary View Post
bbooker,

...I will not leave a $900 dollar GPS on my bike for any length of time, when anyone with a jewler's screwdriver, or a toothpick, for that matter, could remove it. I can't show any pics, because my V is still in storage, but they work well together for me.
Visionary
Ah no. I am ASSuming that you're talking about the Zumo 550? If so, the "security" screw is not for security from theft, but to secure the top flap of the mount from opening up, thereby causing the unit to fall off. I threw away the provided screw driver a long time ago. Instead, I installed a knurled handled screw from some vendor on the Zumo forum. He also advertises on the ADV forum. Oh yeah, when stopping for lunch etc, I have a cover for the unit that does not say ZUMO (here steal me), but rather a wadded up MickyD's bag, with grease stains to boot. No one but raccoons have come by to investigate.

Back to the thread: I too have the Givi and the Zumo with the Speedy mount. I even tilted the screen toward me via 1/2" rubber spacers. Except for the initial fiddling (fat and short fingers wrestling with short and tiny screws), everything came out fine. Just take a spare hour, a pint or two of Guinness and some patience...

Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode