Vario Windscreen mod - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Vario Windscreen mod

I made a minor mod to my Kawasaki Vario screen that made a big difference for me at 6'-2. Using a Dremel with cutoff wheel and drum sander attachment, I trimmed the lower part of the screen down to match the cowling curve and allow me to swap the lower thicker Vario spacers to the top without crashing the screen into the cowling. Now the windscreen matches the headlight curve and diverts the air over my helmet. This mod also eliminated the headlight reflection on the lower part of the screen. The original front trim of the Vario did not match the Versys cowling shapes very well.

Gordon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 03:56 PM

Thumbs up

Nice job gordonM...I've got the exact screen acomin in the brown truck and I'm going to follow your lead with Mr. Dremel...

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 06:07 PM

Looks like a plan
... about how many mm from the base of the screen did you remove?
(just to give me an idea how deep to cut) or did you use the original screen as a template?

Last edited by sambamboo; 03-29-2009 at 06:09 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 07:23 PM

Great Mod, I was thinking of doing the same thing. You beat me to it, looks like it is going to work. Thanks for the post and pics

Regards,

Dave

2009 Versys (Metallic Moon dust Gray) Speedy lowering pegs, Speedy Kick stand pad, Speedy Mirror extensions, Vario Windshield, Oxford heated grips and SW-Motech Engine Guards.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 KLR (Red) - Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

The pink in this picture shows the material that I trimmed away. Do not try to cut all of it at once. It took me three trimmings to get it right. Cover the area with masking tape and draw a line on the tape to follow, and cut thru the tape or sand up to the line on the tape. Do some trial fits on the Versys with the edge covered with tape, you can hold a pen between two fingers rested on the cowling and run your fingers along the cowling to transfer the curve onto the tape.

When you are happy with the trim use some sandpaper wrapped around a small piece of wood to smooth the edge out.

Gordon

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 03:58 AM

Been thinking of attempting this mod. However i was wondering if i should first try and space out the top 2 bolts half an inch, to push a little more air higher...
Has anyone done this with success, as currently I can get in a good quiet zone if i do a Quasimodo over the tank as it is, so I'm assuming it would be even better if i made the screen more Vertical.

I've also seen a post of someone adding the original screen in place of the winglet on the Vario, but i cant seem to find it >.< can some one post the link too please.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 06:07 AM

also i saw a post somewhere of a standard screen being put in place of the winglet ...anyone know where this post is?[/quote]

I saw this on the UK site http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?op..._smf&Itemid=45, just do a search.

Regards,

Dave

2009 Versys (Metallic Moon dust Gray) Speedy lowering pegs, Speedy Kick stand pad, Speedy Mirror extensions, Vario Windshield, Oxford heated grips and SW-Motech Engine Guards.

2008 KLR (Red) - Sold
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 08:13 AM

Cheers Dave ...sorry for the multiple replies earlier ...damn Computer bugs :/

found the post link here ...interesting idea http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?op...5&topic=5244.0

Last edited by sambamboo; 04-11-2009 at 08:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode