"Getting an Extra Inch up Front"...well almost - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
"Getting an Extra Inch up Front"...well almost

After reading a large number of comments in the forums in reference to the Standard Seat being uncomfortable and causing the rider to slide forward, I thought about how one could alleviate this issue cheaply and easily.

I decided firstly that i didn't want to mess with the tongue on the front of the seat so i had to work out a way of raising up both the top Plate and the base, or tongue rest.

to do this i Used a 8mm Plastic Chopping board water/damage proof from the local $2 Shop (Pic 1)
i then used a Saw to cut 3 pieces to the width of the top plate (Pic 2)

3 x 8mm = 24mm or close enough to 1" (settled on using only '16mm' for my bike)

I placed the top plate on the board and marked the holes.

Using the round washer style inserts that mount into the rubber grommets I lined up the holes and drew around the outside of both giving me the basic design for the tongue rest, the idea being to have it sandwiched between the 2 mounting bolts stacked with washers.

I decided to Glue the 3 pieces together as it would make it easier to craft the right shape and take out the half moon of material on each side,
once dry i used a Dremel to grind back the plastic (although a half moon style file would work just as well). (Pic 3)

I went to my local Fastener place and bought 2 x 50mm bolts, and a stack of about 40 washers as close too the original size of the grommet insert as i could (erring on the side of larger rather than smaller).

It was then just a matter of stacking the 3 pieces in the gap and adding the appropriate number of washers to the bolts to get the right slot size for the Seat Tongue. (Pic. 4)

after about 100kms with it raised 24mm I established that it was to high (for me) and my weight was to far forward, so i dropped the height down to 16mm by removing 1 section of the board and this seems perfect.
I have also added a sheepskin cover which hides the larger gaps that usually can be seen by this type of raising on the sides of the seat.

I've noticed that there are 2 small additional mounting points at the front of the seat to either side of the seat tongue that should rest on the cross-frame, so I'm going to fabricate up some additional supports to raise this area up as well ( with the seat being supported at the front by only the tongue its a little bit flexy)

(I'll add more detailed photos of the installation on my bike tomorrow as i left it at work tonight Doh.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Back at work now ...unfortunately, here are some pic's of the seat mount
There is still a touch of free play where the tongue slots in so I'll remove a washer or two to tighten things up.

as you can see the Woolen seat cover hides the gaps well, and is comfortable to boot.

These are the tabs to either side of the tongue i need to support..I'll have a plan of action, and pic's over the next week.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 06:18 PM

where'd you get the wool seat cover?

08 Versys 32+k and counting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Place called "Good Wool Store" its in Berry in NSW Australia very prompt service and good quality (free plug) website is www.goodwool.com.au
they also do rain covers.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 07:18 PM

I made a few changes to my bike this winter were added a set of Roxy Bar Risers and a set of Speedy's Peg lowers and the first this I noticed this spring was that I sat at the back of my seat. Not sure what did it but that's all it took and it sure made a difference in the ride! I thought about changing the seat but I was more concerned about a different riding position and sure glad I made the decision I did.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

The peg lowering kits for both passenger and rider from speedy are the next set of farkles on my list.(actually just bought them today ...now the wait begins) Fortunately as i am able to adjust the Seat height down by 8mm just by taking a section of board and washers out i should be able to keep it comfortable.

Last edited by sambamboo; 03-24-2009 at 03:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode