Wiring for a female USB adapter - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wiring for a female USB adapter

Hey guys.

I've been wanting to wire up a USB (that's right, as in the PC standard port) into my Versys for a while now. My cell phone is USB powered and so is my GPS. I seriously think a female USB plug would end up being more useful than a cigarette lighter plug.

The only thing required for a power only USB plug would ve a +5 volt and ground. The data lines won't be needed for charging only. The draw according to spec is 500mA normally.

Pin Name Cable color Description
1 VCC Red +5 VDC
2 D- White Data -
3 D+ Green Data +
4 GND Black Ground

I'd much rather get a kit that wires directly to the battery, but I haven't seen one yet. They're a bit hard to search for specifically and if you spot one you're never sure if its what you need.

Avoiding screwing up my electrical system with a head light wire job would be perferable, but I really like the idea of having the plug power off when the bike is turned off.

Any tips? I'll keep digging and update with anything I come up with. Thanks.

- 2008 Versys: H&B Cage, Kona Throttle Lock, Fenda-Extenda, Givi Windscreen, Givi Monorack/V46, and Motorwerk Lowering Kit
- 2002 Ninja EX250-H13: Nothing! They don't make accessories for the H13...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 04:26 PM

I have a car charger that plugs into a car power outlet that is just a female USB port. Would that not do what you want if you had a power outlet?

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 04:32 PM

I wired one of these up to my ZX6R when I went on a 2 week touring ride:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6772

I used it for the same purpose that you are looking for; to power my cellphone/GPS. I just cut off the male cig. power connector and hard wired it to the battery.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 02:14 PM

Great find it even has the +5VDC regulator internal. This would work great and is cheap.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback guys. In Canada (at least in Ottawa) you can find the same adapter Xo0oM has for about $24. I just saw it last week and was thinking of picking one up now that the weather is getting better.

Xo0oM: You said you cut off the male end, but wasn't the fuse part of the male plug? Did you replace the fuse with an inline style one? If so, what volt/amp fuse spec did you use?

- 2008 Versys: H&B Cage, Kona Throttle Lock, Fenda-Extenda, Givi Windscreen, Givi Monorack/V46, and Motorwerk Lowering Kit
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by under View Post

Xo0oM: You said you cut off the male end, but wasn't the fuse part of the male plug? Did you replace the fuse with an inline style one? If so, what volt/amp fuse spec did you use?
Yeah, I cut off the cig power adapter part which had a fuse built into it. I added a 10amp inline fuse to it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

USB hook up done!

So I picked up the 3 x cigarette plug + USB adapter from Canadian Tire for $20 along with an inline fuse adapter and a 10 amp fuse. Everything wired up as you would expect. I thought I could post a pick or two for anyone else looking for ideas. This adapter fits the under seat user manual box perfectly. The toolset was moved to the back most box. If you pull the rubber strap over it, it'll fit fine. I used snap connects instead of soldering not only for quick wiring but also so I can quickly disconnect the adapter if needed. (it is wired directly to the battery of course)

This is all in anticipation of my new-ish GPS that should arrive on Monday. I ordered a Garmin Nuvi 660 with a ram mount. I'll just run a USB extension cable from under the seat up to the unit. Mission accomplished!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode