Kawasaki Luggage Delays?!? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Kawasaki Luggage Delays?!?

I ordered the Kawa side cases months ago. My dealer keeps telling me they're on backorder because of a quality control issue with the 'made by Givi for Kawa' cases. Has anyone else heard anything about this? Has anyone ordered and received the Kawa cases in the last three months? This is getting really frustrating. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 10:43 AM

Yes I have. My dealer told me they will be released in about 30 days.Have you heard anything about you cannot use a top case with the bags if so why not.Iam trying to make a touring bike and Ineed the storage.Thanks Terry
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Terry, the mounting brackets that Kawasaski sells are not compatible with each other. However there are many aftermarket parts that will work together. Do a little looking on the site and you will find lots of options.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 12:14 PM

Months? sheesh....

I ordered mine and paid for them when I bought the bike 2 or 3 weeks ago. The check has been cashed.

I'm giving my dealer about a month to deliver and then I'll cancel the order and get em from Twisted Throttle in about 4 days. I'll keep the color panels on order with the dealer a little while longer.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 07:50 PM

I have been waiting well over 8 weeks.
Called my dealer yesterday. I was told at least 2 more weeks.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 03:34 AM

Kawa and GIVI

Hey guys...
I have bought the GIVI and the Kawa panniers. The GIVI panniers are sold complete and ready to install.. The Kawa ones require you to buy the pannier Side covers and they do not provide the small grub screws for mounting. Both my VERSYS decal on the side of the panniers has gone missing probably due to the lousy double sided tape used to affix it. Basically there are no difference between the KAWA and GIVI boxes. But i would recommend to buy the GIVI.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLOYD TERRY DALTON View Post
Yes I have. My dealer told me they will be released in about 30 days.Have you heard anything about you cannot use a top case with the bags if so why not.Iam trying to make a touring bike and Ineed the storage.Thanks Terry
The branded Kawasaki luggage comes from different manufacturers (Givi for the panniers, SW Motech (I think) for the top box). if you buy the panniers and top box from the same manufacturer (ie all Givi or all SW Motech or all whoever) you shouldn't have a problem.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 10:54 AM

Howdy Folks,

Here's the deal. It's a legal issue. I ordered some (Givi-made Kawi side cases) about two months ago - on sale. They weren't in stock at the shop though. They originally told me they were on backorder, then when I didn't hear anything after a few weeks I called back and they told me that Kawasaki was in legal action regarding the the use of the cases - they covere-up the on-bike reflectors. I just called Kawasaki customer service yesterday and they they told me that the DOT has required some form of reflecting device to be fitted to the sides of the cases before they can sold again. Kawasaki said the time-frame for the backorders to be filled is indefinite.

Regarding the question of the use of the Kawasaki provided trunk rack and side case rack - The rear trunk rack is made by SW-Motech. The sidecase rack is made by Givi. Kawaski specifically utilized this combo to prevent possible overloading of the bike by ostensibly making the two incompatible. However, all you have to do is cut-0ff and file down the grab-handles on the side case carrier racks, then mount the SW-Motech trunk rack on top of the side-case mounts. I know this works as I did it - I happenned to get a VERY good deal on the two racks together when I bought the bike. I prefer the SW-Motech rear trunk rack to the Givi made rear trunk rack anyways.

I hope all that provides some clarification.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 01:58 PM

Yesterday I received the hardbag reflector recall letter.

Today I get a call from the Kawasaki dealer that the green trim panels for the bags are in for pick up and off back order. So off I go to get them and see how they fit on the Givi bags.

Looks like they turned the spigot on and started shipping the bags and trim panels.

Gordon
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 07:51 AM

The Kawasaki Trim panels do fit he Givi bags and are the same. The trim panels do come with the mounting screws also. takes about 15 minutes to change out. It will take a while to get used to the look since having the all black Givi bags that actually looked pretty good on the bike too. Guys at work still rib me for "riding the green hornet to work again"

Gordon

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonM View Post
The Kawasaki Trim panels do fit he Givi bags and are the same. The trim panels do come with the mounting screws also. takes about 15 minutes to change out. It will take a while to get used to the look since having the all black Givi bags that actually looked pretty good on the bike too. Guys at work still rib me for "riding the green hornet to work again"

Gordon
That's great to hear. When I got tired of waiting for the Kawi bags to be released off "back order" and ordered the Givi bags I kept the color matched Cool Lime Green trim panels on order with Kawi hoping they would fit. Now, I just have to wait for Kawi to ship them to my dealer. I have the Ermax hugger in green also so I'm hoping the trim panels will tie it all together; making it all look like it belongs on the bike from the start.

My toys:
'09 Versys in Cool Lime ~ '06 Harley Roadking
'95 Suzuki DR350S ~ '94 Suzuki DR350S
'09 Kawi STX15F jet ski ~ '07 Kawi STX12F Jetski
'09 Yamaha Superjet ~ '13 Ram 4X4 3500 Cummins
'09 BMW 535i ~ '10 Kubota B3300SU

Last edited by DennisD; 04-25-2009 at 11:34 AM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 05:52 PM

The inserts are available in green? Nice! Does that mean we can get red now? I'm still pissed that they advertised them and then stuck us with black.

And has anyone seen the reflector kit? I'm not going in for the recall until I know what it will look like. If it looks cheap or ugly, I'm not doing it.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 06:20 PM

I too got the recall notice. Says if you have the GIVI bags on your Versys that this doesn't apply to you. The Givis do not have reflectors btw.

The reflector is just a cheap stick-on one. I'm sure the dealer will need the bike for 5 days to get er done.

The recall says you can stick it on yourself and don't have to go into a dealer. They provide a postcard to send in to get your kit.

My bags and panels have not come in yet.

I have a theory why this is happening. Some Versys owner who had the factory bags got t-boned and sued the **** out of Kawasaki.

Another thing I noticed is that Kawasaki has removed the bags from the available accesories for the Versys on their web site.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 08:09 AM
BPF

Quote:
Originally Posted by greidel View Post
The inserts are available in green? Nice! Does that mean we can get red now? I'm still pissed that they advertised them and then stuck us with black.
Off topic here but I just saw someone with red inserts on another thread. No idea where to get them. Waiting on my blue ones still, hoping this recall helps get them in. I'm putting the blue ones on my Givi bags, not "Kawi" bags.

BPF
2009 Blue Versys
Omaha,NE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode