Exhaust note - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Exhaust note

I decided to post this question in the cosmetic mods section even though it's about exhausts. I want to put on an aftermarket exhaust for the pure sound of it. I'm after a really nice sounding deep but not ear shattering exhaust note. I'm a cop in a small town and shaking the windows thru town would be asking for trouble. At the same time I want to be heard. My Staff Sgt. drives a Harley and he says I'm wasting my time. He says that small twins just make an obnoxious long fart sound with aftermarket exhausts. There are alot of sound bites on the web of bikes being revved on the kick stand which doesn't really help me out. Any thoughts/opinions /advice would be much appreciated.

I hope you'll forgive me but I have an er6n not a versys. The engines are so similar I think the sound would be virtually identical.

'09 er6n
'89 Transalp
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 11:11 AM

I put a Scorpion on mine. It was way too loud. I put an aftermarket (actually a Harley product) baffle in it. Now it sounds like a Ferrarri. It sounds really good, but still kind of loud when I get on it. The part that bothers me most is the phrase "For Offroad Use Only" stamped right on it. I know I am busted if I ever get stopped. The Police around here just won't give you a break.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 11:36 AM

I like my Arrow WITH the DB killer in. Out it's way too loud. I am partial to the LV sound. Went with the Arrow strictly from a price point. It's quality built, but inexpensive.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 12:03 PM

My fav clips...keep in mind its a bit louder in real life....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IkgpB6aZF8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrTUkv_FgeE
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 01:12 PM

i'm going for the GPR gpe exhaust should be about 3weeks sounds great looks are ok but isn't the prettiest out there heard it on youtube don't have a link and don't know if it is sold in the us
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 02:05 PM

leo vince rules, but the akrapovic is supposed to be the quietest according the 650R crowd.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

In my opinion, you'll not find a better sound without a big increase in volume than this:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...read.php?t=578

He was a Versys owner & a member here. I don't know if he's still selling the kits, but he put instructions & a parts list in the thread so you can build it yourself.

Oh, & welcome!!

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
In my opinion, you'll not find a better sound without a big increase in volume than this:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...read.php?t=578

He was a Versys owner & a member here. I don't know if he's still selling the kits, but he put instructions & a parts list in the thread so you can build it yourself.

Oh, & welcome!!

+1 for 08 Versys' custom mod. I bought the parts required up here for about $50. The sound is amazing and with the exhaust tip in place the sound is not too loud at all. I will say without the tip there is a resonance that may get anoying after a while. The tone quality is somewhere between a Ducati 1098 and a Triumph Thruxton. I say giver'er a go. If it's not what your looking for your only out $40 US. A lot better than buying a $300 slip on only to find out you didn't like the volume or tone.

Good luck and play safe.

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 09:52 PM

i really like the sound of the stock silencer. i was surprised that it wasn't quiet.

i have had loud. I much prefer stealth.

best sounding bike? Triumph Scrambler with 270 deg engine and an Arrow exhaust.

next i like the wail of the Triumph Tripple. i come out of my skin when one of those passes me on the track at 140mph. they sound so damn angry.

next a sv650 with a TwoBrothers exhaust

next. any desmodeci ducati.

next would be a Sportster 883. The Twinkies (big twins) sound like KLRs.

worst sounding bike of all time is any of the Honda dual pin Shadows. And they only slightly edge out the Waterboy (VRod).
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Did I read that wrong? You're saying you DON'T think the stock silencer is quiet?

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 05:07 AM

I fitted my arrow slip on yesterday.It sounds absolutely awesome,just enough boom so that the crate drivers can hear me coming.Oh and my v revs all the way to 10500 rpm now, with stock I barely got past 8500rpm
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input and links. This is exactly the stuff I was looking for. I think it's going to come down to a blend of opinions, sound bites, cost and looks. That home made unit sho ain't pretty but it's hard to argue the cost and praise. Seeing as I have at least another month before I can hit the road I'm going to give it a shot. Cheers.

'09 er6n
'89 Transalp
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world."
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 10:42 AM

This brings up another point. With any of the slipon cans do you have to put some kind of fuel management mod on? I'm worried about running to lean stock. Just adding a exhaust with no dyno and these California emission bikes seems like a crapshoot for fuel mixture. Is this a worry or not? Mike
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansom Bob View Post
This brings up another point. With any of the slipon cans do you have to put some kind of fuel management mod on? I'm worried about running to lean stock. Just adding a exhaust with no dyno and these California emission bikes seems like a crapshoot for fuel mixture. Is this a worry or not? Mike
There's a couple threads that touch on the subject and the general consensus is no other mods necessary. An exhaust by itself or an air filter by itself appears to be ok. The two combined will lean out the mix noticably, possibly causing a problem for the motor. Check out http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=2773 and http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/fo...k-now-k-n.html
There are alot of wrench heads here that will have good advice if you can illict a response.

'09 er6n
'89 Transalp
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 11:11 AM

Thanks Newguy, I'll check them out. I already bought the cherry bomb muffler but had not put it on because of this issue. I have Harleys that I have gone through the whole deal of muffler air cleaner and the HD downloads and it makes a big difference, so I'm glad for the input here. Mike

Last edited by Hansom Bob; 03-11-2009 at 11:30 AM.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newguy View Post
The two combined will lean out the mix noticably, possibly causing a problem for the motor.
Gona have to look into that one...i was thinking of getting a airfilter but if this is true i might as wait and get a JB to go with it.

08 Versys (Red)
Two Brothers Slip-On V.A.L.E. Exhaust
Two Brothers Juice Box
Arrow Headers
Motowerk Lowering kit w/Flatfoot
SW-MOTECH Crashbars/Engine Guards w/Hwy Pegs
SW-MOTECH mirror wideners
Rear Spool Sliders

~Comming soon~
Front Axel Sliders
Red LED Body Kit

1980 Kawi KZ1000 LTD
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newguy View Post
There's a couple threads that touch on the subject and the general consensus is no other mods necessary. An exhaust by itself or an air filter by itself appears to be ok. The two combined will lean out the mix noticably, possibly causing a problem for the motor. Check out http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=2773 and http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/fo...k-now-k-n.html
There are alot of wrench heads here that will have good advice if you can illict a response.
I have the Akrapovic ti end can and as I've stated in earlier posts the can is about as quiet as the stock exhaust, and without, you'll be heard. I can't judge as a comparison from sound bites, but the tone is very "nice" either way. I chose to stick with my stock can, only because I seem to be leaning more and more towards the "quiet" end of the spectrum. The akra can be yours if you'd like, since it's only used as a paperweight now. I have pics of the bike with the pipe on it in the members gallery under my name. If your interested I would need to get $185.00 shipped. It is actually NOT designed for this bike, but for the Ninja 650R. The swingarm is different for the V. I bought my bike very early on, perhaps one of the first, and assumed that the cans were the same.....you'll find out that MOST are. It is in excellent condition, just as you'll see in the pics.......I went back and forth for awhile and couldn't decide whether or not to sell, but.......

Last edited by redline; 03-11-2009 at 11:53 AM.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 12:35 PM

Your gona love this...

http://www.exhaust-notes.com/

08 Versys (Red)
Two Brothers Slip-On V.A.L.E. Exhaust
Two Brothers Juice Box
Arrow Headers
Motowerk Lowering kit w/Flatfoot
SW-MOTECH Crashbars/Engine Guards w/Hwy Pegs
SW-MOTECH mirror wideners
Rear Spool Sliders

~Comming soon~
Front Axel Sliders
Red LED Body Kit

1980 Kawi KZ1000 LTD
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I went with the kit from 08 Versys (where are you) when I had 2000 miles. The result was that it leaned out pretty good from 2800 to 3800 rpm causing a sputtery condition and hiccups. I loved the sound especially when rolling on hard. I installed a PCIII and loaded the Akra map....OMG, the beast within came out. Bike now has almost 5K, exhaust has burned in and sounds better than ever, smooth in all throttle ranges. When at the dragstrip people freak out when they hear me make a pass (yes I drag my Versys). Bottom line, be prepared to re-tune whatever you decide to go with, especially if your going to be in city traffic commuting like I do. BTW Bear you cracked me up on another post I just read about the 'KLE' sticker and this dood said "KLE...what is KLE...I've only seen Versys" and you told him it's on the owners manual. Later V Nation
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 05:30 PM

I have the Leo Vince SBK Oval EvoII slip on exhaust on my versys and I am really pleased with it. It might be a little louder that stock but not by much but it does have a deeper tone. I haven't attempted taking the baffle out. I've ridden the versys with a two brothers slip on and it was too loud and I didn't like the tone. Sounded like a violent fart to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode