Vario screen - headlight reflection? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to demuire Send a message via Skype™ to demuire
Vario screen - headlight reflection?

I just got a vario screen for my Versys, haven't ridden with it enough to decide if I like it yet or not. However, one thing that I did notice is that I'm getting a reflection of the headlight in the screen, it's quite distracting. I had the same issue with the Puig screen on my SV650 and I ended up sticking electrical tape across the top of the headlight to stop it... Not pretty but it worked...

Is anyone else having this issue? Maybe adjusting the headlight lower would help? However that would mean I wouldn't be able to see as far...

~
FookStar

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Kawasaki Versys (in green!)
Queensland, Australia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 10:09 PM

Interesting...From the looks of the pictures it sits behind the headlight, but its hard to tell from pics. I am curious now as I was just about to buy the vario...

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 04:30 AM

This is a common complaint (on the UK forum) with the Vario screen. It bothered me as well. At first I tried painting the bottom couple of inches of the inside of the screen with flat black paint to minimize the reflection. That helped a lot but not enough so I did what you suggested and put a piece of tape along the top of the headlight housing. The problem is now cured. I used an aluminum tape that I use for taping joints in ductwork (it's not what you'd normally think of as duct tape, that stuff is crap): very sticky and inconspicuous. But guys on the other forum used black electrical tape as well as other kinds of tape.

I think the Vario screen is a step up from the stocker but it doesn't turn the bike into a Goldwing. I still experience wind turbulence, especially at high speeds, unless I'm in a crouch. I don't mind it though. My brother has an old Concourse and he's well protected from the wind blast, but he roasts in the summer.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to demuire Send a message via Skype™ to demuire
Had a closer look tonight and it looks like the reflection is coming off the top edge of the headlight. Not entirely sure what I'm going to do with it yet - tape would probably work the best, but look the worst...

Vario is better than stocker, but not really sure if it's the be-all-end-all yet. Tried adjusting it up and down on my ride home tonight, noise wise it doesn't seem to change much at all. Can certainly feel the wind getting pushed higher as I raise it, but the noise levels are much the same. Less turbulence than with the stock shield though, and I'm not eating bugs all night.

What do you do with the edge protector? I'm assuming the collets go at the ends of the edge protector? I tried running it along the bottom edge of the screen, looks nice but I can't get it to stay in the bottom corners. Maybe it's meant to be run along the top edge? Or around the lip? I'm guessing most people don't use it at all?

~
FookStar

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Kawasaki Versys (in green!)
Queensland, Australia
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 09:13 AM

Reflected light is an issue with the Vario screen. The ways to solve it include tape on the top of the light, as some suggested (which I don't like) or non-refelctive material inside the bottom quarter of the screen. Seems to be worse with the smoked screen than the clear.

The Vario is not a full protection shield, like some, but it is a vast improvement over the stock. I'd have said your need is like mine in SA - better protection, but not to exclude all the air - it's too [email protected] hot otherwise. The trade off is some noise and turbulence. If you want it quiet, get a car

As for the edge protector, most people toss is, look fussy and messy with it on IMHO.

Cheers
Dave
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 09:26 AM

Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
Reflected light is an issue with the Vario screen. The ways to solve it include tape on the top of the light, as some suggested (which I don't like) or non-refelctive material inside the bottom quarter of the screen. Seems to be worse with the smoked screen than the clear.

The Vario is not a full protection shield, like some, but it is a vast improvement over the stock. I'd have said your need is like mine in SA - better protection, but not to exclude all the air - it's too [email protected] hot otherwise. The trade off is some noise and turbulence. If you want it quiet, get a car

As for the edge protector, most people toss is, look fussy and messy with it on IMHO.

Cheers
Dave
Ive got the same issue with mine on the reflection. My screen is in the top notch. I was planning an bending a peice of black abd plastic to fill the void and cut the wind from the center of mine-thus ending the reflection as well. Il let you know how that works
As for the edge protector-I tossed It!!

2008 Versys
Muzzy Exhaust-race core!!

Upgraded Kawi Windshield
Madstadd Bracket
Fiamm 132 db low note horn

Osram Hyper 65 h7 lights

Kawi/Givi V35 Bags
Shad SH-29 Top Case
SW-Motech Quick release Brackets
Sw-Motech Alu-Rack
Garmin GPSMap 60csx

Joe Rocket Manta Tankbag-Red
Kawi Tank Protector
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 07:14 AM

I cut a piece of packing foam ( black ) to fit in front od the windshield mount under the shield. it is thicker than the opening and stays in place very well. No glare. It also cut down on the noise. Also if I replace the windehield with something else I don't have to undo a paint modification. The foam I used is rather large cell foam with a plastic feal to it. Makes it easy to wash it as bugs like to die in there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode