Is there a good touring windshiled for V? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Is there a good touring windshiled for V?

Hi everyone!
I currently own 650R and I think it is fantastic bike, however I am looking now at some long commutes (more when 120 miles) few times a week and 650R ergos are just not good enough for this.
I love the bike and was thinking the easy way out is just getting Versys, same bike, but with touring ergonomics. However it seems most reviewers agrre the wind protection on it is just not good enough!
I have seen quite a few posts here concerning aftermarket windshield options, but it is really unclear to me are they any good?
If you could post your opinions and experiences....
Just for stats, I am 5'10", average guy.
Thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 07:25 PM

Check this thread out: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=2188

I just ordered the Grand Touring. Looks to be the best out there.

Jerry

2008 - Red Versys
Mikes Grand Touring Shield
Cortech Bags
Painted Plastics
Shad 46 Top Case

It matters not how fast you go from point A to point B, itís what you see in between that counts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 07:29 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to kfallscody
I will be ordering the same screen that Oscar.45 mentioned. Just got my versys so am still recovering from writing that check, but am hoping to in the next month or so

Remember that you are unique, just like everybody else.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I have seen this tread, but it is exactly what I meant, when I said I did not see any actual experiences shared there. Basically I want to see, if people have used these shields and - yes it does takes care of buffeting and gives a good wind protection for long rides!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genadyl View Post
yes it does takes care of buffeting and gives a good wind protection for long rides!
Its really a hard question to answer or something to give advice on. It seems that everyone's idea of "good wind protection" and "little to no buffeting" is different. Heck there are people that ride GoldWings that complain about wind protection and buffeting.

There are a ton of people that ride ST1300s, FJRs and Concours that complain about good wind protection so you have to take peoples remarks with a grain of salt. I honestly think some people want the same protection a car provides yet they want to ride a motorcycle.

As far as the Versys goes, with the GT the wind protection is about as good as its gonna get. Is it as good as my ST1300? Nope but its pretty darn good.

One reason you have not read many reviews about the GT is I just started making them and have sold maybe 5. Most of those went to northern states where riding is on hold till summer.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info man.
I understand the thing is purely subjective.
So to explain what I mean... I ride 650R now, so basically no wind protection and it fine unless you do long freeway commute (hate this!).
I also have Shadow 750 cruiser for the two up relaxed days. And this is the one I had worse experience with. I bought this huge and expensive screen, for the comfort and guess what... Yes it cuts all the wind to the chest and head and directs it exactly at the top of the helmet. So you feel like you are constantly in a boxing match and you are not winning! After few minutes on the freeway I was getting headache and worse.
This is what I mean by buffeting.
I am looking for a decent chest and throat protection, without creating a huge turbulence what trying to knock you out!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 10:28 AM

Agreed that this has been highly subjective.
IMHO, it would be best to get MadStad Adjustable Brackets whatever screen you fix.
That way will cater to your personel preferences and make you enjoy your ride.

http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/it.A/id.151/.f

Cheers.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 11:07 AM

Hey guy's,

I ordered a GT from Mike. I live in Colorado and believe me we see every kind of weather. I plan on writing an evaluation of the screen after I use it for a couple of weeks. I know about the boxing match feeling. I removed my GIVI screen because of this and am now using the stock. Hang tight and I will let you all know as soon as I can.

Jerry

2008 - Red Versys
Mikes Grand Touring Shield
Cortech Bags
Painted Plastics
Shad 46 Top Case

It matters not how fast you go from point A to point B, itís what you see in between that counts.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlee29 View Post
That way will cater to your personel preferences and make you enjoy your ride.

Cheers.
The electric shield on my ST has been the best solution to all the issues I could face behind a shield. I can put it all the way down for steady airflow, raise it up to just below my line of sight for good protection or higher for complete silence.

With the GT I have found for me, its best in either the bottom holes or top holes (middle ones cause more noise for me). Being able to mount the shield at various heights really helps to fine tune it.

If you guys want to drill any of the shields you use to try mounting them lower or higher just get yourself a masonry bit and a high speed drill. Mark the shield where you want to drill it then put a piece of masking tape over the future hole on the outside of the shield (side that faces forward). Then put the shield with the outside facing down on a piece of wood and drill it from the inside out (drill on side that faces towards the rider). Use high RPM and light pressure and more or less melt your way through. Chamfer the holes with a countersink once you are done but this time use very low rpm or just twist the countersink by hand.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 01:23 PM

new screen

The new touring version of the versys, out here in the UK about now comes with a adjustable flip up screen, if you go onto www.motorcyclenews.com and link in to versys new touring version it shows a picture of the screen, looks bigger and you can see the flip up adjuster. I will try to get a price from my local kwaker dealer and post it asap,

Life is not measured by the number of breaths
we take, But by the moments that take our breath away,.,.

Last edited by yoyo; 03-07-2009 at 01:36 PM.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 03:48 PM

I dont see a link anywhere on that page for a Versys?

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 04:31 PM

I am presently using Mikes large touring shield plus a Madstad bracket.

Have not been able to get a whole bunch of miles due to weather, but so far I can say that Mike's shield is going to be a keeper. I can generally set the shield so that I can find a spot that gives me some pretty good comfort. Some days are such that you can hardly get comfortable in your car.

The combination of the movable bracket and the shape of the shield with the flip at the top gives a lot of options for placement depending on conditions.

I also have the Calsci large shield, and it has done a good job for me as well. It is just a little bit bigger than Mike's, but not much. I have not used the Calsci with the Madstad bracket.

I like the looks of Mike's large shield, and I think the flip at the top helps get the wind over my head .

The flip at the top causes distortion so it is not good to look through. With the bracket though, there is enough adjustment so that you can set it to look over the top and still get some quiet air.

Over the past 4 years and 4 different bikes, I have tried a lot of shields, and can say that there is no one that is best. All of them have some good and not so good points.Not everyone feels wind the same way.

I can say that Mike's unit is as good as any I have used, and I intend to keep it on my bike. He makes a good shield for a fair price, my guess is you won't be sorry if you try one of his.

Regards August

Edited to add somewhere on this site I have posted a bunch of pictures of Mike's shield and the bracket and how I mounted mine and painted the bottom to hide the unsightly bracket. A search should find the topic on windshields.

Anybody else think these buffalo wings taste a lot like chicken?

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Restored 69 Honda Trail 90
Whizzer motorbike

Last edited by august; 03-07-2009 at 04:33 PM.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 03:15 PM

screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti20vturbo View Post
hi sorry yes the link is no longer there.
Go to www.kawasaki.co.uk and follow the link to versys new tourer you can get a not to good view of the new bike.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 05:13 PM

Looks like the Vario Screen but maybe not.

https://www.kawasaki.co.uk/news.asp?Id=340E55EEBBC

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 08:09 PM

Hi Guys,

Have been using the Puig screen this few days.
Slightly bigger than stock but it's okay with me.
Testing with this size screen having needing good airflow as my climate here is hot and humid.
As I mentioned, IMHO, the MadStad Adjustable Brackets is best way to go.
Well, maybe get it someday.

gti20vturbo, Thanks for the tips of drilling holes in the screen. Planning to maybe raise my screen a bit by making some holes as you mentioned. Had already tested the airflow by putting ribbons pasted on my puig to see how the airflow goes around.

Thanks, Guys. Ride Fast and Safe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0493.jpg (632.0 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0494.jpg (804.5 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0495.jpg (710.4 KB, 96 views)
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti20vturbo View Post
does look abit like the vario in that picture but there are some better ones I will try to post, I think its very much like the vario but it has a ajustable flip up section at the top looks good in the other pics..

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Unfortunately if it is just goes into production in Europe it does not mean we are going to see it here over the pond...
Took Kawi a good few years to bring it to states to start with.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 07:17 AM

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 11:04 AM

I'm selling a new Cee Bailey 19" domed top for $80 boxed and shipped in the continental US. I bought the 19" which worked great, but I thought the taller one would give me more flexability. Cee Bailey told me to keep the 19" instead of sending it back. So, my windfall is your gain. Less than half price delivered. Mounted once. It is completely flawless. Shoot an email to me at [email protected]. You will love it.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/kawasaki/versys_06_ws.html
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
The new touring version of the versys, out here in the UK about now comes with a adjustable flip up screen
In case you missed the previous discussions, there is no difference between the "touring" version and the regular version. All it is is an accessory package. Same accessories you can buy separately, at (some) discount. Since parts (and bikes) are typically cheaper in the US, you can have your very own US Versys Touring for less money than it's sold in Europe as a package, even if you have to buy the accessories at retail...

Gustavo

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode