Installing KTM Handguards - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Installing KTM Handguards

I got a set of KTM handguards (here <$60 shipped UPS, arrived in a week from the west coast). I installed them today when I should have been working. Self-employment has its advantages. Fairly straightforward install, could probably do it in under half an hour now that I've done it once.

Some observations:

These guards are very substantial molded plastic, beefier than I would have guessed. The wind facing surface is smooth and glossy, and there is no KTM ID except for "KTM" and "Made in Austria" molded on the inside. Everything is marked L or R (sometimes in tiny letters) and needs to go on the appropriate side. I cleaned them with Plexis plastic polish after the install and they shine.

They installed using the supplied hardware plus two stainless steel washers I had in my collection. The OEM cable looms (the little plastic loops that hold cables in place and snap into a hole on the bars) need to be removed since they attach to the bars right where the guards' inboard brackets need to go. Figures. They won't likely be missed as the guards fit underneath and provide support for the cables. Nothing appears to bind when the bars move lock to lock. I loosened the brake line bolt on the back of the fluid reservoir to fit the right guard underneath, then moved it back and tightened it up.

I suggest you attach the inboard clamps first (use the supplied collars and play with them first so you know how they fit), then bolt on the ends. There is some flex in the plastic which you'll want to take advantage of; you want to mount the guards so there is no contact between the end of the clutch and brake levers (clutch especially) and the inside of the guard. If the inboard brackets are set too far inboard, the clutch lever will get stuck at full pull. I futzed around with the placement of the inboard clamps a couple times, moving them farther toward the bar end each time, to get the right bend so the levers clear. I added that extra stainless washer (between the bar end and the guard) to provide a bit of width, and that helped.

The supplied bar end bolts are longer than the OEM bolts, so I could reinstall the bar end weights. There is a stainless flanged piece that fits into a hole at the end of the guard and I added a stainless washer between the guard and the bar so there's metal to metal to metal contact. Seems very solid. I probably should have put some thread lock on those bar end bolts...memo to self, do that. [EDIT: I subsequently took off the bar end weights when I added the thread lock...see posts below.]

So does it clear the windshield? I have a Madstad bracket with the Madstad supplied shield. These KTM guards clear my windshield at full lock -- except when the shield is raised up all the way or canted back all the way back toward the rider. In these cases, the guards barely make contact and the shield has enough flex to absorb it. Drop the shield a touch from full up or full back and there's no contact at full lock. I doubt I'll ride with the shield in either of the extreme positions and they barely touch anyway, so I think it's a non-issue, with my shield anyway.

After I have a chance to take a decent test ride (c'mon spring!) I may adjust their attitude to the wind a bit...it's hard to tell if I have it right without a speed run. Without benefit of that speed run, I think these are great. Rugged, not too big, not too small, not too spendy, plain glossy black, no logo, no cutting, no extra hardware (except for two washers I had anyway), and the OEM bar ends still fit. Only casualty is the cable looms.

I am tempted to get a strip of amber LEDs and wire up some turn signal indicators. That would be pretty slick, I bet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bones KTM 1.JPG (218.1 KB, 9037 views)
File Type: jpg Bones KTM 2.jpg (347.3 KB, 2219 views)
File Type: jpg Bones KTM 3.jpg (106.1 KB, 1903 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868

Last edited by Bones; 02-27-2009 at 08:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 10:23 PM

Looks good. Those are contenders for me, although I would prefer to have a metal bar in the handguards. Is the junction of the end weight / handguard / handlebar tight or does it flex?

-Alan
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 11:48 PM

Bones, check how tight those bar end weights fit in that setup. Several members of the international forum lost a bar end weight when used in that configuration. It seems there is something about the recessed section in the bar end mating to the welded coned part of the bar end for a secure fit. I haven't looked at it in detail because I didn't install the bar end weights and I gave them away to another user that needed a set.

Gustavo

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

Gustavo, I figured that stainless washer would ensure metal to metal contact on both its faces since there is a metal collar that pops into the bar end terminus of the handguard. The bolt goes waaaay in and there's no flex that I can detect. But I looked at the UK site and see what you mean. I was going to take the bolts out for a drop of thread lock anyway, so perhaps I'll just leave off the bar end weights. No one appears to report any vibration without them...I assume you'd have found a way to use yours if that was an issue. Thanks for the heads up.

Alan, the guards are made for KTM bikes that would likely see more hazards than a Versys ever will. They are tougher than I was expecting, though they are not metal reinforced. When I was looking at the dozens of options out there I found two schools of thought about metal bars in handguards. One school likes the toughness of metal, the other doesn't like the possibility of a metal bar bending back onto their hands on impact or transferring the force of impact to the bars and steering head. One guy claimed he leaves his metal bars not quite tight so they move on impact...not sure what's up with that. What I concluded is that it's difficult to know whether any style handguard would be better in every given situation. I was looking mostly for wind/rain protection, which I think these will provide. Many brands I've seen in photos look bad to my eye, some downright fugly. These look like they belong, not like an afterthought. No logo to remove, too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 06:56 AM

I had to do a similar thing with the bar-end weights when I installed the v-strom handguards. I added washers and replaced the OEM bar-end bolt with longer bolts and some blue blue loctite. It's worked fine so far but I've only ridden 100 miles since.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I got a set of KTM handguards (here <$60 shipped UPS, arrived in a week from the west coast). I installed them today when I should have been working. Self-employment has its advantages. Fairly straightforward install, could probably do it in under half an hour now that I've done it once.

Some observations:

These guards are very substantial molded plastic, beefier than I would have guessed. The wind facing surface is smooth and glossy, and there is no KTM ID except for "KTM" and "Made in Austria" molded on the inside. Everything is marked L or R (sometimes in tiny letters) and needs to go on the appropriate side. I cleaned them with Plexis plastic polish after the install and they shine.

They installed using the supplied hardware plus two stainless steel washers I had in my collection. The OEM cable looms (the little plastic loops that hold cables in place and snap into a hole on the bars) need to be removed since they attach to the bars right where the guards' inboard brackets need to go. Figures. They won't likely be missed as the guards fit underneath and provide support for the cables. Nothing appears to bind when the bars move lock to lock. I loosened the brake line bolt on the back of the fluid reservoir to fit the right guard underneath, then moved it back and tightened it up.

I suggest you attach the inboard clamps first (use the supplied collars and play with them first so you know how they fit), then bolt on the ends. There is some flex in the plastic which you'll want to take advantage of; you want to mount the guards so there is no contact between the end of the clutch and brake levers (clutch especially) and the inside of the guard. If the inboard brackets are set too far inboard, the clutch lever will get stuck at full pull. I futzed around with the placement of the inboard clamps a couple times, moving them farther toward the bar end each time, to get the right bend so the levers clear. I added that extra stainless washer (between the bar end and the guard) to provide a bit of width, and that helped.

The supplied bar end bolts are longer than the OEM bolts, so I could reinstall the bar end weights. There is a stainless flanged piece that fits into a hole at the end of the guard and I added a stainless washer between the guard and the bar so there's metal to metal to metal contact. Seem very solid. I probably should have put some thread lock on those bar end bolts...memo to self, do that.

So does it clear the windshield? I have a Madstad bracket with the Madstad supplied shield. These KTM guards clear my windshield at full lock -- except when the shield is raised up all the way or canted back all the way back toward the rider. In these cases, the guards barely make contact and the shield has enough flex to absorb it. Drop the shield a touch from full up or full back and there's no contact at full lock. I doubt I'll ride with the shield in either of the extreme positions and they barely touch anyway, so I think it's a non-issue, with my shield anyway.

After I have a chance to take a decent test ride (c'mon spring!) I may adjust their attitude to the wind a bit...it's hard to tell if I have it right without a speed run. Without benefit of that speed run, I think these are great. Rugged, not too big, not too small, not too spendy, plain glossy black, no logo, no cutting, no extra hardware (except for two washers I had anyway), and the OEM bar ends still fit. Only casualty is the cable looms.

I am tempted to get a strip of amber LEDs and wire up some turn signal indicators. That would be pretty slick, I bet.
Looks good Bones, pray for good weather.....
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 07:13 AM

They look good, Bones, although with the wrap around guards it may look better to remove the bar end weights altogether. To see how I filled in the gap between the grip and the guard, go here:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...handguards+gap
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 07:16 AM

Bones, looks good. What brand are those mirrors you have on your V?
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by actar911 View Post
Bones, looks good. What brand are those mirrors you have on your V?
EMGO Mark II. I bought them a few years ago to see over camping gear which blocked the view to the back on my ST1300. I've since gotten some smaller camping gear so these were sitting around. They are just slightly convex and offer a good field of view without distortion. I'm looking forward to trying them out on the V.

UPDATE: I took off the bar end weights. It does look better without them and everything sets up solidly. Thanks for everyone's input...got a great bunch of folks on this site!

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by charly View Post
They look good, Bones, although with the wrap around guards it may look better to remove the bar end weights altogether. To see how I filled in the gap between the grip and the guard, go here:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...handguards+gap
I do have a gap there. That looks good, Charly, thanks.

EDIT: The grips must have been compressed a bit when I put them on because I was able to stretch them a bit and the gap you see in the next post is gone.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868

Last edited by Bones; 12-02-2009 at 07:22 PM.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Re-installed With Bar Ends Removed

Here are photos with the bar ends removed. I'll address that gap at some point, too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bones KTM 4.JPG (141.6 KB, 910 views)
File Type: jpg Bones KTM 5.JPG (170.1 KB, 1083 views)
File Type: jpg Bones KTM 6.JPG (119.4 KB, 1068 views)
File Type: jpg Bones KTM 7.JPG (138.5 KB, 1024 views)
File Type: jpg Bones KTM 8.JPG (166.6 KB, 941 views)

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 02:15 PM

Can someone who has the KTM guards on take a picture of the master cyclinder and its relation to the plastic guard?
I have these on and while the clutch side is fine (nicely angled) the break side can't come up enough because it is hitting the nut that hold the break line in the MC. I don't really want to cut the guards around the bolt and looking at these pictures it seems I am missing something.
Can anyone comment regarding getting around this particular issue?
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 01:22 PM

Installed KTM handguards today, as per Bones' instructions. Inboard end first, cables OVER the clamp part, etc...
I put in two metal washers, I suspect people with large hands who've got the levers on position 1 or 2 may need more.
I didn't re-install the bar end weights though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Versys + KTM Handguards 002.jpg (109.3 KB, 1113 views)
File Type: jpg Versys + KTM Handguards 004.jpg (74.4 KB, 996 views)
File Type: jpg Versys + KTM Handguards 006.jpg (118.2 KB, 853 views)
File Type: jpg Versys + KTM Handguards 012.jpg (83.8 KB, 908 views)
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 05:48 AM

fitted these yesterday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg versys handguards 007.jpg (206.4 KB, 821 views)
File Type: jpg versys handguards 002.jpg (175.6 KB, 1310 views)
File Type: jpg versys handguards 008.jpg (222.2 KB, 788 views)
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 08:16 AM

After a few days with the KTM handguards on, my hands are thankful. Not quite the same as heated grips, but still worth it.
Not missing the bar end weights at all. The bike feels lighter, steers easier in the garage and between cars. No high-speed wobbles yet. Bike feels narrower as well, and it probably is: those bar ends are a good 5cm.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 05:34 PM

Offtopic Q: dai5, what wind screen is that fitted on your bike?
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 08:21 AM

It says kawazaki "made by MRA" on it which seems a well known make on this side of the ocean , It was on the bike when i bought the thing maybe someone else can shed light on which type it is.

Last edited by dai5; 11-21-2009 at 08:25 AM.
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 03:17 PM

Thanks, Bones, for starting this thread and letting me know that the KTM handguards were an option. I also didn't like the other brands with big logos printed on them.

I bought the KTM guards online from www.ktm-parts.com for about $60 delivered, which is half the cost of Barkbusters (with the extra hardware they need). I installed them yesterday. Even with no instruction sheet I had no problem putting them on in less than half an hour.

The only hiccup I had was with the right guard, which bumped into the rigid brake line tube. I loosened the bolt on that which made it easy to rotate the tube out of the way, but I made the mistake of squeezing the brake lever while it was loose, which forced a few drops of brake fluid to leak out. After I got the guard in the right position I tightened that bolt back up, leaving the tube rotated upwards a little from where it had started so as not to interfere with the guard. Once tightened, the right brake lever was good again, with no fluid leakage. FYI--I cleaned the brake fluid off of the bike immediately as I heard a rumor once that brake fluid loves to eat through paint

I didn't put the factory bar-ends back on, which gives it a cleaner look. The handlebars do vibrate a bit more than stock, which makes the mirrors slightly more useless than they were already, but my hands don't seem to be bothered by it. The bars do feel narrower, which helps when splitting lanes between cars (in California). The gap between the grip end and the guard doesn't bother me (yet, anyway).

My main reason for installing these is for cold weather. I ride with the first two fingers of each hand resting on the brake/clutch levers which I figure will make heated grips a little less useful. I've only done one 40 mile trip with them so far, but having my hands out of the windblast was great. I may still do heated grips later.

Regarding the lack of metal in the guards: the plastic in these is very sturdy, and if you hit something so hard that metal would have helped, you've got much bigger problems to worry about!

KTM Handguard summary: easy to install, look awesome (like a factory option), great price
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razinell View Post
Thanks, Bones, for starting this thread and letting me know that the KTM handguards were an option. I also didn't like the other brands with big logos printed on them.

I bought the KTM guards online from www.ktm-parts.com for about $60 delivered, which is half the cost of Barkbusters (with the extra hardware they need). I installed them yesterday. Even with no instruction sheet I had no problem putting them on in less than half an hour.

The only hiccup I had was with the right guard, which bumped into the rigid brake line tube. I loosened the bolt on that which made it easy to rotate the tube out of the way, but I made the mistake of squeezing the brake lever while it was loose, which forced a few drops of brake fluid to leak out. After I got the guard in the right position I tightened that bolt back up, leaving the tube rotated upwards a little from where it had started so as not to interfere with the guard. Once tightened, the right brake lever was good again, with no fluid leakage. FYI--I cleaned the brake fluid off of the bike immediately as I heard a rumor once that brake fluid loves to eat through paint

I didn't put the factory bar-ends back on, which gives it a cleaner look. The handlebars do vibrate a bit more than stock, which makes the mirrors slightly more useless than they were already, but my hands don't seem to be bothered by it. The bars do feel narrower, which helps when splitting lanes between cars (in California). The gap between the grip end and the guard doesn't bother me (yet, anyway).

My main reason for installing these is for cold weather. I ride with the first two fingers of each hand resting on the brake/clutch levers which I figure will make heated grips a little less useful. I've only done one 40 mile trip with them so far, but having my hands out of the windblast was great. I may still do heated grips later.

KTM Handguard summary: easy to install, look awesome (like a factory option), great price
I second the ease of installation comments. Received KTM handguards for Christmas installed them following this thread's help. Had the same oops for the loosened brake nut while I accidentally checked the clearance of the brake lever to the handguard.

My test ride confirmed that the wind is off my hands and feel much warmer especially the finger tips.

• Black Firstgear Mesh-Tex 2.0 Pants + Y/B Fieldsheer Air Tour Mesh Jacket + N/S Deluxe All Season Cover X-Large + Evolution 4 Disc Lock

post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 10:37 PM

Looking for some KTM handguard parts

I purchased a pair of KTM handguards a while back and managed to loose the adapters for the 7/8" bars. Does anyone know where I might find another set?

Any help would be apreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode