Stebel Horn - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Stebel Horn

Anybody mount the Stebel Nautilus Compact Dual-Tone horn where the OEM horn is? Or tried? . See below.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2137/652/

I know there is additional wiring and a relay, but I am concerned about the mounting hardware. There seems to plenty of mounting bracket options listed on above link - various sizes of straights, L's, and clamps. But I have NFI which will work best on Versys and haven't found a fitting chart.

- Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 01:46 PM

horn

A couple of guys on the UK Versys forum have installed the horn...u could probably get some info from them...
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 06:22 AM

Stabel Horn

Hi from UK
Plenty of UK riders fitted the Stebel horn,generally considered to big/ugly to replace stock unit,so an alternative location found under left tank fairing,seems to fit a treat.see UK Versys forum for info.
I myself was stuffed as have a Scotoiler fitted under fairing so fitted two small stebel horns in fron of rad,replacing OEM as per your idea. Certainly loud,frightened a lady driver on a blind country lane last week,when I got round the corner she was half way in the hedge,must have thought a truck was coming round!Need to beef up wiring and fit a relay ,no problem though.
see pics at www.picasaweb.google.co.uk/stuartbull1

Cheers Twohoots

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 11:30 AM

Handguards and wind screen

I was doing some research on mounting a Steble horn and ran across your posting. I checked out your photos on the link you had attached and noticed your hand guards. Where did your purchase them? Also, I am in the market for a bigger wind screen and saw that you have the wind screen that Kawi sells. How do you like it? How tall are you and what setting do you have the wind screen on?
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 02:25 PM

Stebel Horn

Hi Hillyan
Handguards are KTM,fit straight on,however watch the bar ends (see this link
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...=1799#post1799)
purchsed online in UK cannot remember where.
vario windscreen is fine,nothing to compare it with really (first bike with a screen)works well,have it at high setting.

Are you going to fit the smaller Stebel horns as I did? work great, really loud ,though probably not as loud as the Nautilus.Dont forget you will have to "beef" up the wiring and fit a relay,then you can use the std horn button to operate it.

Good luck

Twohoots
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 09:40 PM

I put the stebel nautilus on right at the OEM location. I had to put a large fender washer behind the holder because it looked like the stock washer could slip through. It works fine for me. I've had it on about 1000 miles so far and it's as tight as when I installed it.

A diamond is just a hunk of coal
that didn't quit under pressure
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 08:16 AM

Web bike world or whatever that site is called claimed they had like 4 or 5 bad Stebel horns in a row. I'm thinking OE here (Operator Error; no relay, not installed correctly etc). Anybody else have any issues? Looks like a cool mod, if they last.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 12:35 PM

I put the WOLO Bad Boy (appears to be the same horn) on a couple of months ago. Rode in the rain several times. It is still working very well. I had the same one on my KLR for a year and it always worked.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 02:44 PM

Yeah, I'm a mechanic, and anytime I see somebody bitching about having multiple "bad" parts I immediately think OE.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 04:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to leshall Send a message via Skype™ to leshall
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBOB View Post
I put the WOLO Bad Boy (appears to be the same horn) on a couple of months ago. Rode in the rain several times. It is still working very well. I had the same one on my KLR for a year and it always worked.
I bought one of these from Harbor Freight using a 15% off coupon. You can normally find coupons at dealnews.com and other bargain shopping sites.

I have yet to mount it. Going on vacation saturday and when I get back will have a big farklethon.

Les, DFW
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvillyan View Post
I was doing some research on mounting a Steble horn and ran across your posting. I checked out your photos on the link you had attached and noticed your hand guards. Where did your purchase them? Also, I am in the market for a bigger wind screen and saw that you have the wind screen that Kawi sells. How do you like it? How tall are you and what setting do you have the wind screen on?
Service and wind screen great from this web page. Purchased another windscreen for a different bike and same terrific experience. http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Versysprod.html

Also, have BMW hand guards installed that work great with a few minor modifications.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 10:01 PM

Never had a problem with mine. I haven't had to use it but once and it shocked the cage driver into dropping her cell phone I do use it pretty often to beep (blast?) Hi to people and it has always worked.

A diamond is just a hunk of coal
that didn't quit under pressure
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 09:42 AM

I fitted my Stebel Compact Nautilus last night.

I was not overly excited about fitting it in the left cowling as others have done. It looked to me like I would need to fab up a decent bracket to keep the horn stable and off of the air sensor. Instead, I decided to split the horn into it's two components (compressor and black part).

I installed the compressor in the right side of the headlight bracket and the black part in the left side. I ran a bit of vacuum hose between the compressor outlet and black part inlet, using a vacuum hose fitting and RTV gasket compound to make the connection to the black part.

I disconnected the leads to the OEM horn and rerouted them to use to trigger the new relay for the Stebel. For a clean installation, I cut the electrical tape on the factory harness to free the two leads and then retaped both sets of wires. It pretty much looks factory for that part. I rerouted the horn wires forward through the various wire guides. The length was perfect to reach all the way to the right side of the headlight.

I rerouted the left city light wire just a bit to clean up what looked like goofy factory routing. This opened up a convent bolt hole that I used as a mount point for the horn relay. I modified a leftover L-bracket from a previous bike and secured the relay right next to the Stebel compressor.

The whole job took a few hours, but that's because I was trying to figure out mount points, modify brackets and so forth. When I do that kind of stuff I generally work at a snail's pace to avoid screwing something up. If I were doing it for a second time, the actual work involved would probably only take an hour, including all of the wire fitting, shrink tubing and so forth.

I took a few pics but I don't have them available for upload yet. I will add to the thread later tonight.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 09:49 AM

Ooooh nice idea CHris! I was going to install my Wolo tomorrow so- this is timely.

I was going to use the regular horn leads for the relay like wot u did.

The instructions say you have to use a relay for motorbike install.

Les
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 10:08 AM

Les, just to be clear, I did use a relay as instructed. I used the horn wires on posts 85 and 86 for the trigger. I wired the feed from the fuseblock to post 30, with post 87 out to the positive terminal on the Stebel. The only other wire is the ground off of the Stebel negative terminal.

The horn pulls a surprising amount of juice from what I'm told, so it will overwhelm the circuit if the factory leads are just plugged straight into the horn. I have heard of folks doing this, and I think it does work, but I think it's asking for trouble.

Not sure if that's what you meant, but just thought it might save you some headaches or worse .

Good luck with the install.

Chris in Oneonta, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 10:20 AM

Yes I was going thru a relay - got one of those little Panasonics from Eastern Beaver I want to try. I like your idea of separating the two elements - pump/horns
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leshall View Post
Yes I was going thru a relay - got one of those little Panasonics from Eastern Beaver I want to try. I like your idea of separating the two elements - pump/horns
Les, I'd love to claim the idea for separating the pieces 'cause it really is the way to go in my opinion. As these things often go, though, I stole that idea shamelessly from someone on another forum. I think it was one of my KLR forums where I first heard of the idea. I had a Stebel on my KLR and considered separating it then, but I figured out a good way to mount it without separating. I was a little hesitant to wrestle the pump apart, but it came apart quite easily once I saw how it was held.

Those relays from Eastern Beaver are really awesome. I ordered a few to replace some headlight relays on my KLR. The harness already had the correct plug, so like a dummy I did not order any plugs. Now I have a waterproof relay that I can use or at least can't use as it was intended.

Not to highjack the thread any further, but have you used any of the Posi-lock or Posi-tap products that he sells. They are really sweet.

Okay, back to the Stebel discussion. Sorry for the tangents.

Chris in Oneonta, NY

>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 12:40 PM

Here are some pictures of mine, I left the stock horn hooked up . I used the stock wiring to trigger the relay. Pictures show the location of the relay and how the horn is mounted.

I put a small piece of foam between the tank and the horn to keep from rattling. It makes plenty of noise even under the cowling. The bracket is easy to make.

Anybody else think these buffalo wings taste a lot like chicken?

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Restored 69 Honda Trail 90
Whizzer motorbike
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 02:54 PM

August, if I had seen those pictures yesterday I would never have even attempted my way. That's a good job and a heck of a lot simpler than my way.

Good pics for anyone poking around later on for their own install.

Chris in Oneonta, NY

>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 08:16 PM

I've had mine on in the regular horn area for about 30,000 miles. It has helped me many times. Just last week on the hwy as I was passing an 18 wheeler in the left lane, he started to come into my lane as he wanted to pass the car in front of him. As I moved to the left I also hit the big horn and he went back into his lane. LOUD helps, but some people don't care about how loud a horn is, they are coming no matter what.

Once the relay connection got loose and I had to push it back in.

August, consider what the warning is on that horn if you install it upside down like you did.

Per the manufacturer, this horn should be mounted so that the cylinder is vertical (with the horn facing down). There should be no more than a 15 degree variance from the vertical position. If it is not mounted per these specifications, then the horn may cease to function after a period of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode