Pannier frames - indicator wiring? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to demuire Send a message via Skype™ to demuire
Pannier frames - indicator wiring?

In anticipation for getting some new Hebco & Becker pannier frames, I went looking at the instructions, and tried to find photos of other V's with pannier frames (where the indicators/turn signals/winkers have been relocated). Then had a look at my bike. There isn't much/any slack in the wiring, how did you relocate your indicators? Did you lenghten the wiring? How did you run the wiring? The only "clear" photos I can find seem to run the wiring through the original holes and along the extension brackets.

The only way I can see around this without lengthening the wiring (don't know if it will work, am just guessing here), is to swap the left and right indicators? It looks like the right indicator wiring is heaps longer than the left, as it runs from the wiring harness on the right, to the left side of the bike where it drops out underneath, and the back to the right side...

~
FookStar

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Kawasaki Versys (in green!)
Queensland, Australia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 04:24 AM

Smile

G'Day Demuire,

Attached some photos to aid your decision.
I am not sure how was it done as was already on as bought it 2nd hand.

My observations:

1. The original indicator holes are not used.
2. The same indicator wire length is being used. No tampering of wires.
3. The indicator wires were simply put through the rear brake cowling.

Best Regards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0397.jpg (466.0 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0402.jpg (612.4 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0403.jpg (667.1 KB, 298 views)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to demuire Send a message via Skype™ to demuire
Thanks heaps, I did think about that, looking up at the underside of the bike I can see light coming through the gap under the rear tail light. However was unsure if it would cause damage to the wiring and/or the cowling in the long run... The only other photos I'd seen were with the Givi rack, and it looks like the H&B indicators are mounted a fair bit higher up so using the stock holes would probably look a bit tacky...

Also noticed you have a Scottoiler installed - any photos of that? I've still got mine lying around from my old SV650, have been mocking up the install but haven't finalised it yet. I don't have a lube tube so decided against under the front left cowl (very difficult to refill), thought about where you've put yours but I think I'm going to put mine under the seat just above where yours is. Am unsure what the best way to run the tubing would be, from the rear subframe to the swing arm - giving enough slack to allow suspension movement but keeping the tube away from the chain, and making sure it doesn't get caught between the swing arm and the foot peg...

~
FookStar

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Kawasaki Versys (in green!)
Queensland, Australia

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 12:19 PM

I just hooked up my rack and monokey system on my new(GREEN) versys and was dismayed at the wiring length. THe left indicator had just enough length but I couldn't route it thru the wiring clips. The right one had to be re-routed thru a hole on the right side of the seat undercarriage.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 06:07 PM

Demuire,

For your scottoiler question, will post a new thread.
It will make it easier for the Guys to refer if need be.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 10:27 AM

I added wire to each indicator to make them longer. In fact, my rack kit may have come with the wire (I installed SW-Motech Givi racks). I drilled a small hole behind the license plate bracket and brought the wires through there.

-Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode