DIY GPS mount - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
DIY GPS mount

Well, this one is a little different. I wanted to mount both a GPS and a radar detector together and have it fairly free of vibration while not being so shaky that you can't read the GPS while under way.

So I ended up with a piece of 1/4" lexan because the thinner stuff seemed to flex too much. It's easy to work with and it won't interfere with the performance of the radar detector. I used a large piece of Velcroe on the base for the detector.

I also used a piece of aluminum strapping attached to the windshield bracket with rubber washers to control the damping. It all seems to be working pretty well for a total cost of around $10. Maybe this idea would work for others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1210.JPG (339.7 KB, 374 views)
File Type: jpg P1010018.JPG (656.4 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg P1010025.JPG (638.9 KB, 538 views)

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Very nice!! Have you ridden far with it like that yet? I'm curious if the radar detector bounces while you're riding...

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Bear. Just some short rides so far. I first tried lexan that was about 1/8" thick and it was pretty bouncy with the weight of the detector. 1/4" seems to be just fine.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 01:05 AM

I've been wanting to do something similar to this, but have never worked with lexan before.
Would you mind educating me? Briefly....How do you go about shaping it ... heating: how/what temp.... bending: tools/forms.... etc?

From what I've goolgled... I'm gathering that I should pop it in a toaster oven at around 350F, then once it's hot and soft... run over to the glass coffee table and form on the edge. would this work, or is there a better way to do it?

Another question? Is it available at Lowes/Home Depot/ Ace Hardware, or do I need to find a plastics supplier in town?

Sorry, so many questions, I know, but I'm pretty clueless here.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 07:05 AM

Looks pretty slick, Jeff. Maybe some black paint to blend with the bracket? Thanks for sharing your idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 08:22 AM

Impressive! I'd like to do something similar as I'm not too excited about mounting a GPS/detector to my handlebars. Do let us know how you bent the plastic to your liking.

_____
Little Rock, AR (previously Raleigh, NC; Morehead City, NC; and Virginia Beach, VA)

2008 Kawasaki Versys
Bought in May 2008 and have 58,000 miles on it as of July 2014
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 08:59 AM

i remember this from school also if you want a nice bend you will need to make or borrow a setup it works with a steel wire were you put a electrcal curent threw till it glows redhot you lay the lexan/plexiglas over it so it will only heat one line when its hot enough you can bend it leaving the rest nice and flat you dont get that finish with a heatgun if it is to cold the sides may crack just like when you bend alluminium good luck
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Greg,
Looks like arjan has a real good idea about bending with the hot wire. I'm sure it would look a lot cleaner than what I did. I just used a butane pencil torch to heat along a line without any preheating. Then folded it over. The problem there is it makes some bubbles in the lexan.

Which brings me to Bones' point about the black paint. I ended up sanding off the bubbled surface at the bends and applying black paint to the surface, except in front of the detector. Don't know if a little paint would really have affected the reception or not, but I left it clear in that area.

I wasn't able to find 1/4" lexan at Menards so I just went to a glass shop. They made a piece for me that was very square with well cut edges for $7. Seemed like a good deal. Thanks for the input guys. I'm very happy with the end result because it's inexpensive and doesn't clutter the handlebars with gaudy mounts. AND I get the satisfaction of making it myself.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 12:02 PM

What's your plan for when it rains? Do you just take the electronics down?

_____
Little Rock, AR (previously Raleigh, NC; Morehead City, NC; and Virginia Beach, VA)

2008 Kawasaki Versys
Bought in May 2008 and have 58,000 miles on it as of July 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode