sadde bag suggestion? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
sadde bag suggestion?

I've pretty much decided to get a pair of saddle bags and would appreciate suggestions. I like the look of the Ortlieb Dry Bag (like the bright color), Nelson-Rigg SB-900 (only $100!), and Wolfman Summit (lots of capacity - 45 liter). The Tour Master Nylon Cruiser II on newenough.com also looks good and not expensive.

My main concern is whether any of these bags will interfere with or make contact with the rear wheel. Any advice appreciated.

Last edited by mutt; 02-14-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 11:38 AM

I did have a almost new set of theNelson-Rigg sportbags leftover from my Ninja 650R and last week i put them on the Versys. Won't be any contact with the rear wheel at all. Just not sure myself if i like the soft bags or not. Snow here in Iowa so haven't had a chance to ride with them. I am leaning towards hard bags like the small Givi 21 maybe. I don't travel that far anymore so should be plenty big enough. The Nelson's are not that big but then the bigger you get the more chance of wheel contact for a soft bag. My 2 cents

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 12:22 PM

The Ortlieb Dry-Bags are very good, I easily have 50K miles on mine and they are still like new (plus a few dead bugs that have become part of the bag now... ). They may not be the largest around, but they are 100% waterproof and they mount very securely to the bike.

Regardless of which set of bags you decide to use, keep in mind that over time they will scratch all surfaces they come in contact with due to the movement as the bike goes down the road. If, like me, you don't care about minor scratches, it's nothing to really worry about, but if you are worried about the look of your bike, you may want to put some vinyl contact film on the painted surfaces to give them some protection.

Gustavo

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 12:44 PM

Good point about the rubbing on the painted surface. They do all scratch it some. I am like you in that i just ride the darn thing and not a big fan of washing it every day and polishing. Some ride and some spend all their time cleaning. Like my Harley neighbor. Bet i ride more in a year than he has on his bike in 5 years but his is sure clean. Each to their own. The Nelson bags are not waterproof and have a rain cover included but i am not sure they would stay on at highway speeds. Ortlieb might be a better way to go.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies and good ideas.

The Rapid Transit Recon 45 bag advertised on newenough says it's possible to "adjust the height at which the saddlebags will rest to compensate for your exhaust or rear foot pegs",

I wonder if that is also true with most other saddlebags.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 10:55 AM

I had Ortlieb on my KLR, but couldn't find a way to get them on the V without them turning in towards the rear wheel. In the end I went with a set from Dowco. Price was right and they don't fold under.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Saddlebag.aspx

With my topbox and tail bag I can get enough for weeks of one up camping.

Or two up motelling etc, obviously without the tail bag.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machog View Post
I had Ortlieb on my KLR, but couldn't find a way to get them on the V without them turning in towards the rear wheel.
Did the Ortliebs actually hit the rear wheel? Reason I ask, the advertised height of the Ortliebs is 10 inchs. On my bike the distance from the top of of the rear wheel to the top of the seat is about 15 inches.

Nice pic and setup by the way!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 11:33 AM

I had loop bracket on the KLR and that worked very well.

Think there must be lots of different sizes of Ortlieb, but there was a/ no way to clip them on to the Versys near the top of the passenger saddle. b/they would fold under and foul the wheel without some form of bracket.

Until someone comes up with a bracket I don't think there is anyway to support Ortliebs on the V. That's why I went with Dowco-not quite as big, but they have enough rigidity to keep them parallel to wheel and not fold in.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machog View Post
Think there must be lots of different sizes of Ortlieb, but there was a/ no way to clip them on to the Versys near the top of the passenger saddle. b/they would fold under and foul the wheel without some form of bracket.

Until someone comes up with a bracket I don't think there is anyway to support Ortliebs on the V.
Ahhh, you had the clip type DryBags. Sure, you need a bracket for those. But there is a type that simply uses two straps from each bag that go across the seat and attach with Velcro to the corresponding straps from the other bag, allowing you to adjust the height the bags sit on the sides of the bike.

Gustavo
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 02:21 PM

My route was to get the Cortech Sport Tail/Saddle Bags and the Super Mini Tank Bag. They went on as if they were custom made for this bike, no probs. with rubbing anywhere, and they expand in width a great deal. About $170, in blue, red, or black. They come off or on in a jiffy.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 03:45 PM

Your are correct Gustavo, mine had the clips, never even seen the over the saddle option. Assume you have a pair of these-do they work on the V?

My Dowco are great-plus the straps will fit under the saddle making them a bit theft proof. Like you, I always like to go as light as possible with luggage.

If I was going off to Tera Del Fuego, I might go the metal box route-otherwise my Dowco's with a Givi on top work just great.

Machog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode