Just about modded out on my new 09. I could have rode today as it turns out, but the threat of rain was enough to keep me home tinkering. I had enough to do anyway. Now that I'm done for the day it's finally raining.
I've added the Hepco & Becker crash bars. Because the California Evap canister cover is in the way, I'd taken it off. I still may take out the whole evap system eventually, but need someone smart to show me how. In the interim, I thought I'd leave the cover off, but it turns out it's even uglier that way. I used a dremel tool to cut the cover so it would fit around the bars. I took off just the bottom part, but that wasn't enough, So I trimmed a little more. Used a metal file to smooth out the cut plastic. I was careful not to cut into the lower retaining nipple that holds the cover in place. It was pretty easy and came out nice.
I've added the low seat in addition to the MadStad brackets and Givi windshield. I used the MadStad stabilizer as a platform for my GPS, using a ram mount and long ram arm. I haven't wired the GPS to anything yet, but I've routed the wire to the space under the seat. I've added green racing tape to the wheels. I've also fitted the Givi top box rack. I was going to put in a powerlet outlet primarily for battery charging, but decided I would use the fused connector that comes with the Battery Tender charger instead. Once connected to the battery, it tucks up in a nice empty space under the seat.
While I had the side fairings off I used the opportunity to add a bunch of weatherstripping foam to some places around the headlight, in the hopes of eliminating the buzzing that I noted on last weekend's ride!
The last thing is to paint the Givi top box. I have a V46 box that I've had for a few years and used on different bikes. It was dark blue, and it looked ok, but I really wanted it green for the VS. I got some spray paint from Color Rite, and popped the colored cover piece off of the box (a little tricky). Sanded it down just enough to remove the clear coat.
And then started with the base coat.
This is after several coats. Then comes the top coat, which lightens it a little bit. I think it will still come out a bit darker than the bike (because it started out so dark), but the color is pretty close. Not as nice a paint job as the pros, but good enough. A few more top coats and the clear coat will have to wait for dryer and warmer weather.
I'll post up pics when it's done.