Green VS Mods - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Green VS Mods

Just about modded out on my new 09. I could have rode today as it turns out, but the threat of rain was enough to keep me home tinkering. I had enough to do anyway. Now that I'm done for the day it's finally raining.

I've added the Hepco & Becker crash bars. Because the California Evap canister cover is in the way, I'd taken it off. I still may take out the whole evap system eventually, but need someone smart to show me how. In the interim, I thought I'd leave the cover off, but it turns out it's even uglier that way. I used a dremel tool to cut the cover so it would fit around the bars. I took off just the bottom part, but that wasn't enough, So I trimmed a little more. Used a metal file to smooth out the cut plastic. I was careful not to cut into the lower retaining nipple that holds the cover in place. It was pretty easy and came out nice.

I've added the low seat in addition to the MadStad brackets and Givi windshield. I used the MadStad stabilizer as a platform for my GPS, using a ram mount and long ram arm. I haven't wired the GPS to anything yet, but I've routed the wire to the space under the seat. I've added green racing tape to the wheels. I've also fitted the Givi top box rack. I was going to put in a powerlet outlet primarily for battery charging, but decided I would use the fused connector that comes with the Battery Tender charger instead. Once connected to the battery, it tucks up in a nice empty space under the seat.

While I had the side fairings off I used the opportunity to add a bunch of weatherstripping foam to some places around the headlight, in the hopes of eliminating the buzzing that I noted on last weekend's ride!

The last thing is to paint the Givi top box. I have a V46 box that I've had for a few years and used on different bikes. It was dark blue, and it looked ok, but I really wanted it green for the VS. I got some spray paint from Color Rite, and popped the colored cover piece off of the box (a little tricky). Sanded it down just enough to remove the clear coat.

And then started with the base coat.

This is after several coats. Then comes the top coat, which lightens it a little bit. I think it will still come out a bit darker than the bike (because it started out so dark), but the color is pretty close. Not as nice a paint job as the pros, but good enough. A few more top coats and the clear coat will have to wait for dryer and warmer weather.

I'll post up pics when it's done.
dm

DM
2009 Kawasaki Versys, "Dr Doom"
2009 Suzuki Burgman 650, "StormTrooper"
2003 Suzuki Burgman 400, "Yoda"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Looks great! Way to mod!!

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 09:22 PM

Thumbs up

Nice job...Had to do the same canister mod to my 09...Did the foam and put a few dabs of silicone sealant around the screw attachments...No more buzzy sounds...Like the garage, especially the boards...

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Finished GIVI top case

It's not quite a match. The paint was expensive, too. It looks muddier than the stock paint, although while it was going on it seemed like it was bright enough. But it's good enough for what it is. But I think the problem was that I was painting over a dark blue base, so it started off darker. I think if I were to do it again I would have added a light gray primer to start off.

If you get this paint from Color Rite, note that the BASE paint is not a primer, but is actually the green color. The color they call "Candy Lime Green" is actually almost clear, I think the speckles and sparkles are in that color. It does lighten the base color quite a bit, but after 3 or 4 coats I could tell it wasn't going to get it any lighter.

I used the spray cans and they went on ok, but the very first spray out of the green base had some globs in it (shoulda done a clean spray first, but it turned out ok). If you get the touch-up paint you will need both the base and the top coat.

time to ride!
dm

DM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 06:44 PM

Excellent job on the topbox and the bars.

If you do a search, someone has posted on how to hook up the tubes when you take off the canister. One way is to hook up two of the tubes-sorry don't know which two. The better way is to get a three way hook up and join all three together (like the spoke of the Mercedes logo-is the only way I can describe it. If its not on this forum, try here on the Euro-worldwide Versys site. www.versys.co.uk

Machog

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Looks real good!

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 09:55 PM

Geez, nice job. The bike looks great.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 09:03 PM

Do ONE side at a time and you'll be fine! Don't undo all nuts and bolts on bothsides, you might be in trouble!!

Machog

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 08:39 AM

I'm contemplating crash bars. The H&B's mount a lot higher than the SWMotech's. I suppose you could argue that in a get-off you'd rather have your radiator survive so you can ride. Looks like the H&B's win in that regard. If the bike goes on its side with the H&B's, what kind of protection is there for the engine cases? I'm thinking the Givi V35's will be the first casualties in any event.

Comments from the V-nut gallery?

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Comments from the V-nut gallery?
No comments on the bars, I just like the "V-nut gallery" phrase!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Me too!!

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 10:50 AM

Awesome! May I have the color code of that Green? I want it too for my V35 panniers... thanks~

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Lokto - I bought the paint from Color-Rite. You enter the make and model of bike, and they find the color for you. You need both the base and the color coat, and clear coat too.

Bones: side cases usually take a hit in a tip-over. They're expendable - or better the cases than the engine, tank & radiator. I think the bars are really just designed to protect the radiator, cowling and tank from damage, as well as the engine partially although certainly the side bits would get hit first. Somewhere on the board is a picture of the HB bars after a slide - that's what sold me on them.

DM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode