H&B Luggage on a Versys? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to demuire Send a message via Skype™ to demuire
H&B Luggage on a Versys?

I'm looking at hard luggage for my Versys at the moment, and on the top of my list at the moment are H&B top rack and pannier rack, with a Journey TC50 top case, and Junior 40L side cases.

Has anyone used these, if so any opinions? Any photos? I'm a little concerned that the 40L Junior cases would stick out a lot and make filtering very difficult, but H&B don't seem to make slimline panniers (like the Givi E21's). I think the 30L Junior cases are slightly slimmer, but are almost the same price as the 40L...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 10:31 PM

I had the 30 and 40 H/P. Yes, the 30s are slimmer but since I do road trips for work almost weekly, I needed the space so I got the 40s. Much better for my needs.

I like the way the top of the bags are about even with the top of the rear seat. You can cary some big boxes or sacks because with it all even, it is all supported. To me the 40s look fine and come across about 38 inches total from side to side. If you plan to go between traffic with them, I'd fine smaller bags.

On another bike I had the H/P 50 rear hard case. It is good but I don't use it and should sell it. I just don't like the looks of a rear bag.

The H/P bags are very tough. They are not cheap but you can see why when you get them.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for that Maybe you can sell me your 50L hard case Any photos?

Strangely enough here in Australia the H&B bags are the cheapest "good" bags you can buy - or at least from the prices I've gotten it appears so. Equivalent sized Givi are a lot more expensive, although their racks are cheaper. The E21's seem to be the only cheap Givi's...

From the H&B website it looks like the Junior 30's are 8cm narrower than the Junior 40's, so 16cm total (just over 6 inches). Does anyone know how wide the Versys handlebars are?

I don't like the look of the top case either, and don't like how it puts the weight so high and back. However for purposes of lane filtering etc it seems to work out best. Ideally I'd like to use the panniers without the top case most of the time, however I'd also like to be able to leave my helmet with the bike instead of carrying it around everywhere with me... and if I wanted to do that I'd need to get the Junior 40's. Which would make my bike very wide...

Decisions decisions...

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Looks like the Versys handlebars are about 33.5 inches wide, which, based on your measurements, means that the Junior 30's are marginally narrower (about 32 inches) and the Junior 40's are a little wider (at 38 inches).

Have now seen stlee's Junior 30's, and the Junior 40's on webbikeworld. The 40's are tempting, but am a little concerned about lane filtering with them...
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 07:13 AM

The downside about the 30's is we can't put in a helmet in there.
Not sure about the 40's. However for lane filtering', my thinking is the 30's would be a safer bet.
My last bike was a BMW r1100gs and I know what you mean when in traffic with your panniers. When it scratchs the paint, the hearts sinks.....
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 11:46 AM

This forum is strange, I see in my emails that responses, but the forum does not show them.

Anyway, the handlebar is 33" wide and the 40 liter bags are 38" wide. Maybe the pics will come through.

The 30 Jr does not fit a full helmet but the 40 does. The 50 liter rear bag takes two full size helmets.

I'll see if this post goes through.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00479.jpg (299.9 KB, 543 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00480.jpg (294.3 KB, 447 views)
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

atgatt: Thanks heaps - wow those bags are huge...
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

atgatt: Just looking at your photos more closely, why have you strapped the tops of the boxes to the grab rail? Is there a problem with flexing when you've got the boxes loaded? Also, how did you attach all those tie down attachments to the boxes? Looks like you must really pack a lot of stuff on your bike! Do you also have tank panniers?
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 07:45 PM

You can buy those tie down attachments at many motorcycle stores. They come in packs of 4. I found the more places I have them, the easier it is to strap various things down that are different sizes.

The reason for the Velcro around the rails is not due to flex. They just act as a just-in-case. Like just in case I forgot to latch the bags, or just in case with the heavy loads I often put in those bags, like a lot of tools used for work, that they have extra support. You're only supposed to load no more than 25 lbs or so per bag and I go over that amount.

I travel a lot on my bike for extended trips and have to carry a lot. It's rough, but it still beats driving. Yes, my bike looks ugly but it's a "working class" bike.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demuire View Post
Do you also have tank panniers?
No, but I've thought of them. My issue is since my bike is in hotel parking lots so much, I have to be able to lock everything. Soft bags don't work.

As it is, I can do all my gear in back. When I have my 36" duffel bag on my back seat (that is mostly hard rather than soft so I could lock it), I look like a pickup truck that's a pickup bike.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 07:56 AM

demuire, go to the Headlight Protector thread in this same category above and you'll see 30 liter H/P bags on the V.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

atgatt: Thanks, have seen it The 30's look so small
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 03:30 AM Thread Starter

Here some photos:

A few more photos here:
http://fookseung.fotki.com/automotiv.../hard-luggage/

~
FookStar

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Kawasaki Versys (in green!)
Queensland, Australia
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 03:33 AM Thread Starter

These bags are very deceptive. From most angles they actually don't look very big at all. Even with the top case, the whole set up looks like it belongs on the bike, doesn't really look bulky or out of place in any way...

But from some angles (straight from the back for the panniers, straight from the side for the top case) it looks HUGE.

I want to get little red reflective stickers to go in those square cut outs on the panniers...

Also, is the top case supposed to have straps inside?

~
FookStar

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Queensland, Australia
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 04:02 AM

HI Demuire,

Your bike looks good to go anywhere now.
Understand your concern about lane filtering. Just got to know a fellow V biker who took off his givis and installed a bigger topcase to beat the traffic in KL( Kuala Lumpur).

Quoting Dirty Harry "A man gotta know his Limitations".
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

stlee29: thanks, my bank manager refuses to talk to me now I want to get a new screen, the current one throws bugs straight in my face, by the time I got home today (about 300k's) I couldn't see anything out my visor...

Want to buy the Vario screen (seems to get the best reviews all round), but it's like AUD280 (OUCH - that's almost the same price as my top case!!!).

~
FookStar

Queensland, Australia
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 06:55 AM

G'Day Demuire,

You right. The Vario seems to be best choice. The AUD280 is also about the same price in Malaysia. (RM 700). Ouch again...

Have bought a Puig as recommended by some of the V guys locally.
Malaysia also have a V owners forum but the language and lingo are all local.
http://www.versysmalaysia.proboards.com
Intended the Givi D405ST but had already waited 3 months. Can't wait longer.

IMHO, Tell your bank manager you are helping the economy. If nobody spends, we are all in for a rough ride.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

lol re economy

I thought about the Puig - my SV650 had one and it was pretty good. Cheap too! But someone else here didn't like his. I do realise that screens are really a personal taste thing, and really depends on the rider (height etc), however I really don't want to spend the money, only to find I don't like it. Maybe if I can find another Versys owner in Brisbane I can borrow their screen and see what it's like...

I like the adjustability of the Vario screen. Weather here is very hot in summer (need airflow!), and cold in winter (don't want airflow), so yeah... I think the Vario wins hands down. Very expensive tho.

~
FookStar

Queensland, Australia
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 07:40 AM

You are right about the personal taste part.
For this reason, IMHO, Speedy and Madstad got it right for making parts that can be adjusted to suit our preferences. Thank you, Guys

Will test the Puig and see how it goes. A man poison might be another's antidote.
Only time will tell

Last edited by stlee29; 02-28-2009 at 07:45 AM.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

Oh, one thing I just discovered about the H&B bags which is a major downer for me is: You can't take the seat off with the pannier on!!! The gap is too small, so you have to take the pannier off to get the key into the keyhole - DOH!

~
FookStar

Queensland, Australia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode