Question on Motowerk Lowering kit - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question on Motowerk Lowering kit

Are there any modafications that need to be made to the front of the bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 09:59 AM
psc

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecreeper77 View Post
Are there any modafications that need to be made to the front of the bike?
No modification as in drilling/cutting, etc. Just loosen the pinch bolts (not all at onec) and move the fork legs up (or the lower triple tree clamp down) to the end of the smooth surface on the legs.

For a better explanation, go to Speedy's site and read the installation instructions (the last part). Loosening, sliding the fork legs and re-tightening both sides took 8 minutes, including consuming 1/2 pint of Guinness...

Peter
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 03:14 PM

Not a big deal with dropping the front in the clamps. Great kit and i sure like the way i can now touch. Was tiptoe at 29" inseam and now almost flat footed. Just wish i had ordered the mirror extenders at the same time. I will now and pay for shipping again. Even the dealer who installed the kit commented how well it was made. Bike looks like it came that way. Speedys product is well worth it and well made.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 03:35 PM

I just lowered mine this past weekend. The whole operation took about an hour...including finding a good way to lift the bike without a bike stand (two jack stands under the footpegs - lifted it with a car jack while holding the handlebars steady). Easy. I love it. My feet are flat on the ground now.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 05:23 PM

Isn't it nice to be able to ride this bike flatfooted? You would think Kawasaki would sell it with a lower option like BMW does and some Suzuki's do. Dealer told me it was one of the big turnoffs for quite a few riders looking at it. Same goes for the magazine write ups. Almost all say it is tall for us shorter. (Normal) riders. That out to get a resposnse. I know half our BMW club was 30" inseam and couldn't ride most BMW's without lowering them somehow. Now even the new 650 BMW has a lower seat. Hard to make a bike for all of us different sizes but could offer a kit and another one with lower pegs for the taller riders. At least we have Speedy makeing aftermarket. enjoy

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Why the need to flat foot? I guess that's more a street rider thing?

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 05:46 PM

Yeah, it's a lot more comfortable when riding (or rather stopping and sitting at lights) around traffic. Also for backing in and out of parking spaces, etc. Enough to worry about on the streets without being unsure of your footing.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowball View Post
Yeah, it's a lot more comfortable when riding (or rather stopping and sitting at lights) around traffic. Also for backing in and out of parking spaces, etc. Enough to worry about on the streets without being unsure of your footing.
I dropped my bike once because i was backing out of a space and there was a bit of broken glass on the ground and my foot began to slip. thankfully i have the sw-motech crash bars and all that happen was a little scratch to the bars and a little scratch on the end of the handle bar. I think if the bike had been a little lower then i might have been able to save it from the fall.

Im a tall guy but sometimes when stopping at a light abruptly for example i donít like the feeling that the bikes going to tip over on me.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 07:15 PM

Send a message via MSN to demuire Send a message via Skype™ to demuire
Not to mention for featherweights like myself where the bike weighs significantly more than me. Trying to hold up a tipping over bike is no easy feat! Also, a few times I've pulled over on a sloping road shoulder, put the bike on the side stand (leaning over quite a few degrees more than if it was on a level surface) and had issues trying to get it back upright and off the side stand...

Quite doable to ride a bike that's rather tall, but much more confidence inspiring and less stressful if you don't need to worry about it.

~
FookStar

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Kawasaki Versys (in green!)
Queensland, Australia
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 07:55 PM

Rode most of my BMW's tiptoe and the KLR. But the KLR was light. When you travel and stop and have a dip in the gravel parking lot it is not ideal on your tiptoes. At 61 and having health issues to boot it is going to be flatfoot or near for me or not at all. Why do you think so many short inseam and ladys ride cruisers. Not always what they want but can touch. Was an article this month in RIder about that issue. If you ride much you will encounter a dip or backing or some situation that would be so much safer for you and the bike if you can nearly touch all the way. Only time i ever dropped a bike was a K 1100 LT and pulled into a gravel lot and started to back up and hit a slight dip and slowly it went down. Shortly after i sold it for a GS 1150 and lowered it and cut the seat down and never had another problem that way. Most short inseam guys understand

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 11:31 AM

Lowering Kit Website

Hey,

I just joined this site, had my versys for almost a year. What is the website for Speedy? I'm pretty much on my tiptoes even after getting the aftermarket seat that is lowered. Thanks in advance for the info.

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 11:39 AM

Hi Chades, it's www.motowerk.com
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 11:47 AM

Lowering Kit

Thanks so much for the info, I ordered the lowering kit and got it put on my versys last week. Picked it up Saturday and it's soo much better. Only took the shop about an hour to do! Thanks again!

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 12:13 PM

Did you guys do anything with the kickstand?
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 05:57 PM

Yes you cut off a section according to Speedys instructions. I had the dealer cut mine as he installed the kit. Tells how much to cut off and i put on his flatfoot plate on the bottom. Slips right on the kickstand. When you order the kit order the flatfoot made for the shortened stand. Go to his site and you will see and understand it all. Is Motowerk.com i think. You will find it on the search thread. Works great. Won't sink into the dirt with the flatfoot. Nice guy to deal with. I rode 200 miles today and love it. Have a 29" inseam and can touch fine.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 09:42 PM

Speedy Lowering Kit

I intended to have my mechanic install the kit Tuesday, but when a bit of rain blew our way, I thought, "I built an airplane, I think I can handle this." It went very quickly, without incident. To jack the bike up, I think I came up with a simple method. I had one car jack, but not two. So I put a box under the non-kickstand side and then simply jacked up the kick-stand side (left). That raised the rear wheel well off the ground, allowing me to make the modification. I did overshoot dropping the front end, which is quite easy to do. My recommendation to avoid this is keep a slight amount of bolt tension on one of the lower fork bolts and then using a rubber mallet, tap the fork brace down. After I dropped it too far, it required hoisting the front end up in the garage to reposition it.

I finished it this morning and went on a 60 mile ride with my wife. What a difference, being able to support the bike when stopped. I have a 30" inseam and now the bike feels like it was custom built. I'd also highly recommend the mirror extenders and front peg extensions from Speedy. No further mods intended, other than a windshield.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 09:57 PM

Speedy does make a great kit. I know i sure am happy to also touch better. Have 500 miles on mine and was great fun in the twisty roads here. Dropping the front and rear sure didn't hurt anything in the handling part for me anyway. I didn't use any peg extensions as i don't mind my short lets bent some. Glad you enjoy the lower bike now. If Kawasaki would offer a lower version i think they would sure sell more. I sat on this bike a year ago and passed on it as it was too tall and told the dealer that. If he would have said or even known it could be lowered i would have bought it then. Have fun.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 10:30 PM

Hi Deano. I'll mention the kit to the dealer. It certainly won't hurt their sales. Any thoughts on a small saddlebag for the bike? I just need a place to put small stuff while commuting around. I'm also curious since you say that you have 500 miles on your bike. Did you keep the the ridiculous recommended break-in procedure, or did you venture out a bit? I have 300 miles on mine and have been keeping it under 7K, but not 4K by any stretch of the imagination.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 04:03 PM

Anyone got a photo of the side stand modified? How big is that flat foot?

Me tip toeing the versys has never been a problem, but lately I have had a lot of two up rides, and find it difficult to steady the bike when the pillion mounts.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 09:07 PM

I wanted the small bags too and after seeing some here on site i went with the Givi E 21 small bags that are top loaders. Works really good for me as i ride solo and don't camp anymore. Pop right off with a button if you want them off. I do have a set of Neilson Riggs Sportbike bags and tried them on but not very deep as the 21's so took them off and put them on the Secca 11. I mentioned it to the dealer too about the lower kit and he knows if someone is intersted they can talk to me. Sad thing is he has had a couple calls about the Versys he said but has none ordered for 09. Idiot. Dealers need to push it a little more with exposure. He said he thought they were catching on more now. Figure. I have the flatfoot and i mount by putting my left foot on the peg with the bike on the sidestand and swining my right leg over then. Flatfoot holds it fine. I am older so not as limber as some of you. Mind is young, or maybe just senile and i don't know it. My world and i am having fun.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode