License Plate and Light Relocation - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Dom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
License Plate and Light Relocation

I picked up my new Versys two weeks ago, I love everything about this bike with the exception of the review mirror placement and the long rear fender. Well, I took care of the taillight “problem” yesterday. Shortly after picking up the bike I signed up for the forum and I noticed that several others had the same thought that I had about the License Plate light mounting on the bike. While there were some great thoughts and ideas posted, a friend and I had a different thought. First we removed the license plate mount and the light, then using a dremel I cut off the “stingray looking thing” that was hanging below the turn signals. Using a file and sandpaper, I smoothed the rough edges.

Using cardboard we cut out a template that would fit into the diamond shaped recess below the taillight. We transferred the pattern to the appropriate gauge aluminum sheet, drilled the mounting holes and access holes and cut out the new bracket with a jigsaw. We smoothed out the edges, used a part of the original license plate bracket as a backer plate and mounted the bracket in the recess. From there it was a simple remounting of the licesnse plate light to the new bracket. We used the stock harness and connectors. We painted it with black textured paint that matches the bodywork perfectly. The next day after we sobered up, we did it again and made it pretty. Dom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nakedtrail.jpg (80.1 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg bracket.jpg (56.8 KB, 435 views)
File Type: jpg siedview.jpg (28.0 KB, 418 views)
File Type: jpg rearview.jpg (34.3 KB, 447 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 05:30 PM

nice idea on that tail...the stock lic plate light is kinda big...but easily replaceable with a motrax led light..$9 at cycle gear...check the gallery for a pic on mine or look at the cyclegear site.
I like your bracket...nice work.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Dom

Thanks tomla.... I'll check it out. A couple of beers, zero dollars and in my humble opinion - a big improvement.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 11:35 PM

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ther+tail+chop

Good work, looks way better with the tail chopped. I went with a LED lic plate frame.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Dom

I really liked yours pmac- almost did that same exact thing I liked it so much! Looking into changing out the light as well, once I do I'll post another pic. Right now, it's onto building a hugger for the rear...

Last edited by Dom; 02-15-2009 at 04:47 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 01:20 PM

Yea if you change the light post a picture. Always good to see what people are doing.

Again good job. Like that green on the V.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode