LED signals on Acerbis Dual Road Handguards - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
LED signals on Acerbis Dual Road Handguards

Sorry if this has been discussed, but I couldn't find the topic with a search.

Anyway, has anyone with these Acerbis Dual Road Handguards also purchased the slick LED strip and installed them to work as turn signals? If so, I'm wondering where you run the wires, as these guards only appear to connect with the bike at the end of the bars. Do you have to run the wires under the hand grips? If so, will grip heaters like DualStars roast the wires?

Actually they are probably illegal in Mass since they are not amber. This regulation states that forward facing motorcycle turn signals must be amber. http://www.mass.gov/rmv/inspect/540cmr4/sec406b.htm

Cool idea, I'm just curious about how practical it is.

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868

Last edited by Bones; 02-04-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 04:42 PM

I think it would come down to whether you think you would be ticketed for it. Down here in NJ (another police state), I don't think the police would even bother you with it.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heehaw View Post
I think it would come down to whether you think you would be ticketed for it. Down here in NJ (another police state), I don't think the police would even bother you with it.

From the look of the photos, the lights look more blue than anything. Cop lights are blue in Mass and no other vehicles can have blue lights. Any light that flashes blue is calling LEO to pull me over, especially when more municipalities are looking at traffic tickets to fill budget gaps. I may be able to convince LEO that those LED's are a safety feature, but I may end up having to explain that to the judge. LEDs are available in amber, and perhaps they are available for less than the $40 Acerbis charges for whatever color their LEDs are.

The bigger issue is really how to wire them. I've got no problem finding the OEM turn signal lead and tapping into it, I'm just not sure where you run the wire from the handguard. Does somebody know?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 06:51 PM

I asked the same question in a different thread (http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...6&postcount=81) but haven't found out anything yet. Mine shipped today, so if we don't hear anything sooner I will let you know when they show up.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
I asked the same question in a different thread (http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...6&postcount=81) but haven't found out anything yet. Mine shipped today, so if we don't hear anything sooner I will let you know when they show up.
Thanks, Steve.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

This from Motostrano, which sells Acerbis Dual Road Handguards in the USA

Update for Case #16034 - "LEDs for Acerbis Dual Road Handguards"

Scott

The wires would need to run along the side of the bars and down to the signals and tucked away the best you could. You could also drill into the bars and come out by your clamp. I doubt your grips would do much to the LED not touching them. The LEDs are a standard white, not amber.

Hope this helps. The LED kit is totally optional and in fact, has not yet been delivered to us yet from Acerbis. The guards came before the LEDs in other words.

Joe

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 10:18 AM

So I guess the wire comes out where the guards attach to the end of the handlebars. Not sure I want to drill any holes in my bars. Has anyone drilled holes in their bars?

I also wonder how hard it would be to switch out the LEDs for amber ones.

I also find it interesting that he says that they haven't received the LED kits yet, since they shipped mine and it doesn't say anything about the LED kit being backordered. This might get interesting!

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!

Now I have four!

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 11:46 AM

I've been looking for a straight ahead shot of these handguards on a V for a while, but have only been able to see them installed close up, and not a picture where I can see the overall look of them on the bike.....do you think you could post a few up so I can get a good look?
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 11:36 AM

Here you go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1688s.jpg (379.9 KB, 3772 views)

Steve

Now I have four!

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 04:12 PM

Well that's the best looking (to me) handguards
yet. Oh, I see now, there isn't any connection
on the inner end of the guards. Do you think
these would hold up well to a get-off? Or are
they just for wind/brush protection?
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Yep, almost too pretty to be on a bike. They look more like art...

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 08:23 PM

That is why I got these...most of the others look to much like a dirty bike guards. I am sure these wouldn't provide as much protection in an off as guards with a full loop, but they are pretty substantial at the end of the bars so I am sure they would provide good protection. They work great for wind protection in colder weather. I also think that not having a loop helps eliminate some of the vibration in the bars. It appears that they provide some damping by not being attached at both ends.

So far I really like them!

Steve

Now I have four!

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 07:23 AM

Vibe dampening

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
I also think that not having a loop helps eliminate some of the vibration in the bars. It appears that they provide some damping by not being attached at both ends.
Never thought of that. I was about to write them off
because it appears that you do away with the stock
bar-end weights. The only way I would do that is if
the replacements were more substantial, such as with
the Throttlemeister rigs. (Which I'm still no clear will
allow handguards at all, or at least how...)

But I abhor gaudy graphics and these do look very
'understated'. Your vibration dampening suggestion
is tenable (they don't buzz, do they?). Now I'm back
to vacillating...
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 07:37 AM

I haven't noticed any buzzing and I did about 10 minutes on the interstate last night running about 75mph. I really think that they flex just enough to counteract some of the buzz in the bars. So far I like them a lot. I am with you on the graphics and that turned me off to most of the guards that I have seen. The small Acerbis on the front of these handguards is just silver paint and should be easy to remove.

I am going out for a longer ride this morning so I will update my impressions this evening.

Steve

Now I have four!

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 08:02 AM

We've had two days of rain over here so I'm
glad you're able to ride. Looking forward to
hearing more...
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 08:08 AM

We got some rain Friday night and Saturday morning, but most of the rain you guys get goes around us or falls apart as it comes over eastern AL. Today looks awesome!

Steve

Now I have four!

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 07:14 PM

sharrison56

Can you get full travel of the bars with a Givi shield and those guards or did you trim somewhere?

Cheers,

sm
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 07:49 PM

I didn't trim anything. The guards flex enough for you to get full travel even with the Givi screen. They contact when you turn the bars to to lock them, but after they are locked they move back enough to take the pressure off.

Steve

Now I have four!

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 07:55 PM

Thanks, I think I'm going to order a set. Unfortunately no dealer will bring them in Canada as Acerbis's domestic supplier won't stock them.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 08:22 PM

If I can help, let me know. I would think that you could get them from a US distributor if they are carrying them locally.

Steve

Now I have four!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode