Corbin -- help - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Corbin -- help

I have a gift certificate for a Corbin seat. As such, I am hoping to not get a pile of responses about the BMW retro-fits and other brands of seats. Has anyone bought the Corbin for the Versys? Likes and dislikes? I want to increase the height by about 1-1.5 inches and I want to eliminate the forward slant a little, is this doable with Corbin without too much of a headache??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPorges View Post
I have a gift certificate for a Corbin seat. As such, I am hoping to not get a pile of responses about the BMW retro-fits and other brands of seats. Has anyone bought the Corbin for the Versys? Likes and dislikes? I want to increase the height by about 1-1.5 inches and I want to eliminate the forward slant a little, is this doable with Corbin without too much of a headache??
I ordered a Corbin to lower my seat height which it did and it pretty well eliminated the forward slant. It did not give me any more height so if that's what you are looking for, go elsewhere.

I ended up going back to the stock seat because after a while, the Corbin was like sitting on a brick. Also, it was wider at the crotch which caused my legs to spread more when I stopped and put my feet down.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 08:13 AM

I bought a Corbin seat off of one of the guys on the forum and it does everything you mentioned. There are a couple of things to be aware of, but overall it seems like a really nice seat (I only have about 4 hours on it). It is very firm. From what I have read it should soften up just a bit. It provides much better support, as it is a bit wider and firmer. The front is a bit higher and eliminates any sliding to the front for me. The pillion is higher and doesn't slope forward. If you have cases, the brackets may infere with it latching, but that can be solved with a few washers under the latch ring on the seat.

The main thing I noticed is that you seem to sit in it more that on it like the stock seat.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 03:18 PM

My experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPorges View Post
I bought the corbin and the things I noticed where:
1)- A lot smaller passenger area. Almost unsusable for a lot of passengers(and I am a small guy-140#) when the backrest is used.
2) Brick hard-Again i wasnt heavy enough to break it in.
3) SLICK- I slid all over it!!
4)Horrible customer service-Never again for me.
5) again you probably arnt going to get a taller one. How bought a set of lowering blocks for your pegs?

2008 Versys
Muzzy Exhaust-race core!!

Upgraded Kawi Windshield
Madstadd Bracket
Fiamm 132 db low note horn

Osram Hyper 65 h7 lights

Kawi/Givi V35 Bags
Shad SH-29 Top Case
SW-Motech Quick release Brackets
Sw-Motech Alu-Rack
Garmin GPSMap 60csx

Joe Rocket Manta Tankbag-Red
Kawi Tank Protector
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 04:57 PM

Were I to go aftermarket seat, I wold definitely go Russell Day-Long. They look unusual on the V, but seats just don't come any more comfortable!

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 05:40 PM

DanPorges,

As you can see from these responses, talking about Corbins is a lot like talking about oil, tires and religion.

My comments will be similar to bits and pieces noted above, but with a couple of additional ideas thrown in that might help you use your voucher and come out with a good seat for your needs.

First, here are the things I agree with from the above comments:
  1. The Corbin is firm. This is the classic complaint with Corbins, but I think it's a matter of expectations. It's a love it or hate it thing. I've had 2 Corbins and I will have more as long as their customer service doesn't get any worse than it already is (see below). I think of the Corbin firmness as being like an old weathered rocking chair - the kind you'd find on a front porch with no cushion. It molds to your butt just right so it supports instead of cushioning. I've put some serious miles on mines and my booty never complains.
  2. The Corbin addresses the forward slant.
  3. You sit "into" the Corbin instead of on it (after it's broken in). I wish mine had just a bit more pocket, but it definitely is more of a form fit than the stocker.
  4. Corbin customer service is inconsistent at best, and downright horrible at it's worst. I purchased my first Corbin (KLR) from an aftermarket dealer. I got my Versys Corbin direct from Corbin (their now-preferred approach). I have no complaints about their service other than that they were a bit uncommunicative when it came time to ship. My seat showed up sooner than they said and it was just right. Others have reported tons of problems, and I'm sure they are true. I've heard Corbin is undergoing a lot of changes as they shift to a direct-to-customer model versus their traditional dealer network. Hopefully it's just growing pains, but I suspect it has more to do with the fact that they have rested on their laurels a bit. More competition in the premium saddle market will get them inline quick enough I suppose.
  5. Depending on which leather finish you get, you can end up with a pretty slick seat. Mine is a bit slicker than I would like, but nothing to complain about really. I don't see how any genuine leather seat is ever going to be as grippy as a plastic covering. Corbin used to offer a "gripper" surface seat. I wish they still did. I've considered using one of the many gripper seat covers out there, but I like the looks of the Corbin stitching so much that I haven't really looked into it.

I respectfully disagree with the following:
  1. I did not notice any increase or decrease in rider height. A review of the threads will show that some people experience both. I think the height of the unladen seat (I can't think of that word without thinking of Monty Python and Search for the Holy Grail) is just a bit lower than the stocker, but it does not compress as much when the rider sits on it. As DallasDon reported, the seat is a bit wider than the stocker, so the additional leg spread effectively makes it taller for the short-legged folks among us (of which I am one).
  2. My wife finds the pillion quite comfortable, and neither one of us are petite by any standards. We haven't ridden a huge amount together on this bike, but she finds it more comfortable than my previous Corbin or the stocker on the Versys.

IDEA
I suggest you call Corbin and get them to make you a custom seat with extra foam for increased rider height. This sounds a lot more extravagant and expensive than it really is. It's my understanding that every Corbin for the Versys is pretty much made to order (low demand), so all it takes is a little bit more instruction up front and they will make it pretty much the way you want. You may not get all of the extra height you're looking for, but I feel certain that they can increase it an inch or so.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 05:52 PM

Hmmm. After reviewing my response I just realized that I probably need to get a life.

Chris in Oneonta, NY

>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 06:08 PM

Corbin seats are a love them or hate them. I have had four Corbin seats for different bikes. I presently have one on my Versys and Concours 14 as well.

They are firm, but no more so than Sargent seats IMO.

One thing about good seats, if you don't like the one you get, you can generally sell it easily and get most of your money back to try another brand. I have purchased a couple of seats from folks who weren't satisfied. We all came out ok in the deal.

I would probably try the Sargent . That is the one I was thinking about when I found the Corbin for sale on this site. I have always thought they made a good looking comfortable seat.

Regards August

Anybody else think these buffalo wings taste a lot like chicken?

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Restored 69 Honda Trail 90
Whizzer motorbike
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 07:18 PM

Dan, I just got the Corbin Friday. I am firm believer that one cannot evaluate a motorcycle seat until you have a 1000 miles on it. And you can plainly see my bike is still in the base. Too much snow and cold here in Wisconsin.
However, I will say this.
It dropped right in. No hammering. No washers. No shimming. One well placed karate chop and it latched. No probs there.
It got rid of the "boys" on the gastank. Quite the relief I must say.
Mine does not seem slippery. It is much heavier than the stocker. I did not weigh it though.
My wife sat on it for a bit and she liked it. She is not tiny but not large either. She has to have a backrest and was pleased with the room and security it gave her.
I did not take the bike off the stand so cant comment on height change or if there is one at all.
You do sit in it not on it. And that I like.

Take this opinions with a grain of salt please. I have zero miles on it but several vroom vroom minutes.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

That looks sharp!

...but in a comfortable way, as opposed to a 'pointy' way.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 08:51 PM

siyeh, I like the red piping. I considered that when I ordered mine, but I was not willing to risk a bad color match. It looks like the match is very good from the picture.

Also, august makes a very good point about the resale value. I've done that a lot with windscreens and such. Everyone wins and you get a chance to try out stuff to find out just what you like.

Chris in Oneonta, NY

>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 12:27 PM

I have had a Corbin on my V and love it. Solved my sore butt problems, and the boys ride happily all day.

I have a Russell on my K1200GT, and that is best seat I have ever had. But I did not think it would work so well on the V (at least for me), since the V is higher than the K12 and I thought the Russell wings would get in the way of flat-footing. So I went with the Corbin and have not regretted it. -- Hank.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonBreath View Post
I was not willing to risk a bad color match.
The Corbin rep on the phone told me "we got two reds". I said pick one and throw it together. It worked out fine.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 10:05 PM

So if you don't want the gift certificate how much is it for and are you willing to sell it?
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 07:30 AM

I have a Corbin and I love it. My issues were the forward slant and the too soft padding. The Corbin addressed both of those issues successfully. I also asked Corbin to not use the stitching across the seating area (Butt ugly IMHO). It is, with out a doubt heavier than stock. The height is a bit lower but is balanced out by being a smidge wider. One other issue is that being that it's made from leather, I use the stock seat when I wash the bike. Or if I know it's going to rain while i"m in class. I keep a plastic bag in my soft saddlebags just in case. All in all....I'm very happy with the purchase.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 08:53 PM

I had a Corbin on my old Buell Blast. It was really comfy and let me sneak in 300 mile days with no sore butt on the little thumper.

If I hadn't needed to buy a new sewing machine for work, I would have a Corbin on the V, too. Oh well, it is a farkle to look forward to.

Paul
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
Dan, I just got the Corbin Friday. I am firm believer that one cannot evaluate a motorcycle seat until you have a 1000 miles on it. And you can plainly see my bike is still in the base. Too much snow and cold here in Wisconsin.
However, I will say this.
It dropped right in. No hammering. No washers. No shimming. One well placed karate chop and it latched. No probs there.
It got rid of the "boys" on the gastank. Quite the relief I must say.
Mine does not seem slippery. It is much heavier than the stocker. I did not weigh it though.
My wife sat on it for a bit and she liked it. She is not tiny but not large either. She has to have a backrest and was pleased with the room and security it gave her.
I did not take the bike off the stand so cant comment on height change or if there is one at all.
You do sit in it not on it. And that I like.

Take this opinions with a grain of salt please. I have zero miles on it but several vroom vroom minutes.

Yeah that it friggin beautiful man!

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 07:24 PM

This is sooo not scientific. I used a $2 garage sale scale for cripes sake.

I knew the Corbin was heavier. I had no idea.

Stock seat. 5 lbs.

Corbin. A strong 11 lbs.

Corbin with significant other backrest. A strong 14 lbs.

So there you have it. WOW.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 08:04 PM

Well I am keeping mine!!! I just hope I can get it broken in soon.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 02:58 PM

that red corbin looks awesome, but yea, they're heavy, but who cares if it's comfy, yea? if all you want to do is de-slope it and raise it 3/4" of an inch, you can buy a 2' x 2' square of blue foam from REI and put it over the stock foam. wa-la. you're out $8 for foam, but you'll need a new seat cover...there's a local guy in my area that does awesome bike seat upholstery, or you can find an auto upholstery guy or mail it to sargent.
anyway, corbin makes a nice product, but seems like peeps either love it or hate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode