RAM mount on MadStad Windshield Bracket - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
RAM mount on MadStad Windshield Bracket

It's winter in New England. PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome) has set in. Sitting on my bikes and making motor noises just doesn't cut it, so like most winters I go out in the garage every so often and think. I haven't ridden my Versys more than 5 miles but already I knew I wanted a better location for my zumo than on a handle bar mount. I don't like having many focal distances -- the road (far ahead), bike gauges (near ahead and down), zumo (nearer ahead but down and left). I figured the best place for the zumo would be right over the tach at the same or nearly the same focal distance. I read about Speedy's GPS mount, and then I read that it won't work with the MadStad windshield bracket. I wondered if I could make it work somehow.

My bike came with an early production MadStad bracket (the previous owner lent his bike to MadStad during development) and a second larger windshield with holes drilled at the wider spacing for the VStrom application. (Kudos to MadStad, by the way, for sending me a stiffening plate to upgrade my bracket and a new set of well nuts at no cost. ) The space on the stiffening plate between the mounting points is empty real estate, which gave me an idea.

In my collection of parts I found a RAM base. My buddy held it in place on the forward facing side of the stiffening plate while I tried a few options. The short RAM arm that comes with the zumo wasn't long enough so I borrowed the longer (4") RAM arm I use on my ST. With the RAM mount centered and flush with the curve on the bottom end of the stiffening plate, we found that the longer RAM arm oriented the zumo over the tach with room to adjust it a fair amount.

My buddy happens to be a toolmaker and he offered to drill the holes with a drill press and supply some stainless nuts, lock washers and Allen bolts to attach the RAM mount to the MadStad. This morning I met him for breakfast (my treat, of course) and he returned the bracket with RAM mount in place. This afternoon I installed it and am very happy with the result. The zumo has a good range of motion so I can change the display angle. The windshield (the one I have anyway) retains its full range of motion up/down/tilt.

The photos show the zumo in place and the RAM mount bolted onto the windshield mount from the front and looking up from below. The power lead snakes up from under the dash through a gap in the plastic so it hides almost completely.

Now to take it for a ride...OK, first the ice needs to melt off my driveway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bones Versys zumo 4.jpg (170.7 KB, 1110 views)
File Type: jpg Bones Versys zumo 1.jpg (186.8 KB, 1352 views)
File Type: jpg Bones Versys zumo 3.jpg (300.5 KB, 1270 views)
File Type: jpg Bones Versys zumo 5.jpg (111.5 KB, 975 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868

Last edited by Bones; 01-25-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 07:58 PM

That's a great idea. I might try that myself as I have the same windshield mount.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Great job!!

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 08:54 AM

Looks good. Nice and neat. I routed my power cord the same way (I have Speedy's GPS bracket).

-Alan
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:39 AM

Correct me if I am wrong. It looks like you could use the original mounting holes for the Versys shields, and still drill for the RAM mount, although you would have to just drill through the adjustment plates as well. How much space do you have left between the windshield and the bottom of the RAM arm. I hope that made sense.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by white26golf View Post
Correct me if I am wrong. It looks like you could use the original mounting holes for the Versys shields, and still drill for the RAM mount, although you would have to just drill through the adjustment plates as well. How much space do you have left between the windshield and the bottom of the RAM arm. I hope that made sense.
There are several holes on my RAM mount. I used three, but you may be able to use just two (top and bottom) so you wouldn't have to drill through the adjustment plates. Also you may be able orient the RAM mount such that some set of three holes would need holes drilled through the cross piece/stiffening plate but not the adjustment plates. Looks like the outside edge of the RAM mount will overlap the adjustment plates for the narrower setting, but you could compensate with a washer or two.

As far as how much space is left between the windshield and the bottom of the RAM arm, I'm not sure which part you're defining as "bottom" but when I set my zumo as shown in the photos my windshield does not touch the RAM arm or zumo cradle anywhere throughout the entire up/down/tilt range. You could have contact with the windshield if you adjusted the RAM arm straight up and down, but you wouldn't do that if you wanted a zumo to sit directly over the tach at about the same focal length from the rider. I imagine that will be windshield specific. Looking at my bike from the side, the RAM arm is positioned about 10 to 15 degrees closer to vertical than the fixed arms of the MadStad bracket. Plenty of clearance (Clarence).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 11:55 AM

This is great news! I was debating on getting the Madstad mount because I wanted to use Speedy's to put a Zumo above the cluster. Seeing thought that you have found a way to do both is great. I have the the OEM larger windscreen by the way and hope it works good with this setup. Maybe its been a while since I looked at the Madstad bracket, but it is currently running 120 bucks. I thought it used to be a little more, or am I losing my memory? (too many blasts! lol)
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 12:11 PM

Send a message via MSN to joshmedley
dude, was debating the mount for not wanting to give up my speedy mount. i didn't think about a ram mount. 2 points for bones!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmedley View Post
dude, was debating the mount for not wanting to give up my speedy mount. i didn't think about a ram mount. 2 points for bones!
Thanks for the positive feedback, guys. I've learned a lot from my fellow riders on the ST and Versys forums so it's good to share something that works for me with everyone else.

I sent an email to MadStad with a quick explanation and a link to this thread. Maybe they could drill the holes at the factory on future orders?

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 02:13 PM

They could also cut a radius on the adjustment brackets so that there would be no gap between the bottom of the RAM mount and the stiffening? bracket.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 08:27 PM

I'm doing this (or similar) on my V. I also have a Zumo, and I got a new mounting bracket from gpscity (the original bracket is on the BMW). I just got the MadStad brackets, and I've had a few Ram mount pieces floating around that I wasn't really using.

With the standard Versys size/drilled windshield, the round RAM mount you've pictured won't fit because the brackets are too close together. Unless you're ok with it not being flush, because the bottom parts of the bracket on the plate get in the way. A smaller diamond shaped ram base will fit, however, and I just happened to have one. With the four inch ram arm I think the positioning will be perfect above the tachometer. I also have a locking knob for the ram arm, BUT ... I don't think it will fit. It sticks out pretty far and the sides of the bracket or the windshield might be bumping it.

I won't know till I get it all fitted. Have to see if the neighbor has a drill press, or maybe dial up my favorite machinist, or spring for some sturdier drill bits. My current set of bits didn't make a dent in the madstad metal.

One minor set-back ...

Then I also have to work out the wiring. The kit came with a wire lead long enough to go all the way back to the seat. Not sure how to wire it up myself, I may need professionals to do it for me. Can't be that hard, though. I just want to be sure it turns off with the engine and doesn't suck up any battery power.

DM
2009 Kawasaki Versys, "Dr Doom"
2009 Suzuki Burgman 650, "StormTrooper"
2003 Suzuki Burgman 400, "Yoda"

Last edited by darcym; 02-04-2009 at 08:53 PM.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcym View Post

Then I also have to work out the wiring. The kit came with a wire lead long enough to go all the way back to the seat. Not sure how to wire it up myself, I may need professionals to do it for me. Can't be that hard, though. I just want to be sure it turns off with the engine and doesn't suck up any battery power.
A GPS draws very little current. You can tap into a switched circuit for the tail light or license plate light. Pretty easy. Put a fuse inline between the GPS and whatever wire you tap.

I got a note from MadStad about the thumb wheels that hold the shield in position. It's possible to remove them and turn them around so the wheel is on the outside. That may free up some space. The nuts get crimped just a touch so they don't fall off so it may be hard to get them off and back on, but it's supposed to be possible.

A long RAM arm combined with mounting the RAM ball nearer the top of the MadStad cross piece may enable you to position a GPS above the thumb wheels.

Let us know what you are able to work out.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
A GPS draws very little current. You can tap into a switched circuit for the tail light or license plate light. Pretty easy. Put a fuse inline between the GPS and whatever wire you tap.

I got a note from MadStad about the thumb wheels that hold the shield in position. It's possible to remove them and turn them around so the wheel is on the outside. That may free up some space. The nuts get crimped just a touch so they don't fall off so it may be hard to get them off and back on, but it's supposed to be possible.

A long RAM arm combined with mounting the RAM ball nearer the top of the MadStad cross piece may enable you to position a GPS above the thumb wheels.

Let us know what you are able to work out.
Damn, i wish i would have searched this b4 i bought a handlebar RAM mount because of the issues with the madstad bracket. I should have known someone here would have already figured it out. These forums rock!

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 11:00 AM

A slight variation

All the credit to Bone's for the idea. However, I have my Madstad set for a versys shield. Wasn't happy with the overlap on the brackets and the surface mount ball. Also I don't have a Zumo on this bike. I have a SP 2720. So there's not enough room between the brackets for the GPS. So I just took the handlebar ball mount that came with my Zumo (useless on the RT), and used it on the V.
It worked great and pulled the ball mount about 1.5 inches closer to me and gave me the bracket clearance that I needed.

2008 BMW R1200RT
2008 Kawasaki Versys
2002 BMW R1150RT
2002 Suzuki VStrom DL1000 (Gone)
2002 Harley FXDWG Wide Glide (Gone)
2002 Harley 883 Sportster (Gone)

Last edited by waxrash; 02-07-2010 at 11:01 AM. Reason: picture did not work
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Great idea!

I've seen a RAM ball with a base shaped like an ellipse that would fit in the space with the Madstad set for a Versys shield, but your way uses parts you already paid for.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868

Last edited by Bones; 02-07-2010 at 12:06 PM.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 01:49 PM

My usual story is..... think about the problem, spend $75 on bits, mounts, bolts and other crap. Then end up using stuff that I had in my garage to start with.
I should just start out with "I have to do this with stuff in my garage".
Then the stuff I didn't need is too expensive to return, and it goes in the garage for the next project. I just tell the wife it's an "Investment".

2008 BMW R1200RT
2008 Kawasaki Versys
2002 BMW R1150RT
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 11:59 AM

I just ordered a RAM handlebar mount for my GPS. I considering using a plate mount on my Madstad Versys adapter plate as described here but I was concerned about vibration, especially if I use it for a camera. It seems like the whole Madstad setup is not that rigid. Are you guys finding that this is not an issue?

Jon H

Jon H

Past: 1972 Honda CT70H, 1973 Hodaka 125 Wombat, 1974 Yamaha RD350, 1978 Suzuki PE175, 1980 Suzuki PE250, 1978 Honda CB400TII Hawk, 1996 Suzuki DR350SE, 2000 Kawasaki EX500 Ninja, 2006 Suzuki DL650 VStrom, 2004 Suzuki DR650SE

Today: 2008 Kawasaki KLE650 Versys
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 04:29 PM

Not really. You are correct about the madstad not being as sturdy as I'd like. I have a larger Cee Bailey's touring windshield and at idle, it shakes quite a bit. Love the versys, but it vibrates like a Harley at idle (just much quieter). As for the GPS, I'm very happy with the mount position, at anything above dead stop idle, it's totally fine. A little shakey at idle, but no worse that my Zumo mounted on my RT. I think anything that mounts to the fairing structure is going to give this problem. I however love the sightline, on both bikes I can reference the GPS without taking my eyes off the road (okay mostly), and the glare is less. I started with a handlebar mount and just did not like the glare and having to look down at it. My 2 cents.

2008 BMW R1200RT
2008 Kawasaki Versys
2002 BMW R1150RT
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 05:09 PM

Good to know. I guess I'll wait to try the hbar mount when the weather gets warmer but I suspect I'll ending switching to a setup similar to yours.

Thanks
Jon H

Jon H

Past: 1972 Honda CT70H, 1973 Hodaka 125 Wombat, 1974 Yamaha RD350, 1978 Suzuki PE175, 1980 Suzuki PE250, 1978 Honda CB400TII Hawk, 1996 Suzuki DR350SE, 2000 Kawasaki EX500 Ninja, 2006 Suzuki DL650 VStrom, 2004 Suzuki DR650SE

Today: 2008 Kawasaki KLE650 Versys
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 11:46 PM

For the Madstad I mounted a 3/16" thick aluminium plate between the windshield adjusting brackets that was approx. 4 3/4" long by 4 3/8" wide using the existing holes in the Madstad brackets. The Ram ball is then mounted at the top center of the plate facing the rider which puts it above the tach.
The Ram ball is similar to the one that waxrash has pictured in his post.

No pictures available at this time.

Last edited by Ziggy; 05-18-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode