Vista Cruise AND Hand Guards? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Vista Cruise AND Hand Guards?

I've searched the forum but did not find a discussion regarding whether hand guards can be installed with a Vista Cruise throttle lock. I'm wondering if there are any clearance issues with hand guard mounts and the operation of the throttle lock.

Thanks for any insights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 10:06 AM

i run a universal cruise lock with a set of emgo hand guards...no issues
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I've searched the forum but did not find a discussion regarding whether hand guards can be installed with a Vista Cruise throttle lock. I'm wondering if there are any clearance issues with hand guard mounts and the operation of the throttle lock.

Thanks for any insights.
I run a Vista Cruise Universal and KTM Handguards. No issues. I could send you a pic early next week if you want, but others have posted pics of installations basically identical to mine, and they have no problems.

regards, Bob

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 10:48 PM

No problem

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks...it works!

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 09:37 AM

Gustavo, what brand are those handguards???
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudduck View Post
Gustavo, what brand are those handguards???
I'm not Gustavo, but those are KTM handguards.

regards, Bob
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 04:24 AM

Gustavo; How did you install your Vista Cruise. The model I have (not yet installed) has a bar that attaches to the handle bar. With the type of hand guards I have a mount that sits inbetween the grip and the controls, right where the vista cruise mount goes. I see that you aren't using that mount. How does it work that way.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 11:24 PM

Dorian - I'm guessing the model you got is the "universal" type. Machog has one of those. Mine is the Honda/Kawasaki dual throttle cable type, it has a small tab on the back side that is supposed to hookup to one of those throttle cables. Of course, the Versys does not have any exposed cables, so I attached it to the back of the throttle cable/kill switch housing with a small screw.

To eliminate the risk of damage to the throttle cable, I cut the tip off, so that it does not protrude much into the housing. You will want to test that and verify it doesn't on your installation.

I have an NEP on the V-Strom, I think the Vista Cruise is a little nicer because it's easier to engage/disengage (both cost the same).

Two things to keep in mind. The Versys throttle grip is installed very close to the switch housing, I ended up cutting the end to eliminate the excessive friction and the throttle tube has a ridge right where the throttle lock should go, so that also interferes with smooth throttle action. I filed the ridge off. It's more work than I have ever had to do on any other bike, but having the throttle lock is really worth it on long trips.

Gustavo

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPrice View Post
I run a Vista Cruise Universal and KTM Handguards. No issues. I could send you a pic early next week if you want, but others have posted pics of installations basically identical to mine, and they have no problems.
a question about your KTM handguards...what type or model are they? I've checked w/ dealer before and they had a hard time cross refrence to V. Also I've been considering the Kaoka cruise. It looks like the Vista is 1/3 the cost. does it work well for you?
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 05:11 PM

Dorian, if this is the model you are referring to, I put a spacer in the top bolt of the housing along with a longer bolt obviously. Works great.

Machog

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter View Post
a question about your KTM handguards...what type or model are they? I've checked w/ dealer before and they had a hard time cross refrence to V. Also I've been considering the Kaoka cruise. It looks like the Vista is 1/3 the cost. does it work well for you?
These: http://www.ktmtwins.com/950superendu...207910030.html

I put them on, they work well and look good. Takes a bit of trial and error to get them lined up so everything clears, but less than an hour start to finish.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter View Post
The post from Bone's details the KTM handguards I have. They work great, and no issues! The Vista cruise Universal works great, just incorporate the install into the Brake clamp, and you will have to use spacers to accomodate. All this has been detailed in prior posts. You will be happy!

regards, Bob
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machog View Post
Dorian, if this is the model you are referring to, I put a spacer in the top bolt of the housing along with a longer bolt obviously. Works great.

Machog
I have seen your approach in a previous post and thought it was great but, the problem I had is that the Acerbis hand guards I have, have a mounting bracket in between the grip and the control housing. What I ended up doing is cutting a peice of metal to bolt into that bracket and then bolting the arm of the Vista Cruise to that. When i get the chance I'll take some pictures. Thanks for your reply and suggestion.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
These: http://www.ktmtwins.com/950superendu...207910030.html

I put them on, they work well and look good. Takes a bit of trial and error to get them lined up so everything clears, but less than an hour start to finish.
Thanks alot, that really helps.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
I have "Zetas" with my Universal, mounted like "Machog" did.
Ed

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 06-07-2009 at 12:45 PM.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 05:56 PM

I just got and installed my vista universal cruise and it's installed the same way as Machog's is and I can't for the life of me get the dang thing to hold the throttle for more than 1-2 seconds before I have to grab the thing and reset it again. The way it's set now I can release for almost 2 seconds to stretch my fingers before I'm going 10 mph slower and if it's not on my throttle doesn't snap back when I let go, I have to roll off. It's not safe at this point in my opinion, but could really use some pointers on what I can do with it to make it work, or should I just save some cash and buy a kaoko?

What I was hoping when I bought this thing was to have the ability to take my hand off the throttle for a minute tops to rest my fingers/wrist and as it is now with what I do have I spend more time trying to make it work than paying attention so I figure it's got one more day or two before I chunk it in the trash.
thanks for any help!

Postholes
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 06:42 PM

Hmmm that's odd.

I can take my hand off on the flat or flatish for quite a while to rest my hand.

Its possible to crank the domed nut (just above the spring in the photo) down, so you can hardly move the throttle.

What happens when you do that? If that locks down and the Vista ring is tight on the hand grip-it souldn't be able to move.

Machog

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 08:15 AM

Postholes,
Ditto on what Machog said, that's all I can think of. I had to adjust mine tighter, with dome nut, after experiencing a similar problem, but now it's fine.

regards, Bob
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
PLUS - you can 'shim' the domed nut with washers under it for more tension, and if you feel that the 3 little socket set-screws are deforming the rubber piece rather than holding, try a piece of .020" brass shim stock under each set screw. That's what my KLR requires.
Cheers,
Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode