Front mud guard removal - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Front mud guard removal

Hi all, I stuck a fender extender onto my front guard the other day with some sticky silicone, due to the minus degrees in my garage it didn't stick very well.

I now want to remove the front mud guard to stick it down firmly and do a proper job,
is it an easy job to remove the mud guard/hugger with the wheel still on???

any advice would be great

Cheers
pants
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 10:56 PM

I left my mud guard on and used PVC purple primer and glue to affix the fender extender. Only took about 30 seconds and it was stuck permanently. No problems since.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 06:53 AM

I think he's looking to get the current fender extender off.

I haven't removed it myself, but it looks like four bolts (two built into the reflector) and some brake hose hangers are all you need to deal with to get the front fender off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 09:12 AM

Pants, I removed my front fender when I installed my extender so i could clamp it securely. It is easy to do. I think there are two bolts on each fork leg. One bolt on each side holds a reflector. You also need to detach the brake line keepers -- those little plastic clamps.

-Alan
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 04:59 AM

Removing the brake line clips, with the wheel in, has foxed me completely, I just can't do it Any tips?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 09:15 AM

I remember there was trick to it, but I would need to look at the clips to recall what it was. I will take a look in the garage when I get home after work.

-Alan
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

I stuck the fender on as I refused to use the self taping screws, But im thinking due to the very cold whether the sticky stuff didnt set and the fender extender fell off, So I need to get the guard off to totally remove the old sticky stuff and re do the job properly.

Cheers fellas if its just 4 bolts I will attack it tomorrow then use some proper
sticky stuff
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 10:08 PM

OK, I looked at the brake clips on my front fender. Each clip is a loop with a barbed post that goes through the fender. The barb serves to hold the clip in place.

The post is actually split from the tip to the loop. To remove it from the fender, deform the loop so that one leg of the post is longer than the other. This will offset the sides of the barb and allow the post to slide out of the hole in the fender.

Does that make sense? Here's a picture that I hope helps. It's not the exact clip used ont he V, but it is close enough.

I think I may have pinched the post from the underside also. I can't remember for sure. Make sure the clip isn't too cold (brittle).

-Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode