Installing the "Vista Cruise Universal" - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Thumbs up Installing the "Vista Cruise Universal"

I posted previously about modding the plastic piece on a Vista Cruise to replace the aluminum semi circular piece at the rear side of the front brake reservoir.
Just finished a BETTER fix: bought a flanged M6x40 bolt and put it through the plastic Vista Cruise part that anchors it, with a 5/16" brass nut (that I had lying around...) between it and the ORIGINAL Versys semi circular piece, then screwed it in with Loctite. Works GREAT!
Cheers,
Ed
Joe2Fat2Stupid likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Pics? I'm good at visualizing, but this is a wee bit too much.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 05:55 PM

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Gorilla and Rabbit -

Here're 3 pictures to help identify the install. Didn't have time to do them last night.

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01272.JPG (554.4 KB, 462 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01273.JPG (623.1 KB, 433 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01274.JPG (621.5 KB, 555 views)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 08:51 AM

That's a good fix, Ed. Thanks for sharing.

I'm about to tackle intalling DualStar grip heaters and BMW Sport Grips. Should I wait until after those are done to install the Vista Cruise? Any advice regarding how much space there needs to be between the inboard end of the grip and the switch pod? I assume the Vista Cruise has to fit in that space.

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Cool

Bones:
The "Vista Cruise" goes onto the throttle side grip up AGAINST the flange on it's left (check out my pics again, especially the center one). Then you attach the plastic 'arm' to the rear (driver's side) of the front brake reservoir with the M6x40 bolt and nut for spacer, and you need to ensure that the reservoir moves a bit so the 'arm' isn't binding BEFORE you tighten it down. (I used the thickest of the long rubber fillers, and on other bikes I've had to add some .020" brass shim stock between the rubber filler and the three little set screws so they don't just distort it.)
Do all the other jobs first.
If you've never used a "Vista Cruise" before - you'll LOVE it! Now you can relax your throttle hand and enjoy the scenery...!

Ed
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 06:57 PM

I don't know if this will work on the Versys, but I plan to take the switch case apart soon to see if it will...

I also have a Triumph Sprint, and on that bike I was able to take a standard Vista Cruise designed for another bike (a Suzuki sport bike if I recall correctly.) I first ground off the prongs that were designed to hold the vista cruise in place on the other bike's throttle cable.

Then I found a place in the switch case where I could drill a small hole to eventually place a small screw. You obviously need to find a spot where the screw won't contact any elecricals or the throttle cable. Next you drill a hole the same size in the Vista Cruise, precisely where it will overlap the hole you drilled in the switch case. At that point you place a short screw though the two holes, and that holds the Vista Cruise in place. Just like that, you're finished. It looks very clean. Even the screw doesn't show on my Sprint as it is hidden behind the flare of the grip.

It was a very simple install on the Triumph, but you do need to be careful where the screw hole is placed in the switch case or you can do a lot of damage.

I'd like to take credit for this, but I found a description of the process on webbikeworld a few years ago.

I can't say for certain if there are any open spaces in the Versys switch box to allow for placement of a small screw, but I plan to take a look this spring.

(Sorry, but the Triumph is in storage so can't take any pics for you right now. I hope I've described the process well enough to visualize. If not, I'll try to take pics this spring.)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Bones:
The "Vista Cruise" goes onto the throttle side grip up AGAINST the flange on it's left (check out my pics again, especially the center one). Then you attach the plastic 'arm' to the rear (driver's side) of the front brake reservoir with the M6x40 bolt and nut for spacer, and you need to ensure that the reservoir moves a bit so the 'arm' isn't binding BEFORE you tighten it down. (I used the thickest of the long rubber fillers, and on other bikes I've had to add some .020" brass shim stock between the rubber filler and the three little set screws so they don't just distort it.)
If you've never used a "Vista Cruise" before - you'll LOVE it! Now you can relax your throttle hand and enjoy the scenery...!

Ed
Thanks Ed!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Bones:

Ed
Wow! You must havve some quiet roads and not a lot of bends if you can use cruise control on a bike! I wouldn't even have it on a car here in the UK! Far too many twisties and poor car drivers...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by essexben View Post
Wow! You must havve some quiet roads and not a lot of bends if you can use cruise control on a bike! I wouldn't even have it on a car here in the UK! Far too many twisties and poor car drivers...
Actually I don't view a throttle lock as "cruise control," per se, but rather as a convenient way to briefly maintain my pace when my carpal tunnel wrist asks to move in a different way for a few moments. I can't remember ever having locked my throttle on any bike for more than 10 or 15 seconds.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by essexben View Post
FWIW, I use it a LOT! It doesn't "LOCK" the throttle, as much as it just adds 'tension' so it resists closing suddenly when you release pressure on it, and you can EASILY increase or decrease throttle while the Vista Cruise is "on".
Helps a lot if I'm in a speed zone, as I set it and put a lot more of my attention into watching other vehicles, etc.
Cheers,
Ed
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I also have a Harley with a true cruise control, and I use it all the time! I guess you guys don't do a lot of long-distance Interstate rides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode