Handlebars - Bend/measurements - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Handlebars - Bend/measurements

The Versys is close to offering the perfect ergos for me, but changing the handlebars is necessary to get it really dialed in. Unlike most on this board, I want to lower the bars slightly. I also want to reduce their sweep (pullback.)

So, to anyone who is good at measuring these things, what aftermarket dirt bike bar bend is closest to matching the stock Versys bars? Or simply, what are the measurements, primarily of the height and sweep?

I've taken some measurements, but it feels like more of an approximation, because I'm not certain that I'm measure along the correct plane.

If I can be accurate about starting point with the stock bars, then I can use those specs to to get bars more to my liking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 Versys...still bonding to the bike.
2005 Husaberg FE450E. I LOVE this one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
... dirt bike built for my wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 12:54 PM

Ya got me

I'd be interested to know what you figure out though
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 04:08 PM

I have tried several bars on my V . The Renthal Road bike Ultra Low fit but are very tight to the tank on full lock and have to be tilted a long way up so i would not recamend these .
Renthal..Dougie Lampkin 4,5 trials work well but need aprox 20-30 mm cut off each end ..no clearance problems here, these bars are lower and have less sweep than standard.
when looking at bars you need to make sure the part of the bar that the switches and grips fit onto is long enough.
i have chrome bars fitted and the have K 10 markings , dont know what they are or where they come from .

More pics in photo gallery
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00361.JPG (827.3 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00362.JPG (722.8 KB, 324 views)

Last edited by Willie Fawcett; 01-06-2009 at 04:46 PM.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 12:47 AM

I measured it some time ago, IIRC, it was:

Width - 775mm
Rise - 140mm
Sweep - 90mm

I posted it on the Versys Forum (maybe even here too) in an old thread, you should be able to find it and verify if it doesn't seem right.

Gustavo
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 05:15 AM

I also tried measuring them a couple weeks ago which is hard to do accurately while they are still on the bike. My measurements here are also very rough but I would be interested to know if your measurements are close to mine. My width does not incluse the end weights. I use the attached Renthal picture as a reference for measurements.

A: width = 750
B: height = 118
C: rise = 60
D: clamp area = 190
Attached Images
File Type: jpg renthal.jpg (20.8 KB, 187 views)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 05:17 AM

Sorry, I forgot E: sweep = 110
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 06:30 AM

Shouldn't the sweep spec be in degrees?

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Shouldn't the sweep spec be in degrees?
Possibly, I think I have seen some bars spec'ed in degrees but the renthals seem to be in mm. It's easier for me to measure in mm than to try to measure the angle. All the info I could find from Renthal states, "All measurements are listed in millimeters" (see links below).

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...IZE-CHART.ASPX

http://www.motocrossgiant.com/Articles.asp?ID=111

And here is a better picture of how they are measured.

http://www.xnd26.dial.pipex.com/hbdimex.htm

When i get time, hopefully i can take the bars off of the Versys to measure them accurately. I also am very happy with the ergo's as is but want them just a little higher. I would prefer a different bar than a riser.

Cheers, John
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 11:21 AM

The ? is...what are the stock specs?

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 01:02 AM

I just picked up a henry/reed protaper. it's almost 2" lower than the ATV low, so we'll see if it fits in a couple of days...the KX high might be the one that works, still 1.25" lower than the ATV low, however....
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomla View Post
I just picked up a henry/reed protaper. it's almost 2" lower than the ATV low, so we'll see if it fits in a couple of days...the KX high might be the one that works, still 1.25" lower than the ATV low, however....
Are you using it with a Rox riser? I'm gonna eventually pull the trigger on riser and bar. Just trying to figure out which bar to go with it.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 08:18 PM

no rox for me. I went out on a long ride today and realized I'm not getting enough forward lean on the V, I gotta get some lower bars on for the sake of my neck!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

First, thanks to everyone who posted numbers. The variances are confusing, but at least I feel a bit better about my own troubles in measuring this stuff. Oh yeah, I measured a height (not rise) of approx 140mm and a sweep of 64mm. The sweep numbers in particular are all over the board here, but it looks like if I avoid "ATV" bars then I should be able to get less sweep than stock, which is a goal.

Second, the above post is the reason I want slightly lower bars. A somewhat more forward lean will make any windscreen work better, but I have a theory about another benefit...

... A more forward lean MAY improve the seat. It may seem silly, but the seat seems pretty comfortable when I'm planted back against the rise of the passenger perch. A slight lean forward of the torso should make it easier and/or natural to stay back.

We'll see.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomla View Post
no rox for me. I went out on a long ride today and realized I'm not getting enough forward lean on the V, I gotta get some lower bars on for the sake of my neck!
I'm confused. Was your ride with the stock bars, or your new ProTapers? If the new bars, how did they compare (ergos, not quality) with stock?

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 01:51 PM

I went out on the stock bars, which keep me too neutral as far as back muscle engagement. I want to be right on the edge of lower back muscle engagement.
The henry/reed protapers do barely fit, with about 1/8" clearance on the clutch side, and the throttle cable adjuster wheel kisses the body work on the other side. The CR high may be the lowest bar that works. the stock bars seem to be about 4 3/4" from bottom of the bar to top end tip of the bar with the bar vertical.

Last edited by tomla; 01-11-2009 at 10:50 AM.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
... A more forward lean MAY improve the seat. It may seem silly, but the seat seems pretty comfortable when I'm planted back against the rise of the passenger perch. A slight lean forward of the torso should make it easier and/or natural to stay back.

That's a good point, and makes me think of the W650 which I used to have. It also had a forward sloping seat issue, much worse than the versys I think (wonder if the same kawasaki guy designed both seats). I changed the bars on the W650 with the optional lower bars and it did make a slight improvement as far as seating position. I didn't have a windshield on that bike so I can't speak to that, but I found myself sitting on the gas tank a little less frequently.

On the versys, I am just concerned that lower bars would interfere with the fairing if running handguards which i plan to install soon.

I did just install a set of Moto Werk peg lowering blocks and although I only had a short ride with them I can say that they definitely make a positive change to my seating position.

Cheers, John
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 02:03 PM

OK so i went on the renthal handle bar site posted earlier. so i understand this correctly. the measurements are taken with the "c" dimension (rise) set vertical and all other are taken with the "c' in this position correct? so a bar with c close to B will be an horizontal bar correct? with just a pull back for the reach, where as a b larger than c increases the pull back the greater the difference as you approach horizontal on the handle bars?

does anyone know all 5 dimensions for our bars? a-width, b-total height, c-rise, d- clamp width, and e-total width? i keep seeing the width, pullback and height but no mention of rise which effects the total pull back as the bars get tilted to a horizontal position they become more pulled back. I will try to get some dimensions tomorrow or the next day to see what i come up with.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 09:43 PM

Satex, I went with the ProTaper S.E (seven eights) Dirtbike/ATV bars. They were identical measurements to the stock bars. I bought them for $69.99 at Cycle Gear. They do reduce vibration considerably. I was able to eliminate the bar-end weights and go with bar-end mirrors.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...=TUC_02-5255_G

You will have to drill 1 hole on each side for the bar controls (they have a little nub inside that keeps them from twisting) - I used the old bar as a general reference.

2009 Versys
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post
I measured it some time ago, IIRC, it was:

Width - 775mm
Rise - 140mm
Sweep - 90mm

I posted it on the Versys Forum (maybe even here too) in an old thread, you should be able to find it and verify if it doesn't seem right.

Gustavo
Assuming the above specs to be accurate. I would like to end up as close to stock specs as possible other than wanting less sweep. First off, my reason for this change is to reduce vibration to the hands. That being said, I am going with the 2" (50 mm) rise ROX anti vibe risers. So to get approximately to the stock rise specs I would need a bar with a 90 mm rise. The Pro-Taper "Woods hi" bar has a 95 mm rise with a 65mm sweep. This is pretty close to what I'm looking for. Anyone use the EVO bars on a V yet? I really want to switch to the fat bars for strength and vib resistance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode