TopCase Racks - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
TopCase Racks

I have seen the Givi & SW-MOTECH Rear Rack systems on the internet and was wondering which one to buy. Are there other racks avaliable. What is your opinion? I'm looking to use the rack basicly as an extra storage area to strap down a bag or case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 09:40 AM

I think someone on here busted their Givi top rack's mounting tabs. The rack systems (top and sides) don't all work together; the top and side racks from Kawasaki, in particular, will not work together.

I'd say get the full SW-Motech setup. I've got buddies with Givi stuff on their Gen1 FZ1s and while it's good, it's not great.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 09:46 AM

Hi Jeff,

I have the SW Motech on my V, and one nice thing is that it has interchangeable plates. I have an adapter plat that lets me mount a Givi top case, but I can remove it and just have the bare rack. or I can get a different plate to mount some other type of case if I want.

This is the best pciture I have of the bare rear rack:

This shot shows the Givi adapter plate attached:

I like the SW Motech setup overall. It's sturdy and very useful. I have the whole rig for side cases and top case, which might be more than you are looking for. Let me know if you have an yother questions.

-Alan

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 09:56 AM

Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing. I'm going to miss that big flat rack I had on my KLR. I once carried home 30' of plastic pipe from Home Depot with that bike. If I could just get a rack to lash down a duffel bag I would be a happy guy. It's personal preference, but to me a Givi top case looks like you're carrying around a giant bowling ball on the back of your bike.

Last edited by charly; 12-24-2008 at 10:10 AM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 10:02 AM

Does anyone have a photo of the bare Givi rack? Givi is easier to get here in Canada. From what I have been able to figure out you leave the factory grab handles on with the Givi rack. I don't know if that's good, bad or if it really matters. Maybe that's the weak link with the Givi rack - the tabs that stick out from under the seat where the grab handles bolt down.

The Motech rack does look good. Thanks for posting the photos.

Last edited by charly; 12-24-2008 at 10:09 AM.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the pics, I'm thinking my decision is made but I'd still like to see the Givi Rear Rack before my decision. Thanks everyone.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 12:06 PM

Hey Jeff, if you find a place in Canada (or better yet, Alberta) that sells Motech, can you let us know?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

You bet, I usually order from the U.S. and ship the items to the UPS Depot in Sweetgrass Montana and just run down and pick-up. With our dollar so low I'm not sure what I'll do.

I ordered the Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0 Jacket and Pants from Riderdiscount.com and with the exchange, shipping and duty I still managed to save $127 compared to buying local or in Calgary. That's even with shipping right to my house.

Thanks for the help. I'm planning a trip next June to Denver so I'll be purchasing sometime in the new year.

Jeff
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 11:01 AM

I also have the SW-Motech top rack and i am very happy with it. They also have a 'soft luggage adaptor' that quickly attaches and will allow you to easily strap or bungie things. I bought 2 extra adaptor plates, one i use to attach a milk crate, the other i use to attach my 'homemade' topbox (army surplus aluminum storage box).

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg versys-toprack01.jpg (121.8 KB, 326 views)
File Type: jpg versys-sla01.jpg (122.8 KB, 389 views)
File Type: jpg sw motech soft luggage.jpg (110.8 KB, 434 views)
File Type: jpg topbox.jpg (119.4 KB, 435 views)
File Type: jpg sealtest.jpg (130.9 KB, 217 views)
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 11:23 AM

I just ordered a SWMotech rack. I also ordered the adapter plate for the Givi Monokey cases. This will allow me to toss on my spare JCW topcase until I can afford to get a Givi E45. I have SWMotech stuff on my CBR and SV and the quality is amazing so I am going with them for stuff for the V as well.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all. I think that I'll order the SW Motech rack. If I don't order an adapter plat when I purchase my rack will I be able to buy one when I decide on my Rear Case? For now I think I'll just order the Soft Luggage Adapter. Does anyone have any comments on the Cases? I'm thinking that bigger is better for storage but with the different Brands available I'd sure like to be able to have one that's good quality and that locks and removes easily! Thanks All.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 11:50 AM

The Versys is sort of utilitarian so I am sticking with that look on mine. Having said that I think any utility type case will look good on the V. I had an E45 on my concours and really like it. I put bungie buddies on the top and could lash pretty much anything to it that I wanted (within certain weight limits).

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 03:47 PM

Stylin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruh View Post
I also have the SW-Motech top rack and ... attach a milk crate, ...
I'm glad you got a color-matching red milk crate!

-Alan
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 08:16 PM

Send a message via MSN to demuire Send a message via Skype™ to demuire
Umm, is it just me or does it look like you'd be able to steal the top box if you had an allen key? ie, even with the top box on, you can still take the plate off...?
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 08:29 PM

Hmmm... you have a point. A set of security Torx (or other security bolt) would make that more difficult. I'm sure that once the bolt size and thread pitch are determined, a set (and then some) of said bolts and an appropriate driver/bit could be obtained from McMaster-Carr.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 08:29 AM

Those hex bolts are angled. If the top case is on, there is not enough room to get an allen key in there. With the soft luggage / milk crate plate on they would be blocked too.

-Alan
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 03:02 PM

Send a message via MSN to demuire Send a message via Skype™ to demuire
Really? It doesn't look like it from the photos, but then again it's hard to tell from the photos... Does anyone here know how thick the Givi baseplate is? Tossing up between the SWMotech and the H&B rack now. Prefer the look of the SWMotech (and it's slightly cheaper), but not if it compromises security... I suppose another option is to replace the bolts with cap heads, that way there'd definitely be no way to squeeze an allen key in there
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 06:48 PM

Demuire you have a sharp eye. There is definitely room to easily access the allen head bolts as this picture shows. Keep in mind that my top-box is very narrow, a real, store-bought top box might be wider and at least would hide the bolts from eye.

I see no reason for me to ever remove the plate from the tubular frame of the rack so I will consider some security bolts or I might just fill in the allen sockets with jb-weld or other such epoxy.

I am surprised that sw-motech didn't recognize and address this possible security issue.

With the soft luggage adaptor or my fashionable red milk crate, there is zero security but I already knew this. I've only used the milk crate for quick trips to the grocery store and back (it fits a 12 of beer perfectly btw). I have only used the soft luggage plate for straping my lunch box going to work and back.

Cheers, John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg access.jpg (103.8 KB, 115 views)
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruh View Post
Demuire you have a sharp eye. There is definitely room to easily access the allen head bolts as this picture shows. Keep in mind that my top-box is very narrow, a real, store-bought top box might be wider and at least would hide the bolts from eye.

I see no reason for me to ever remove the plate from the tubular frame of the rack so I will consider some security bolts or I might just fill in the allen sockets with jb-weld or other such epoxy.

I am surprised that sw-motech didn't recognize and address this possible security issue.

With the soft luggage adaptor or my fashionable red milk crate, there is zero security but I already knew this. I've only used the milk crate for quick trips to the grocery store and back (it fits a 12 of beer perfectly btw). I have only used the soft luggage plate for straping my lunch box going to work and back.

Cheers, John

Easy to solve the security issue. Locktite 262. They will never be able to remove those.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demuire View Post
Umm, is it just me or does it look like you'd be able to steal the top box if you had an allen key? ie, even with the top box on, you can still take the plate off...?
Hard cases bring a false sense of security. It doesn't take much more than a pocket knife to get into your bags. Whether the the base can be removed with some tools seems to be irrelevant given how easy it is to break into the case itself. It keeps your gear out of sight, so it helps keep honest people honest and maybe makes the opportunistic thief go look elsewhere. If someone whats your stuff, it's gone in a few seconds...

Luckily, in most of the US it's not an issue, but I have seen stuff vaporize faster than you can say Givi Monokey in some big European cities.

Gustavo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode