Mikes shield plus Madstad - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Mikes shield plus Madstad

I got the large touring shield from Mike, and also the Madstad bracket for the Versys.

I got the shield with no holes, and drilled my own using the wider spacing of the brackets for the Wee Strom.

Even with the additional stiffening plate for the bracket I still had more wobble than I like with a large shield.

I added some bolts to the bracket to make the stiffening plate more solid, and also am trying a wedge between the bracket and the top of the cowling to prevent movement . If it works out, I will make something more attractive.

Looking at the Madstad bracket through the shield, it is just plain ugly. I painted the lower part of the shield to cover up as much as possible.

I was using the XL Calsci, shield, and Mike's is actually smaller than the Calsci.I haven't gotten to test the shield out too much yet, due to the crappy weather we are having right now, But I think with the adjustability of the bracket and Mikes shield, I might have a winner.I think the ability to slant the shield is going to be a big help.

I included a picture of the Calsci over the top of Mike's shield.

I think Mike makes a nice shield, finished nicely, seems to be really good quality. Good service too. When the weather turns nicer, I will report more on how I think the shield works for me.

Here's some pics.

Anybody else think these buffalo wings taste a lot like chicken?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Restored 69 Honda Trail 90
Whizzer motorbike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 02:57 PM

Mike's touring shield - can you see over it?

Nice photos.

Mike's touring shield - can you see over it while seated in the normal position?
How tall are you?

I'm not completly happy with my Givi windshield when riding in the 65 to 80 mph range. I get buffeting in the forehead area of my helmet (I'm 5' 9").
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
Nice photos.

Mike's touring shield - can you see over it while seated in the normal position?
How tall are you? .
Thats the GT (Grand Touring) Shield and its around 20 inches tall in the center. I dont think you would have a problem looking over it.
Thanks for posting the pics August, looks good painted like that too.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Mounted as you see in the picture, which is the lowest setting for the Madstad, I can see easily over the shield. Slanting the shield back lowers it even more

I'm 6 feet tall.

When the Madstad is raised fully and in the forward postion, then you look through the top part. That is where you would probably put it in a driving rain storm or something.

Mounted to the standard Versys mounting brackets, I would look over the top as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Whizzer motorbike
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 02:31 PM

Like what you did. I have a GIVI shield that I hate and have been looking at Mikes Grand Touring Shield. To stiffen up the bracket you could use aluminum angle on the top.

Im in Longmont Colorado. I would love to see your bike in person. PM me.

Jerry

2008 - Red Versys
Mikes Grand Touring Shield
Cortech Bags
Painted Plastics
Shad 46 Top Case

It matters not how fast you go from point A to point B, its what you see in between that counts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 06:10 PM

it's visually challenged

..that bracket is hard to look at...not my cup of tea. I used a 1/8" soft shim under the stock front bracket with a longer bolt to get some layback on the shield. I may end up cutting down the stock bracket and rewelding it. there is also a VERY nice looking adjustable bracket out there, I just can't remember where I saw it.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 09:16 PM

Thats excellent info August, and thanks for the info in your response to my PM. Just curious, what prompted you to go beyond the Calsci and try the Mikes.....thanks!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Turnbud.

When using the madstad bracket with the calsci, I had to use the narrower mounting holes, because my calsci was already drilled for the Versys bracket.

I was not real happy with the wobble I was getting, and the consensus was that the wider mounting position would lessen the wobble.

I ordered the Large touring from Mike without any holes in it so I could use the wider wee strom mounting holes, and also I could experiment with where I wanted the holes so I could get the different heights that I wanted.

I could have used the calsci and just drilled more holes, but spare holes would look pretty cheesy.

I like the calsci, no problems with it, but I liked the looks of Mikes shield, and wanted to experiment with a shield that had the flip at the top.

I haven't gotten a chance to put a lot of time on the bike with Mikes shield yet, due to the weather, but what time I have spent so far, I am impressed with it, I think it's a keeper.

You can see from the pics, what I did to kind of beef up the bracket.

Regards August

I like your little dog. I lost my little guy two years ago, and it still hurts.

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Whizzer motorbike

Last edited by august; 02-18-2009 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Dog.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 05:11 PM

August, well hopefully you will get some riding weather soon and give us a full report!

Yeah, that's our new little beastie - we put our 16 year old Border Collie down a few weeks ago...had her long before the kids, so I know what you mean. This new one doesn't realize how small she is!!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 08:34 AM

Hi again, August...so do you have an updated report on Mikes plus madstad? How's it working out? Cheers. Dave.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Turnbud.

I have gotten in some really good rides lately, the weather here has been great for a couple of weeks.

I like the combo of the madstad and Mike's shield. Have tried a lot of different settings with the bracket, and I can notice changes in the way the wind hits me depending on what direction the wind is hitting me from.

Around here, the wind always seems to be from the side no matter which direction you go, at least in the winter.

I notice that I seem to get a lot of wind on my chest when the shield is at the highest setting and tilted back. That position makes a pretty big opening between the shield and the cowling.

When I put my hand down to see where the most wind is coming from though, I think the most is coming from under the headlight and up in front of the gas tank. I am not sure if the combination of windshield position and air from under the headlight makes it worse or not.

The madstad is kind of a double edged sword if you will, it gives the options to raise and lower, but it also makes for a rather large opening between the cowl and shield, which may be good or bad depending on conditions. In the summer for instance the big opening is a good thing, in the winter, maybe not so good.

In my experience, all shields are a compromise, and they all have areas where they perform well, and areas where they don't do so good.

Someone said, "It's a motorcycle, expect wind". I have had a couple of shields that were not adjustable, and I experienced real buffeting, the kind that actually makes your head bounce around. I have not had that with Mike's shield. Yes, there is wind, but not the brutal kind that some shields give. I find that noise inside the helmet is a product of the helmet , not so much the shield, although the shield can alter to some extent how much noise the helmet makes.

All things considered, I am happy with the combo that I have, I can live with the few shortcomings.

As far as Mikes shield goes, I am very happy with it. It looks good on the bike, is a good quality product,and I think it does as good a job as any shield I have used on the Versys.

I am a sucker for new windshields and claims of how good they function, but, I am finally learning that there is only so much a shield on a bike can do.

If I had it to do over, I would definitely get another shield from Mike. I will continue to use the Madstad and Mike's shield, it is the best setup I have used so far.

No riding today, we are having a snowstorm with 50 mph wind.

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Whizzer motorbike
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 01:51 PM

Many thanks again August for your always useful and thorough explanations....Gotta admit, Mikes is definitely one of the best looking shields. On my last bike I went through 3 or 4 shield experiments - trying my best this time to reduce that number by getting more input up front..

BTW, I will be starting a new thread - discovered that Algard sells an adjustable bracket as well as Madstad - I haven't seen anyone comparing the pros and cons of each yet... Cheers. Dave.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Dave, I have heard something about another bracket, look forward to seeing what you find out.

August

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Whizzer motorbike
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by august View Post
I am finally learning that there is only so much a shield on a bike can do.

Man aint that the truth. Unless you have full adjustability on the fly (electric up and down as well as tilt) there is never going to be the perfect solution. Mostly because what is perfect in still air at 80 mph doesnt work so well in turbulent air at 55 mph. There truly isnt a one size fits all when it comes to fixed windshields on a motorcycle. Glad you like the shield. I have found that I run around with the standard touring model most of the time but I can guarantee if and when I take off on a trip my GT will go back on the bike. Around town it can get warm behind the GT in stop and go traffic though (outside air temp 85+).

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 04:26 PM

Thread from the dead.

August,

Can you give your Strom hole spacing measurements so Mike can make me a Grand Touring just like you've set up? I finally got around to mounting my MadStad bracket after an 1100 mile trip with the "V-Stream" on the stock brackets. It worked well, and I loved having my Zumo 450 mounted on Speedy's mount, but I'm looking to give myself options right now.

Mike,

If you've already got the hole spacing measurements for a V-Strom setup I'll just place an order and make a note to you. One thing I'd like is the holes drilled just slightly larger than the bolts (as opposed to your standard large holes.) If possible...

Thanks all,
Jim
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Mack Daddy

I can measure the holes for you, but I have found that no matter how closely I measure, and then you transfer my measurements, or Mike does, they will be off enough to cause trouble.

If Mike doesn't have the measurements, my suggestion would be to get the shield without holes and then hold the shield up to your bracket the way you have it mounted, and then mark and drill your own holes one at a time after putting in one screw at a time. That is the way I did mine, and it works well that way. You can then make the holes the size you want, and you can place the shield as high or low as you want. By doing one hole at a time , you eliminate any chance of mistakes.

I you don't want to do it that way, you can pm me and I will take the measurements off of my shield for you.

August

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Whizzer motorbike
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 11:00 AM

Yeah probably the best thing would be to drill your own since I dont really have a V-Strom around (wish I did) to align everything up with. Its really difficult to get the holes aligned even with a Versys sitting in the garage. That is one of the reasons for the oversize holes, it allows you some room to align the shield with the bike. Also they allow for slight measurement errors and expansion and contraction.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 04:22 PM

Alright. I'm not hip on drilling my own, but if that's the best way to get it right so be it. I'm going to put my V-Stream up for sale first.

I'll be in touch.

Thanks guys,
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode