Throttle lock vs CrampBuster - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree13Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Throttle lock vs CrampBuster

Hey all ..

Been checking out throttle locks for my '09 and they are really expensive. Came across something called a Crampbuster which looks to be a cheap little piece of plastic that goes on the throttle.

https://www.amazon.com/Crampbuster-C...53C51587V&th=1

Doesnt necessarily provide any sort of cruise control (which is ok) but does it really work in providing relief of cramping? I will say, my hand falls asleep on longer rides and the idea of a throttle lock is intriguing .. but I just can't stomach 150 clams and this might be a cheap alternative .. much cheaper.

Thanks in advance and yinz ride safe ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 11:40 PM

amazon (Go Cruise) or (Easy Cruise) they work great and much better then Cramp buster, Safer as well. Cramp busters have been known to cause accidents. I had one on a Vulcan 1600 and it was not quite even OK.You still have a grip on the throttle tube while useing it so your numbness may get a little better but it never really goes away, And hard to keep put where you need it to be . Also check Ebay you can buy similar to go cruise very cheap.
dkelley, Tcruarceri and mbjenkins like this.

Smooth is fast.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 07:55 AM
jpd

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
With a cramp buster you still can't take your hand off the grip/bar. Like to stretch your arm or hand. I am using the simple o-ring between the grip and bar weight. Not as quick or easy as a Go Cruise but it works.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Have been on Cramp Buster for quite sometime and it works. Cramp is cause by the level of grip and once you just place your palm on the throttle without any grip you have relief on you cramp. Its mostly stressing of you hold on the throttle that causes cramp and also stiffing of your shoulder. Relax and ride. sometime its also contributed by hard gloves that restrict blood flow. to prove a point try riding with open end glove and see the difference.

I spend about 2 hrs working out with weight lifting and it improve my handling of the bike as I age , so there is a lot going on behind the little cramp on your fingers.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 11:02 AM

Garage
I've used the go cruise on my 2009 V650 and 2018 V1K. It is a simple, elegant solution that works. Does it keep perfect speed over a long distance? No, but does keep a consistent rpm, and allows me to rest my hand for a bit. I also have a crampbuster on the V1K. Between the two of them, I can keep cramping to a minimum on an extended ride.

'09 Versys
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 01:12 PM

I know lots of riders who swear by the Crampbuster (there are a a few similar devices out there, too). I tried it but I found it got in the way, but it might work for you. I've also used various throttle locks over the years, including the famous yellow Caterpillar o-ring, Vista Cruise, the original (non-adjustable) Go Cruise, and the newer adjustable Go-Cruise, which is the one I'm using on my Versys. The Vista Cruise was my favorite, but they only work on certain bikes. The newer Go-Cruise works pretty well for me, and is fairly simple and inexpensive.
dkelley and foxpro like this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, Retreads Int'l.

Shoodaben ECU reflash; SW-Motech luggage rack, side racks, cases, foot pegs & GPS shelf; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; RKA tank bag; Nat'l Cycle windscreen; Givi hand guards; BMW grips; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; full decalectomy.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My Cramp Buster has been ground into the pavement of I-94.
Seems like every time I was in sketchy traffic the Cramp Buster got in the way and tried to kill me. GO CRUISE!!!
dkelley likes this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
CRAMPBUSTERS...?

Two of my buddies had crashes caused by using a CRAMPBUSTER. First was in '04 on my first Alaska ride, both of us riding Suzuki Bandit 1200S bikes.

My buddy went to visit a friend (he'd worked in AK for about 30 years), and rode up a steep drive, the WRONG one, then tried to turn at the top, turning right (INTO the throttle) and the CRAMPBUSTER caught, throttled up - and he went down, UNDER the bike w/ the wheels above him, which he couldn't get out from under. Luckily his buddy went looking and found him, helped get the bike UP and OFF, and he threw the CRAMPBUSTER as far as he could!

Second happened here in AZ a few years back - both of us riding V650s - on a dirt road called the "Barkerville Road". My buddy leading, the heel of his palm caught the throttle as his bike was flicking back-and-forth in deep sand at the left side, so I got to watch (in horror!) as he ran off the road, ran into a boulder and did a "flying-W" thru the air, landing on his back in front of his Versys. LUCKILY he wasn't badly hurt, BUT the bike was - cracked his crankcase and let the oil out. I seem to remember HIS CRAMPBUSTER flying thru the air about 20 yards till it landed in some cacti.

dkelley, dmer and foxpro like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
do both.

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 07:38 AM

I've used this before, they are OK and allow you to at least take your hand off the throttle.

https://www.amazon.com/slp/motorcycl...vv5uvo9j4hg7g4
dkelley likes this.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 09:26 AM

As you see I use both, and each has its own advantages.
Crampbuster helps with the tightening pressure on the acceleration, and Go Cruise to relax the hand on straights.

It really helps on long trips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190512_121143.jpg (51.4 KB, 15 views)
dkelley likes this.

Versys 2015 Green
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 11:35 AM

For me, gocruise is ok where traffic is light - generally highway - where i can maintain speed for a distance. Crampbuster good for heavier traffic, slower speeds where i can rest hand on it to maintain throttle, but be ready to react. My issue with crampbuster is it is too wide, thus too easy to mistakenly whiskey-throttle. So i ground off about 30% of it on the inboard side, still big enough and less 'in the way'.

Spendy, but anyone tried the Atlas throttle lock?

Ride more, bitch less - secret to good life!
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
i always end up with a kaoko throttle lock. spendy but rock solid.

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the feedback. The Go Cruise 2 is in my cart on amazon since that's the consensus. Some use both but the posts about crashes using CrapBuster have me scared of it right now so we'll see. Anyhow, great discussion and thanks again.
mbjenkins likes this.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Unread 03-19-2020, 04:01 PM

Got the Go Cruise 2 a few years ago. Not perfect but does the job. I only use it if I know I'm going to be on the slab for an extended period. I've got Grip Puppies or Grip Buddies over my heated grips, and have the rubber friction ring pretty stretched.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Unread 03-19-2020, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
im happy with my "cramp buster" but to each there own if you have to blame something for your crash because your not a very good rider maybe you should just stick to the cage for your transportation

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

Last edited by silviefox; 03-19-2020 at 11:36 PM.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 08:12 AM

A little late to the party here as I was outta town. I use two different solutions that I didn't see posted here.

I use a Throttle Rocker, version 1. It installs and removes quickly and has an ergonomic shape to it and can be adjusted going down the road. Unless something has changed it is only available in Canada due to a patent lawsuit in the USA. Some online mail order outfits will ship to the US.

My other solution is the ultimate, a Rostra cruise control. Installation is a bit daunting but the final result, having real cruise control, is priceless on 500 mile(or shorter) days.
quexpress likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 12:11 PM

I have both the Go Cruise adn a Crampbuster. Each has its purpose.

I agree with the potential danger of a crampbuster. On my 1200GSA I got into a sudden stop situation and quickly gripped hard on the bar (both hands). But my right hand pushed the crampbuster down, causing the bike to push forward while trying to stop. I found I had the Crampbuster set too far up on the grip. Once I turned it down a bit, it is no longer in the way. But still works.

I also have one on my Versys 650. It just gives you that extra ability to loosen your grip a bit on long rides to avoid . . cramps! A little goes a long way, so it does not need to be set too high.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 06:11 PM

Garage
the crampbuster only turns one way (on purpose) so its only adjustable when you stop. well.... you can make it open the throttle more, but not less unless you use two hands. in my KLR days I used a tiny bungee between the grip and the switch housing. others use a big "O" ring. cheap, simple, and they work. on my Versys I installed heated grips & the way it fits is so snug the throttle stays where its put. just enough friction to hold steady

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Unread Today, 09:09 AM
jpd

Garage
A throttle that will not go back to idle on its own will not pass safety inspection in my state.

A cramp buster is not inherently dangerous. The problem is when an unusual situation occurs and you have to grab at the bar. Like in a panic stop when you grab a handful of front brake and the palm of your hand hits the buster and you speed up instead of slowing down.

I didn't like how wide mine was. It made it too easy to activate it because I couldn't get my hand not to contact it. I didn't try to cut it narrower.

Jeff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in