• 1 Post By Turk
  • 1 Post By SouthernCruizer
  • 2 Post By REDHORSECA
  • 1 Post By mtucker436

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Sargent Seat Initial Review

I installed (attached, don't want to make it sound hard) my Sargent Seat today and took a short test ride. I purchased the standard model, not the low. I didn't want to compromise the rider geometry for comforts sake even though I wouldn't mind the seat being a bit lower. I had read that the seat is a bit resistant to install to the Versys 650 but mine snapped right in, easier than the stock seat as a matter of fact.

I went for a short ride with the stock seat before replacing with the Sargent as I had not rode my bike since last October. I should preface, I never hated the stock seat like many here do, my biggest complaint was some cramping and pain along my thigh on very long rides. So how was the Sargent by comparison, the first thing I noticed is how much denser/stiffer the foam is as the seat is less soft. The next thing it felt like the rider area of the seat was shorter and I was sitting higher. Neither were true. The rider seat only felt smaller because I wasn't sliding forward and pushing backwards anymore, I was essentially staying put. And because I was staying put and the seat wasn't as soft I was simply sitting on the fatter part of the seat so it felt taller.

Other than that the other immediate difference that I noticed is that the step or bump that your tailbone rests against is more pronounced. The stock seat slopes to the passenger seat a lot more gently where the Sargent cups you more and you feel the step or bump along your lower back/butt.

As many have stated, it doesn't feel immediately better or more comfortable than the stock seat and maybe it's not a big enough difference for the cost. I really don't have the answer for that until this riding season starts and I take my first long trips. If I were to take a guess I would say it's sneaky better in many little ways that make it worthwhile. Speaking of worth, I purchased mine during the President's Weekend sale for around $375. I didn't add any pinstriping or heated elements so it's just basic black.
mbjenkins likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 11:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
I installed (attached, don't want to make it sound hard) my Sargent Seat today and took a short test ride. ... Speaking of worth, I purchased mine during the President's Weekend sale for around $375. I didn't add any pinstriping or heated elements so it's just basic black.
What year model your Versys ??

LOP
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lours_polaire View Post
what year model your versys ??

Lop
2016 650 lt.
Lours_Polaire likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
I installed (attached, don't want to make it sound hard) my Sargent Seat today and took a short test ride. I purchased the standard model, not the low. I didn't want to compromise the rider geometry for comforts sake even though I wouldn't mind the seat being a bit lower. I had read that the seat is a bit resistant to install to the Versys 650 but mine snapped right in, easier than the stock seat as a matter of fact.

I went for a short ride with the stock seat before replacing with the Sargent as I had not rode my bike since last October. I should preface, I never hated the stock seat like many here do, my biggest complaint was some cramping and pain along my thigh on very long rides. So how was the Sargent by comparison, the first thing I noticed is how much denser/stiffer the foam is as the seat is less soft. The next thing it felt like the rider area of the seat was shorter and I was sitting higher. Neither were true. The rider seat only felt smaller because I wasn't sliding forward and pushing backwards anymore, I was essentially staying put. And because I was staying put and the seat wasn't as soft I was simply sitting on the fatter part of the seat so it felt taller.

Other than that the other immediate difference that I noticed is that the step or bump that your tailbone rests against is more pronounced. The stock seat slopes to the passenger seat a lot more gently where the Sargent cups you more and you feel the step or bump along your lower back/butt.

As many have stated, it doesn't feel immediately better or more comfortable than the stock seat and maybe it's not a big enough difference for the cost. I really don't have the answer for that until this riding season starts and I take my first long trips. If I were to take a guess I would say it's sneaky better in many little ways that make it worthwhile. Speaking of worth, I purchased mine during the President's Weekend sale for around $375. I didn't add any pinstriping or heated elements so it's just basic black.
I've had Sargent Seats on many bikes, from FJR 1300s to Suzuki GSX650Fs to Versys 1000 to Versys 650 to FZ1s....ALL of them took a little break in time to really feel the difference between the sucky stock seats and the Sargent. Riding around the block will not give you insight into how it really performs. Come back after 1000+ miles and let us know how it is...
quexpress likes this.

Jayô
2016 Versys 1000
2016 Versys 650
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2020, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCruizer View Post
Come back after 1000+ miles and let us know how it is...
Well, yeah. Thatís why I stated it was an initial review and I would report back after longer tours this riding season. Even with my short ride, there are noticeable differences that I thought were worthy to share.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 12:41 AM

Garage
I bought a like new Sargent seat off eBay from a guy that sold his Versys with the stock seat. The Sargent seat is to hold me over until my Terry's Custom seat is made in April of this year, there was a 6 month waiting list.

I really like the Sargent seat, it's really comfy. I'll keep it for commuting and regular rides.

As the custom seat is going to be made for long distance trips and is going to be much wider than the stock or Sargent seat.
onewizard and quexpress like this.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 07:08 PM

Last year I asked a buddy in NC to look at a low mileage 2015 Versys 650LT for me, he did and bought it and I rode it back 800 to NY. Before picking it up I ordered a Sargent low seat and sent it to my pal. (I had Sargents n a couple of other bikes) I shipped down to NC and rode the bike back. The seat helped me reach the ground as I am 5' 8" and have a 28" inseam. I found it comfortable and since have ridden the bike 5,000 miles with the seat. I like Sargent seats, the quality is good they fit well, I like firm seats, if you like a soft cushy seat don't by a Sargent.
jaaklucas likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtucker436 View Post
Last year I asked a buddy in NC to look at a low mileage 2015 Versys 650LT for me, he did and bought it and I rode it back 800 to NY. Before picking it up I ordered a Sargent low seat and sent it to my pal. (I had Sargents n a couple of other bikes) I shipped down to NC and rode the bike back. The seat helped me reach the ground as I am 5' 8" and have a 28" inseam. I found it comfortable and since have ridden the bike 5,000 miles with the seat. I like Sargent seats, the quality is good they fit well, I like firm seats, if you like a soft cushy seat don't by a Sargent.
Ditto. Ive got the lowered seat as well for the same reasons. Its a firm foam and flat. I knew from experience that it was right for me, firm and flat being foremost. Real nice seat and makes all the difference!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in