Sargent Seat or Sargent Seat Low - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sargent Seat or Sargent Seat Low

Iím 5í11Ē with a 32Ē inseam. I can touch down with my feet but not flat foot. I donít need a lower seat but wouldnít mind having less of a reach. However I would be concerned about distance to pegs being shortened because of the lower seat. Any thoughts on the Sargent seat for the Versys, low or regular?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 05:09 PM

Same "configuration" as you 5'11" 32" inseam - No issues touching the ground with the standard Sargent seat (on my 2012 V650). Not exactly flat foot (on the ground) but still very good ground contact.

Link below points to previous comments made on the Sargent seat. For me, just wasn't a big enough improvement over stock, even after having the Sargent seat modified a second time to lift the front. The issue, same as stock, was the sliding forwards into the tank. Limited my max riding time to ~40min after which I was spending a lot of time standing on the pegs. I realize everyone is different and hopefully your experience will be better than mine. To be fair Sargent was really good to work with and was happy with the quality of their seat. The only other minor issue with the Sargent seat was it could be a bit tricky to put on and remove from the bike.

For me going to Terry's Custom seats resolved the seat issues but at the "cost" of making it a bit more difficult to reach the ground. For me it was a happy compromise.

Happy shopping!

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...229-post5.html
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 05:47 PM

I'm only 5'9" but I use the standard Sargent and the seat riser mod. If the seat were any closer to the pegs, my legs would be a bit cramped. I can't imagine anyone taller than me being comfortable with a lower seat, but we're all different, eh?

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, so it sounds like the regular seat would be a better fit for me. For my part the sloped seat of the stock seat never really bothered me... I mean Iíve noticed it now and then but itís rarely a distraction. Iím looking for a comfort improvement on long rides.

Hello, your Terryís custom seat looks nice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
I'm only 5'9" but I use the standard Sargent and the seat riser mod. If the seat were any closer to the pegs, my legs would be a bit cramped. I can't imagine anyone taller than me being comfortable with a lower seat, but we're all different, eh?
I thought the Sargent eliminated the "slope" and the seat riser mod wasn't needed?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
I’m 5’11” with a 32” inseam. I can touch down with my feet but not flat foot. I don’t need a lower seat but wouldn’t mind having less of a reach. However I would be concerned about distance to pegs being shortened because of the lower seat. Any thoughts on the Sargent seat for the Versys, low or regular?
Im 5 foot 8 inches and have the lowered Sargent seat. Also, I have lowered pegs which retains the same seat-pegs relationship as stock. And the rest of the bike is lowered. The seat clasping is tight for no vibration, the seat comes off easy when you hold the seat down while turning the key. I dont notice the forward slide like the stock seat as your rump area is lowered an inch,the front of the seat is the same I think. Also a great help for me was 2 inch riser bars set mostly for backwards to decrease the reach. Everyones body is different, for me I knew from experience that I need a simple flat seat. The side to side downward sloping of the stock seat for me meant riding on my prostate and "male" parts. I needed to get my 2 "lads", which seem to hang lower now with age, from being banged around so the raised front of the seat was not an option. Therefore I knew that the Terrys bucket seat concept was not for me either. And the game changer on long rides for me is variety of position...highway pegs!
Now Im a happy camper, all issued solved but it took some work. Really,if you cross the line on replacing the stock seat you can try experimenting on it. Flatten it out with a hacksaw blade. My only regret with the Sargent seat was that I didnt get the heated seat option, that is some slick stuff.

Last edited by jaaklucas; 12-02-2019 at 04:42 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloFrom2012Versys650 View Post
...The issue, same as stock, was the sliding forwards into the tank....
Raise the front of your seat for about $3. Try it for awhile, then spend the BIG $ IF that didn't fix the problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
...If the seat were any closer to the pegs, my legs would be a bit cramped. I can't imagine anyone taller than me being comfortable with a lower seat, but we're all different, eh?
I highly recommend lowering your footpegs - the ones I have (from "Motowerk") lower them 1.3" which REALLY opens-up the rider triangle!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULIBIKER View Post
I thought the Sargent eliminated the "slope" and the seat riser mod wasn't needed?
It does to a large degree, but after riding with the Sargent for a while, I tried adding the seat riser back on, and it feels better to me.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:18 PM

Garage
I have the standard Sargent seat and the 3D printed seat riser. This is until my custom seat is done next year, there is a long waiting list.

I'm 6'2" 32" inseam. I flat foot it easy.

Seat is better than stock, the seat is wider in the butt section, spreading my weight better and making it more comfortable for longer periods over the stock seat.

I find that the material on the seat is a bit more slippier sometimes. I slide forwards sometimes, depending on the material of my pants.

I purchased the lowering SW-MOTECH On-Road/Off-Road Footpegs, but haven't got around to installing it yet. I have a center stand and it's not compatible with lower pegs, but I'll give it a shot. I'll try to mod it to work or put it on my other Versys. I feel cramped on the bike with the stock pegs and they are narrow.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
5'10", 30-ish inseam. I have no trouble with the standard Sargent seat. It actually seems a bit easier to reach the ground than the stock seat. It is definitely not higher than stock. Very much more comfortable than stock.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 08:46 PM

Garage
I really liked the low for more spirited riding. As I felt like I was sitting in the bike and not on top.
That was my go to seat for me. Which I am 5-11 with 32" inseam.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20191123_123306_6037.jpg (25.7 KB, 3 views)

It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.

Last edited by Craigar; Today at 08:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in