Stock Hand Guards Modifications - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By turbof4nny
  • 1 Post By Buffalo_Bob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Stock Hand Guards Modifications

Hello all, Has anyone else noticed and done anything about the underside of the hand guards not blocking any air? I feel petty for complaining about it, but it's quite annoying in colder weather. The top of my hands will be nice and shielded, but my thumbs and fingertips around the bottom of the grips are totally exposed to the air because the stock guards don't cover below the grip line. I never realized this until it got chilly outside and after my daily commutes my fingers are frozen! This is on a 2018 V650LT
funflyingguy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yes , but for some reason my right hand gets colder than my left hand. I’m trying to figure out some way to use one of my bigger Handguards of I might get some Oxfords super handlebar muffs . Only $49.00 on Revzilla or Amazon.I really don’t like having to wear Thick winter gloves.

Last edited by Modene; 11-02-2019 at 06:46 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 05:11 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
They are a bit high, yes.
You can loosen all the tie points and move them down about the width of the bone. But they will likely touch the console when steering fully.

FYI, the most important and I'd say mandatory mod you should do is to tie the inside end of the bone to the triple clamp.

During a crash this handguard will flip up because the mounting has no strength. Do not even try to tight the bolts harder you will either strip the allen head or the threads and they will still move. Buy real ordinary galvanized or stainless bolts and washers to replace them all (2 on each clamp plus the small one connecting the bone). This allen key head **** will strip just looking at it.

I loop 3 times a black paracord in the hole at the end of the bone then under the triple clamp.
If you don't tie the handguard this way, you can be sure of 1 of 2 outcomes:

1-fall on left side will lift the clutch cable and beak your adjuster nut
2-fall on right side will possibly crack master cylinder

Why 3 loops? because math: rope rating * 6.... Trying to ensure it can take plenty of weight.
I did file the sharp edges of the bone slot to round it and avoid it cutting the rope upon tension.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
You can loosen all the tie points and move them down about the width of the bone. But they will likely touch the console when steering fully.

FYI, the most important and I'd say mandatory mod you should do is to tie the inside end of the bone to the triple clamp.

During a crash this handguard will flip up because the mounting has no strength. Do not even try to tight the bolts harder you will either strip the allen head or the threads and they will still move. Buy real ordinary galvanized or stainless bolts and washers to replace them all (2 on each clamp plus the small one connecting the bone). This allen key head **** will strip just looking at it.

I loop 3 times a black paracord in the hole at the end of the bone then under the triple clamp.

Why 3 loops? because math: rope rating * 6.... Trying to ensure it can take plenty of weight.
I did file the sharp edges of the bone slot to round it and avoid it cutting the rope upon tension.
Sounds like a sound modification. Any pictures of the mod?
onewizard likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post

I'd like to see a photo of this as well... I need to sort my handguards/cold weather situation.

Here to learn.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbientMoto View Post
I'd like to see a photo of this as well... I need to sort my handguards/cold weather situation.
it was just an FYI...
Doesn't solve any cold fingers issues.

But why not...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips! The handlebar tip allen heads are impossible to loosen!! I think I'm going to end up getting a new pair
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 10:56 AM

Has anyone tried the Oxford Super Muffs mentioned above? Do the fit over the handlebar guards? I tried a different pair (Audew) and they were not large enough.

2016 Versys 650, Carbon Gray/Black
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 02:48 PM

I did install my Oxford super muffs ,they (((will )))fit over the Handguards I used them for two days then took them off. I think they help but air still flows in . Maybe some black Gorilla Duct tape would help. Probably wouldn’t buy Again.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modene View Post
I did install my Oxford super muffs ,they (((will )))fit over the Handguards I used them for two days then took them off. I think they help but air still flows in . Maybe some black Gorilla Duct tape would help. Probably wouldn’t buy Again.
Thanks, Modene. Maybe heated grips are the only complete solution.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
Thanks, Modene. Maybe heated grips are the only complete solution.
And because of how good they are, and how WELL they work, I recommend the KOSO Apollo heated grips.

IMG_2849 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_2850 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

The 'controls' and the ON/OFF are on the left grip, w/ a light that changes color as you select different levels of heat.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
In post #8 of this thread

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...andguards.html

I added lots of pics of a handguard mod I did to my Gen 3.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode