• 1 Post By SteveJ
  • 1 Post By AmbientMoto
  • 2 Post By AmbientMoto

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
GPS mount project for Gen2

I wanted a bar-style GPS mount for my 2012. Not many options to choose from; the only one I saw was upwards of $60 from the 'bay. As I like to tinker, I thought I'd try a different way. A quick measurement showed the distance between the windscreen mounting faces to be roughly 222mm. Checking the specs from a few other GPS bars online, I found the bar for a CB500X was 223mm. Close enough. $20 and a few days later it arrived.

Turns out it is a great fit. I mounted the brackets between the windscreen and the fairing using the existing hardware. It doesn't look 100% OEM but it's pretty close. As an added bonus, the bar hardware uses the same hex size as the fairing hardware... nice.

The most difficult part... those [email protected]#$% well-nuts. I finally figured out the best way to remove them was to push them through and let them fall to the ground, which they did... except for one which managed to lodge itself in the depths of the instrument panel mounting, and one which I still can't find. SO... I had to remove the headlight fairing, which of course is predicated by removal of the plastics. I went ahead and added extra well nuts in the event of future windscreen adjustments/changes.

I made two extra brackets that will go from the upper windscreen attachment point to the bar, giving a solid triangular connection, but the existing screws were not quite long enough due to the added clearance and the non-OEM well nuts I used. I have some black 20mm bolts on the way to replace all 4 existing bolts. As it sits now, the bar is rock-solid without the extra brackets. The brackets will work with either windscreen mounting location.

All said, a great result!

The CB500X GPS bar and brackets. Keys for scale.

Bracket attachment.

Bracket portion visible underneath the windscreen.

Brackets before bar installation.

Final result. The extra brackets I made will attach between the windscreen upper mounting point and the bar, creating even more strength/stability. Probably not needed.

Tools for the job. I love the MotionPro T-handle; it lives with a 10mm socket attached and at the ready. It and the 1/4 driver stay under the seat. Also pictured: the hard-to-find Well Nut Insertion Tool.

Here to learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Looks nice and thanks for sharing! I had been eyeing the GPS mount similar in design to this made by SRC, but like you mention it's expensive. I also had concerns about vibrations because I was thinking the windshield mounts are not really attached to the front frame, but just fastened into plastic up there. Maybe I'm wrong on that - please clarify if you can. Good to know that it's been solid for you.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Leftbrain,

The windshield mounts have a sturdy metal frame underneath the plastic; makes everything quite solid.

Just rode around for about 50 miles or so; mostly backroads but some interstate speeds. Mount was stable; I had my phone mounted and all was well for the duration of the ride.

Here to learn.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 06:54 PM

As someone who doesn't own a moto GPS and is unfamiliar with GPS mounting - what are the advantages for a bar style mount?

Looks great! Seems simple and sturdy.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Saw these posted on FB yesterday. Not bar style. Works with Garmin and Tom Tom GPS. From the UK.

Versys 650
https://iconicparts.uk/shop?olsPage=...nd-phone-mount

Versys 1000
https://iconicparts.uk/shop?olsPage=...navphone-mount

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinkinFlicka View Post
As someone who doesn't own a moto GPS and is unfamiliar with GPS mounting - what are the advantages for a bar style mount?
Just gets it up and out of the way. The electronics are also better protected by the windscreen. Maybe a little tidier with routing cables.

That said, I have mine on a RAM mount which is bolted into the handlebar mount and have no problems. We also don't get much rain either though.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 11:53 PM
jpd

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
It puts the gps in your line of sight front and center, dosn't block any guages

The gen 2 has a different windshield mount and there are fewer shields or mount accessories for them. Great find and install. I will be looking to do the same with my 2013. Got to love the well-nuts.

Jeff

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 09:46 AM

Thanks a lot guys @leftbrain99 & @jpd. Makes sense. When the time comes for me to finally get a dedicated GPS I think I'd like something like that to put it above the gauges.
Seems like it'd be a bit shorter distance for the ol eyeballs to glance down.

@AmbientMoto do you have any photos with your particular GPS mounted? Sorry I'm new here and just figuring out quoting and tagging users.
Wondering if most GPS's come with a hard-wired, lockable mount. I like the Nav VI system like the Beemers use (of course I do $$$).
leftbrain99 likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 11:09 AM

I'm currently using a not so well engineered mount from SWmotech on my gen 3(details following). I have thought about setting up a bar mount using 3/4 pvc pipe between the windshield factory brackets. I'm thinking running a piece of all thread through the middle of the pipe would provide a simple and sturdy mount.

The SWMoteck has plastic mounting pieces that develop play after a while(10-20k miles) and cause whatever is mounted to shake up and down, a lot. I tried shimming with foil and finally just removed all of the plastic pieces and mounted my Ram mount solidly to its base. Not appreciated in a unit that cost US$80.

Also, the bracketry interferes with the mounting system used by my Madstad windshield(which I'm not ever giving up) in that the Motech mount interferes with access to the adjustment nuts on the Madstad.
DinkinFlicka likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Thanks a lot guys @leftbrain99 & @jpd. Makes sense. When the time comes for me to finally get a dedicated GPS I think I'd like something like that to put it above the gauges.
Seems like it'd be a bit shorter distance for the ol eyeballs to glance down.

@AmbientMoto do you have any photos with your particular GPS mounted? Sorry I'm new here and just figuring out quoting and tagging users.
Wondering if most GPS's come with a hard-wired, lockable mount. I like the Nav VI system like the Beemers use (of course I do $$$).
@DinkinFlicka I’ll snap a few when I get back in town. My phone is my GPS right now but I’d like to get another to leave on as a dedicated GPS. That or one of the Fodsports units from the ‘bay. There are so many advantages to the phone as GPS though...

FWIW, the Fodsports unit seems a great option for an inexpensive dedicated GPS. It does have a hardwired mount; don’t know if it’s lockable or not. I guess lockable is a somewhat relative term.
DinkinFlicka likes this.

Here to learn.

Last edited by AmbientMoto; 10-19-2019 at 08:48 AM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbientMoto View Post
@DinkinFlicka Iíll snap a few when I get back in town. My phone is my GPS right now but Iíd like to get another to leave on as a dedicated GPS. That or one of the Fodsports units from the Ďbay. There are so many advantages to the phone as GPS though...

FWIW, the Fodsports unit seems a great option for an inexpensive dedicated GPS. It does have a hardwired mount; donít know if itís lockable or not. I guess lockable is a somewhat relative term.

Thanks a lot for the info! Iíll have to look into the Fodsports as well. Still so weird how expensive the Garmin ones are, especially considering the fact the interface sometimes looks and responds like something from 2008 according to videos Iíve seen.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
@DinkinFlicka here are a few photos as promised. The particular GPS mount in this photo is a cheap eBay mount; it's always served me well, even through a few crashes on a former bike.

The GPS mount.

With iPhone 6+. About time for a new phone.

I didn't think to get an actual side profile; this shows how the phone is oriented with the dash. I'd like it to sit a bit more flush but it functions perfectly as is; different mounts will have different mounting depths of course.
Mattias and DinkinFlicka like this.

Here to learn.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 06:19 PM

Hey wow that looks great! Really appreciate the photos. Iím still on my 6s+ and itís still chugging along perfectly!

Iíve got a RAM handlebar mount for my phone but Iím concerned about the stories Iíve read about the optical image stabilization making the camera inoperable. Thinking I may go the duraforce pro route in the future.

But man this is the location to mount a GPS for sure. Right above the gauges. Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode