Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

DIY soft saddlebag protector/bracket?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  dddd 
#1 ·
I just bought a pair of Moose ADV soft saddlebags and, while they don't rub the rear wheel, I'd still like to have some kind of "support" or guard to keep them out of harms way. I remember seeing on this forum (or maybe another "ADV" forum) where someone used wire hangers (stretched and refigured) or baling wire or something similar ran from the passenger footpeg brackets to the license plate bracket. Can't find that post now, and am curious what others have done. Seems silly to spend $100+ for metal brackets to keep softbags away from the tire. I'm sure there are some ingenious ideas out there.

This will be on a 2011 V 650.

#3 · (Edited)
During the days of my ninja 650 (not that much different), I made bars with aluminum angles and strips.
The angle is for the main length to provide sturdy no-flex support; bent strips were connecting both ends to the license plate and passenger pegs.

Back then I used little bolts to join the 3 parts, but today I would braze with alumiweld of course.
It requires some thinking (take a strip of paper to test) on how to bend the strip at the correct angle to meet the peg/plate flat.
I don't have those anymore, no picture, sorry.

The peg's pin was replaced by a bolt long enough to fit the strip 1/8" thickness and a nyloc nut. If you don't find a metric bolt, you may have to drill the SAE size in the peg's bracket... (ex: 1/4" is larger than 6mm)

In the end, I went for sw motech hard cases, but the racks alone do a great soft-luggage protector (and double as soft crash bars, sort of.) Aluminum will fatigue and eventually crack. I know first hand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.