4Likes
  • 1 Post By leftbrain99
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By daninutero
  • 1 Post By daninutero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Help me solve this storage racks puzzle?

I'm in an odd position. I'll be taking a long-distance ride (first one!) very soon and my 2014 Versys 650 ABS's current setup with just a Givi rear case isn't going to cut it. However, I am out of town for work until a few days before the ride, so I can't go look at the current rack/case in person and I can't wait until I get home to order.

Yikes

So I'm trying to judge from my one picture of the bike what I currently have, and then figure out what I need online.

Last time I posted a picture on the forum, it kind of got crushed by the image processor, so here is a link to a high-quality so you can zoom in: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D5FwWoHV...name=4096x4096

This looks to me like a Givi 451FZ? Like the one they sell here? If so, what should I buy to add side case storage? And what side cases are best?

Or, if it's not the 451FZ, then what is it, and what should I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:15 PM

Garage
You got it right on what you have. If you want to add Givi side cases, you need the PLR450 side case racks:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-650-2010-2014

UNLESS you want specifically the Givi V35 side cases, which require a specialized rack (that hugs closer to the bike than the standard side cases will) - it's the PLXR450 rack in that case:

daninutero likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrain99 View Post
You got it right on what you have. If you want to add Givi side cases, you need the PLR450 side case racks:

UNLESS you want specifically the Givi V35 side cases, which require a specialized rack (that hugs closer to the bike than the standard side cases will) - it's the PLXR450 rack in that case:

The second link , notice to the right the Givi 33 liter Trekker cases
I had the V35 cases and absolutely hated the left side, as that is the kick stand side, open it and everything would try and fall out, plus they are expensive.

Then I got my 2015, went to Twisted Throttle and got a complete package quote, complete with 15% discount, mentioned that my Bike dealer is competing for business.

Not the best picture but the Trekker cases open suitcase style or top opening as in the picture, notice the round knob on the left, to convert to suitcase style the anchor style latch gets moved up in this case.

daninutero likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 05-15-2019 at 11:22 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
The second link , notice to the right the Givi 33 liter Trekker cases
I had the V35 cases and absolutely hated the left side, as that is the kick stand side, open it and everything would try and fall out, plus they are expensive.

Then I got my 2015, went to Twisted Throttle and got a complete package quote, complete with 15% discount, mentioned that my Bike dealer is competing for business.

Not the best picture but the Trekker cases open suitcase style or top opening as in the picture, notice the round knob on the left, to convert to suitcase style the anchor style latch gets moved up in this case.
Great points. I decided early on in my search that side-opening cases are not for me. Like you said, the internal straps can only do so much, and a lot of time your cargo is going to flop out.

I like the ones you posted, but I'm also looking to see if I can get the standard Outbacks (all aluminum boxy-style) to mount. They need a different rack, the "cam" style rack, but I think I just found that on Givi's site for the Versys 2014 so this could work.
onewizard likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So I ended up buying these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Apparently Kappa is owned by the daughter of Givi's owner, and he set her up with the manufacturing capacity in his factories. They're nearly identical, as you can tell if you compare pictures side-by-side. The only difference is that the Kappa cases use the standard PLR racks, while the Givis need the CAM racks. I wasn't sure about the complexity of installing the CAMs with my preexisting PLR top case rack, and I read some Versys experiences that involved having to move and rewire some turn signals, so I'm glad I found the Kappas.

So I bought the Kappas and the standard PLR racks. Will post some pictures and a review when I get them on the bike. Thanks for the help, guys!
onewizard likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 11:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daninutero View Post
I wasn't sure about the complexity of installing the CAMs with my preexisting PLR top case rack, and I read some Versys experiences that involved having to move and rewire some turn signals, so I'm glad I found the Kappas.
I am 99% sure that you will still have to relocate and rewire the turn signals. That is true with any side rack you install - at least any Givi/Kappa or SWMotech side rack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in