Clip-ons / LOL / Cruiser / Versys / Sport Bike - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Clip-ons / LOL / Cruiser / Versys / Sport Bike

Anyone did a clip on conversion on a 2015+ V650, love the look and wanting a sport bike feel. Maybe using woodcraft clip on riser plate would it fit on standard riser.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 05:04 AM

Garage
Interesting, I like the looks on that bike. Not sure how well it would translate to the Versys ergo's. That would provide you a sportier feel that you are craving. Most of us, more mature riders, are trying to raise and pull back the bars. Look at you being all cavalier and thinking 180° in the opposite direction. I will follow this thread and see what direction you decide to follow. Good luck in your search.

It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 05:31 AM

Would love to see how that guy sits on the bike and how hunched over he is.

With the green grips and the "Bat-a-rang" looking Woodcraft that's looking pretty cool!

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 08:09 AM

Garage
Like many here, I bought my V so I could sit upright and ride all day in comfort. I added 2” risers to get the bars even higher for when I’m standing.

If lying on the tank like a squid is the goal, you should have bought a Ninja.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Ya would love to get my hands on a ZX12R. Woodcraft do have 3 in riser clip-ons and would work with my 5.5in forks sticking out. Will do some experimentation and let ya know.

https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/mo...-the-r-1200-rs

Kinda like the 1200RS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Crimson Apple; 03-15-2019 at 11:52 AM.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 01:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16VGTIDave View Post
Like many here, I bought my V so I could sit upright and ride all day in comfort. I added 2” risers to get the bars even higher for when I’m standing.

If lying on the tank like a squid is the goal, you should have bought a Ninja.

Weird statement there 16VGTIDave. You obviously don't know what the acronym SQUID stands for.

I never understood the guys who try and turn the Versys into a cruiser ergonomics. Especially since so many cut down cruisers. I guess you should have bought a Vulcan S.

Some people find riding with a forward lean more comfortable and less stressful on the spine. SS bikes have gotten so aggressive in their ergonomics that clip ons on a standard bike are a good compromise.

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 08:08 AM

Garage
Clip-ons

Feel free to enlighten me (us). In this area, a “squid” is considered to be someone under the age of 30 who rides a sport bike wearing a t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops, and of course the required helmet. It is a derogatory term, implying what they will look like when they crash or “have to lay the bike down to avoid a crash”. I have never bothered to research the term in the past, or even now.

Not sure how you could think I’ve turned my V into a cruiser. I’ve adjusted the ergonomics to fit me and how I ride. If making my bike fit me makes it a cruiser, then I guess I could go to Starbucks and pose other the other cruiser folks. Though a V on M&S rated tires, covered in dead bugs and reflective tape may stand out from the typical cruiser...

EDIT: I just did a quick search for the definition of a squid. It appears that my understanding is correct, though some have also used it as an abbreviation. https://www.motorbikelicense.com/mot...rcycle-riders/

Last edited by 16VGTIDave; 03-16-2019 at 08:33 AM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well when implying "Squid" to sportbikes is still wrong. "Squid/Hooligan" typical person riding or driving reckless without proper equipment. Anyways tested out tank and the side fairing will not make it fit. Also ya why not a Vulcan 650 if you want a pull back upright style, AKA cruiser?
twowheeladdict likes this.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 03:10 PM

Garage
I’m going to emphatically say “NO” to the cruiser line of thinking. And to clipons as well...

quexpress likes this.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I’m going to emphatically say “NO” to the cruiser line of thinking. And to clipons as well....
My response will be slightly different - I'm not after doing EITHER, but I do believe in whatever-floats-your-boat, so "have at"....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 07:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
I’m going to emphatically say “NO” to the cruiser line of thinking. And to clipons as well...

Dave, I am only giving you a hard time because of your posts on the subject of changing the bikes ergonomics. The OP wants a sportier riding position. You prefer a cruiser riding position. Both choices made by both of you. And yes, you have created more of a 'cruiser' ergonomics with the changes you made. Just add some highway pegs and you will be fully there.

Oh snap! You DO have highway pegs! LOL!

And what is with that barn door windscreen? Looking like a road king now.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 07:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
My response will be slightly different - I'm not after doing EITHER, but I do believe in whatever-floats-your-boat, so "have at"....
I went more with a supermoto feel with my Versys 650, but with the flat seat could slide back into touring mode. I kept the forward slant so I would be in position to maneuver the curves.

My Versys Travels:

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Oh my no wonder it's called a Versys a versatile system... Oh my goodness, and yours looks like a street glide.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 11:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I went more with a supermoto feel with my Versys 650, but with the flat seat could slide back into touring mode. I kept the forward slant so I would be in position to maneuver the curves.

Try some Armor-all on your seat. It will help you slide back and forth between race and touring modes. Also, you got 5.5” of fork sticking out? That is apparently the hot ticket for sporty riding.

“Supermoto feel” on a 400+ lb street bike. How cute. Did you also trailer it to your Sunday rides?

Just tossing some back your way... :^p
twowheeladdict likes this.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Try some Armor-all on your seat. It will help you slide back and forth between race and touring modes. Also, you got 5.5” of fork sticking out? That is apparently the hot ticket for sporty riding.

“Supermoto feel” on a 400+ lb street bike. How cute. Did you also trailer it to your Sunday rides?

Just tossing some back your way... :^p
I have 5.5in fork sticking out sure don't know if 2wheeladdict do. Sunday rides, I drag knee everywhere and scrape my pegs.

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 11:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Apple View Post
Oh my no wonder it's called a Versys a versatile system... Oh my goodness, and yours looks like a street glide.

It most certainly is versatile. But a street glide? Really? This coming from the person claiming to have dropped the forks 5.5”.

I’m curious, what is your rake and trail now? Do you know what those are? How to measure them? And why they are important?How close is the engine and exhaust to the ground? What about when the suspension is compressed?

You need to go ride more.

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 11:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Apple View Post
I have 5.5in fork sticking out sure don't know if 2wheeladdict do. Sunday rides, I drag knee everywhere and scrape my pegs.

LOL! That is EXACTLY what I thought you’d say!!! Thanks for the confirmation.

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Your rake and trail measurement does not change no matter how tall or short your tubes are. (ops forgot it changes slight if you don't change the rear) The most effective way to change that you need change the fork pivot point. Your wheelbase does change, the lower the fork tube you lower the shorter the wheel base. My rear tire also effect how it handles because its not same as 160/60/17 (170/60/17 are mine). Also rear is also lowered to match the front, which change the wheelbase to stock. This bike rear shock absorber is sideways not center lower shock design which also change the wheelbase when riding. Would love to ride more in this crappy winter weather. Also let me enlighten your fascination why my is lower so much in the front. Please read this short article to understand the fundamentals of sport bikes, touring bike, and cruisers. Also forgot to say look at why most sport bike have a piston rod on there triple tree. https://www.cycleworld.com/2015/05/2...rake-and-trail https://www.rideapart.com/articles/2...ake-and-trail/ <----- this is also a good read pretty much sum it up, should I dig more for you, more people understand the topic the better.

Last edited by Crimson Apple; 03-18-2019 at 12:09 AM.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 08:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
Try some Armor-all on your seat. It will help you slide back and forth between race and touring modes.
That wouldn't work at all. Then I would be on the tank all the time with the slant in the seat! I had the seat upholstered with grippy material so I wouldn't slide. Man, I wish the Versys was four hundred pounds. I would still own it if it was.

My Versys Travels:

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 10:43 AM

Clip Ons

May need to change the thread title , and move it to Off Topic Discussions
This is what first came to mind on the Thread;
https://www.google.ca/search?q=sun+g...w=1600&bih=786
Buffalo_Bob likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode