Will my crash bars be in the way of maintenance? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By SteveJ
  • 1 Post By dbmccrohan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Will my crash bars be in the way of maintenance?

Hi all,

I have the T-Rex racing engine and luggage guards, and a couple hundred miles on my bike--first service is coming up before long. It occurred to me that the engine guards, as much as I love them, sit awfully close to the fairings... fairings that occasionally need to come off for maintenance. In fact, the bars sit right in front of a couple of bolts, and maaaaay even prevent a hex key from getting in there. Not sure yet--the auto hobby shop doesn't open until the weekends and I'm tool-less while I'm in Oklahoma.

Those of you with a crash guard setup, a couple of questions:

1) Have you ever had to uninstall your guards to get your fairings off?

2) If you take the bike in for a dealer service, do THEY charge extra to take off and reinstall your guards? Or are they better equipped (or willing?) to work around them?

All of a sudden those beautiful, beautiful engine guards are looking a lot less desirable if it means taking them off and on and off and on, and especially if it means paying for an additional hour of labor per job I need done. Not to mention the significant additional wear on the engine bolts! Gulp. Anyone have any insights?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 07:49 PM

I have them on my '15. The side fairings do remove with the bars in place though it is a bit fiddley.

Unknown if a shop will charge extra, I guess it depends. I've checked the valves with them in place, no problemo.

BTW when you do have those side fairings off, remove the metal shoe clip that holds the turn signal on. That will save the fairing if your bike decides to take a dirt nap.
Fastoman, quexpress and C-17 Pilot like this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 08:00 PM

Not only did I remove the bolts and plates holding the turn signals in, while in there I 'glassed the inside of the fairings around them for extra strength. Those darn turn signals definitely stick out too far and touch the ground when you drop the bike (don't ask me how I know) but at least now they just pop out and I can pop them back in again. My most recommended Versys mod!

-dm
C-17 Pilot likes this.

-dm

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Awesome, that's great advice. Thanks for putting my mind at ease, and for saving me the heartache of a still-installed metal shoe clip!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 05:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
crashbars: depends on the model. My hepco beckers are not interfering.
The 2015+ cowlings are coming off front and up.
The valve cover can be removed from the top too (I was told the first time I have valves checked).

Turn signals plates, well, yeah:
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ever-made.html
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I recommend replacing the front turn signals with mini sized LED signals. That way they won't hit the pavement in a tip-over or slide. LEDs are brighter than the stock signals, too. Simple plug-play with a cheap load matching resistor adapter available everywhere.

rg-racing.com has everything you need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
crash bars, engine guards, fairing, removal, t-rex

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode