Rear Hugger Chinese copy - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rear Hugger Chinese copy

Well I took a chance to save some money and bought the EB copy rear hugger for my 2015 Versys. Paid $40 and it arrived in perfect condition and very well made. Actually better than I expected and with real nice bolts. Install was easy but no instructions were included. I also reinstalled the chain guard and it works great. I am pleased.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
link?

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
looks fine, thanks for sharing!

Versys 2015 Green
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 07:48 AM

Getting decent hardware from China is the surprise. May order one; thanks.
otto_versys_blotto likes this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by captpfd View Post
Well I took a chance to save some money and bought the EB copy rear hugger for my 2015 Versys. Paid $40 and it arrived in perfect condition and very well made. Actually better than I expected and with real nice bolts. Install was easy but no instructions were included. I also reinstalled the chain guard and it works great. I am pleased.
That is a great find. I installed what looks to be the same exact hugger on my 2015, unfortunately I paid almost triple what you got yours for.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...me-hug-er.html

I really like the looks of it on the bike. Gives the bike a factory finished look at the rear end. I always thought without a hugger the bike looked kinda unfinished.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 11:47 AM

Garage
Here's a link for a pic of the china hugger I bought and installed. it's a great cheap option that fits perfect. It's the same one that was linked above.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ml#post1574361

2010 Aprilia Shiver 750 "Ruthy"
2018 Kawasaki Versys 650LT ABS "Lucy"
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 02:59 AM

Garage
Just installed mine, it fits great! I think it looks as if istock, Kawa needs to install these from the beginning!

Enviado desde mi Mi A1 mediante Tapatalk
16VGTIDave likes this.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 03:45 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Need to get one , as my old fender-local made has crack in it.

Thanks for the info...great find.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 12:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to NightRider
I bought it and installed it and rode in the rain with it. I must say I'm pretty disappointed with its performance.
My underside gets pretty nasty still, only difference is that the spray can't get all the way in to the rear of the engine.
Everything else still gets dirty, rear shock included. I guess it's better than before but I expected more.

P.S. Whoever plans on doing this on 2017 V or newer (don't know about older models), don't make the mistake of thinking the little plastic thingy that looks like an insert inside the swingarm where the top bolt goes is removable with pliers. It's not, because it's not actually an insert, it's a goddamn plastic bolt that needs to be unscrewed. If you try to pull it out like I did, it will only deform and break and then you'll have to spend 3 hours trying to pry out the rest of the hard plastic stuck inside. I even used gasoline to soften it so I could pull pieces of it out enough for the proper steel bolt to fit in.
What idiot designed a plastic bolt with a cap that makes it look like a common plastic insert...

EDIT
Here are some photos:

Setup Progress ----------- 83%
Add a custom signature

Last edited by NightRider; 10-31-2018 at 12:59 AM.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Night Rider , i am very puzzled as to why your hugger is not serving its intended purpose. I have one that much shorter in length and i don't get that much dirt on my bike....just don't make sense.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRider View Post
I bought it and installed it and rode in the rain with it. I must say I'm pretty disappointed with its performance.
My underside gets pretty nasty still, only difference is that the spray can't get all the way in to the rear of the engine.
Everything else still gets dirty, rear shock included. I guess it's better than before but I expected more.

P.S. Whoever plans on doing this on 2017 V or newer (don't know about older models), don't make the mistake of thinking the little plastic thingy that looks like an insert inside the swingarm where the top bolt goes is removable with pliers. It's not, because it's not actually an insert, it's a goddamn plastic bolt that needs to be unscrewed. If you try to pull it out like I did, it will only deform and break and then you'll have to spend 3 hours trying to pry out the rest of the hard plastic stuck inside. I even used gasoline to soften it so I could pull pieces of it out enough for the proper steel bolt to fit in.
What idiot designed a plastic bolt with a cap that makes it look like a common plastic insert...

EDIT
Here are some photos:
To me that looks like what to expect from riding on a road that had stone dust used, which helps to harden up a gravel road just before paving, also used if you plan on paving your driveway. I have a Skidmarx hugger, and I have had my bike looking the same way, after riding less than 1 KM on this type of road, in the rain. Best way to describe it is watching someone use a diamond saw to cut concrete with water, that creamy slurry sticks to everything.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 02:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Night Rider , i am very puzzled as to why your hugger is not serving its intended purpose. I have one that much shorter in length and i don't get that much dirt on my bike....just don't make sense.
That makes two of us. Funny thing is I worked on installing the damn thing late into the night hoping tomorrow when I go to work in the rain it will finally save me the trouble of having to wash the bike the day after. Imagine my surprise...

The spray literally bounces off the top of the underside, onto the hugger and then back again to the ABS pump and rear shock. Even Stephen Hawking couldn't figure out the laws of physics at work in there when it rains. Or I'm just riding too fast...

There is at least some benefit like I mentioned, and that's the rear side of the engine being protected from dirt. Overall though, the protection is marginal at best. Maybe that's why Kawasaki didn't bother putting a stock hugger on.

Add a custom signature
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 03:09 PM

NightRider, how do you "unscrew" that bolt/insert since it has no edges?

Jay™
2016 Versys 1000
2016 Versys 650
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 05:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCruizer View Post
NightRider, how do you "unscrew" that bolt/insert since it has no edges?
It probably has a notch under the cap, I assume. It has to have something because it IS a bolt, that I'm sure of.
It simply didn't even occur to me that it could be a bolt made of plastic and screwed in to make it look like an insert, I mean who the hell does that...

Add a custom signature
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRider View Post
It probably has a notch under the cap, I assume. It has to have something because it IS a bolt, that I'm sure of.
It simply didn't even occur to me that it could be a bolt made of plastic and screwed in to make it look like an insert, I mean who the hell does that...
Decided to check out my bike, as my hugger came in today and need to figure out how I am going to mount it. I looked up the parts fiche for the bike...Seems that kawasaki calls it a "rivet"...to me that implies that it does not have threads...hmmmm...
Any chance that is just super tight and not threaded? Wish they showed a close up of the "rivet". I have no clue how you would be able to unscrew this thing being that the head is super smooth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture1.JPG (38.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Capture2.jpg (5.4 KB, 26 views)

Jay™
2016 Versys 1000
2016 Versys 650
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 06:11 AM

Rivet

Cut a slot in the top and back it out with a screwdriver. Might work, depends how tight the fit is. It appears to be a cosmetic piece to plug the unused hole.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedycoop View Post
Cut a slot in the top and back it out with a screwdriver. Might work, depends how tight the fit is. It appears to be a cosmetic piece to plug the unused hole.
That was my 1st thought, until i really noticed how thin the head is on that thing. I think if I tried to cut a groove in it deep enough for a slotted screw driver, it would split in two.

Jay™
2016 Versys 1000
2016 Versys 650
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
That was my 1st thought, until i really noticed how thin the head is on that thing. I think if I tried to cut a groove in it deep enough for a slotted screw driver, it would split in two.
Had a look at my bike, which has a skidmarx hugger on it, found my bag of parts removed, brake hose mounting bracket, screws, chain guard , no plastic screw. I don't remember what happened to it, however, assume 99% of all threads are standard left hand, ( mirror and shifter linkage the exception), use a blunt slot screw driver, at a 30' angle tap the head in a CCW direction, what we are trying to accomplish is similar to the orange area , by driving CCW with the slot screw driver , blade at right angles to the head, you are using all the plastic, if I recall , although it is really a distant memory, a 1/4 turn and I used my fingers to extract it,the rest of the way,then threw it away.

Last edited by onewizard; 11-01-2018 at 10:15 AM.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 02:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Decided to check out my bike, as my hugger came in today and need to figure out how I am going to mount it. I looked up the parts fiche for the bike...Seems that kawasaki calls it a "rivet"...to me that implies that it does not have threads...hmmmm...
Any chance that is just super tight and not threaded? Wish they showed a close up of the "rivet". I have no clue how you would be able to unscrew this thing being that the head is super smooth.
No chance. It's tight AND threaded AND screwed all the way in. Trust me, I've done the hard part of pulling pieces of it out and if it were just a plastic rivet/insert, it would've popped out. I almost damaged the swingarm thread in the process because I used a pointy tool from a precision tool set just to be able to pry as much of it out as possible (because it's super hard plastic). It's a plastic bolt alright, with a normal thread, just figure out how to unscrew it or you're in for a few hours of headache tying to make room for the steel bolt to go in.

P.S. Try cutting in a very small cross on top and using a Phillips screwdriver, you'll have more leverage with less room.

Add a custom signature

Last edited by NightRider; 11-02-2018 at 01:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode