Non modification LED Bulb upgrade? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Welcome, Mark Arnold. Visited 10-10-2019 at 09:51 PM Your Notifications 3 Subscriptions
 10Likes
  • 1 Post By 16VGTIDave
  • 1 Post By Kyle E
  • 1 Post By jaaklucas
  • 1 Post By tomica28
  • 1 Post By Kyle E
  • 2 Post By 16VGTIDave
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By _Big_Mac_
  • 1 Post By JimShortz

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Kyle E

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Non modification LED Bulb upgrade?

I know to put a LED in the first and second gen V requires modifying the mounting and wiring. I haven't read any threads about it, just took mine apart to look and see how it would all go together. Doesn't look like all that big of a deal, and think it would be worth the time in the long run.

But just happened to run across this today. Looks like it would be a drop in no mod "upgrade". Im always weary of these cheap LED's output, and know not to expect much going in. But for $10 I think Ill roll the dice and see what I get.

Anyone happen to have tried these? If not, ill grab it and report back once it arrives.

https://www.gearbest.com/car-lights/pp_1340112.html
Kyle E is offline Report Post  
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 08:35 AM
16VGTIDave

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Without more than a split second of consideration, I'm positive that those bulbs are absolute garbage. You would be better served by keeping the stock bulbs and spending your $ on dark sunglasses for your night a riding.

Yeah, they are that bad. But feel free to find out for yourself.
Kyle E likes this.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
16VGTIDave is offline Report Post  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Kyle E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16VGTIDave View Post
You would be better served by keeping the stock bulbs and spending your $ on dark sunglasses for your night a riding.
I could change my name to Corey Hart.
About what I figured, but thought I'd ask if anyone had given it a whirl.
Craigar likes this.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 11:30 AM
jaaklucas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Kinda low lumen output,not very bright I think,guess thats why they dont have a heat sink.The color looks good,6000.
Kyle E likes this.
jaaklucas is offline Report Post  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 09:45 PM
Brockie

Garage
LED's are great (I have them) but remember that your OEM bulb light comes from the filament, i.e. a specific place related to the headlight reflector. Without an internal shroud this large LED surface would result in considerable light scatter.

LED's will give you a great spread of light with no shadows or splotchy areas, although the depth of the beam on mine is no greater, but this may have changed as the technology goes up in leaps and bounds. Unlike an incandescent bulb they do not dim with age.

Can I recommend you try something like these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/H7-LED-Head....c100005.m1851
Or even these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OSLAMP-H7-1....c100005.m1851

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
Brockie is offline Report Post  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 01:46 AM
tomica28

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
LED's are great (I have them) but remember that your OEM bulb light comes from the filament, i.e. a specific place related to the headlight reflector. Without an internal shroud this large LED surface would result in considerable light scatter.

LED's will give you a great spread of light with no shadows or splotchy areas, although the depth of the beam on mine is no greater, but this may have changed as the technology goes up in leaps and bounds. Unlike an incandescent bulb they do not dim with age.

Can I recommend you try something like these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/H7-LED-Head....c100005.m1851
Or even these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OSLAMP-H7-1....c100005.m1851
+1 for Ironwalls, I am very satisfied with them, they require little modification due to heat sink but it is not big deal. Here is video:
Brockie likes this.

Kawasaki Versys 650
tomica28 is offline Report Post  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 05:47 AM
dddd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaklucas View Post
Kinda low lumen output,not very bright I think,guess thats why they dont have a heat sink.The color looks good,6000.
regulations in us and canada says max lumen output is around 1600 lumens.
h7 bulbs halogen do at best probably that (sylverstar ultra II).

if these do 2200 lumens, these are absolutely not low output and not legal.
chances are they do 1100 x 2 bulbs, given the usual thieves out there.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Kyle E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
Good point, didn't consider that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomica28 View Post
+1 for Ironwalls, I am very satisfied with them, they require little modification due to heat sink but it is not big deal. [/url]
Yeah I had to replace my high beam when I bought the bike, and looked at what it would take to mount it. Just make a small spacer so the bulb would be held tight, the boot looked big enough to just tuck everything in it and run some electrical tape to plug up the hole (Im in the desert no rain worries) Not that big of a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
Yeah thats generally the way the quote it 1100 x2 bulbs. And even then I'd still doubt the published number by alot.
tomica28 likes this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 08:17 AM
16VGTIDave

Garage
Quote:
regulations in us and canada says max lumen output is around 1600 lumens.

h7 bulbs halogen do at best probably that (sylverstar ultra II).

if these do 2200 lumens, these are absolutely not low output and not legal.

Yeah, the regulations that were out of date before they were published, how many decades ago? That contain enough vague references to be of little actual value? That have ridiculous requirements that actually make driving at night more dangerous for all motorists. Yes, those are the regulations to be spewing forth...

I wasn't aware that lumens had been added to the DOT or CMVSS regulations, not that I care to follow such things. Or was that statement an interpolation of other specifications like candle power or wattage?

How about some helpful discussion? Such as discussing beam pattern, and how the bulb effects it? The pros and cons of different colour temperatures? Or power requirements vs. stock wiring and switches? Or heat output? Or the production of UV light? Or expected lifespan, such as lasting tens of thousands of hours as compared to a couple hundred hours or less?

For what it is worth, based on information provided by a lighting engineer in another forum, there are LED bulbs which meet all DOT requirements, except for one, power consumption. They don't consume enough power to meet the out of date spec. And they are a tested ~5000 lumens output per bulb...
onewizard and Kyle E like this.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 04:54 PM
dddd

Quote:
Yeah, the regulations that were out of date before they were published, how many decades ago? That contain enough vague references to be of little actual value? That have ridiculous requirements that actually make driving at night more dangerous for all motorists. Yes, those are the regulations to be spewing forth...

I wasn't aware that lumens had been added to the DOT or CMVSS regulations, not that I care to follow such things. Or was that statement an interpolation of other specifications like candle power or wattage?

How about some helpful discussion? Such as discussing beam pattern, and how the bulb effects it? The pros and cons of different colour temperatures? Or power requirements vs. stock wiring and switches? Or heat output? Or the production of UV light? Or expected lifespan, such as lasting tens of thousands of hours as compared to a couple hundred hours or less?

For what it is worth, based on information provided by a lighting engineer in another forum, there are LED bulbs which meet all DOT requirements, except for one, power consumption. They don't consume enough power to meet the out of date spec. And they are a tested ~5000 lumens output per bulb...
(Euh, at the moment you sound like the guy I don't want to have a "discussion" with... lol... perhaps you ere referring to discussing with those making regulations...but if you just want to start a fight, go on advrider... I just want to say no to anyone who think they need more lighting. That's the end message.)

If you buy and use some ordinary sylverstar ultra or ultra 2, or any other brand about 1600 lumens, you will have plenty of white-enough light. Trust me on that. I've done many hours on unlit roads and it's enough. Of course a led equivalent would be welcomed if it lasts longer. But it may burn the shunt regulator, if I understand how the charging circuitry works from the other threads of this forums. Having wattage out the headlight is part of the bike electric design.

Any more lumens and that tells every one that one is hunting for more lighting because one might not understand that one is blinded by one's own light and/or one annoys every one coming the other way or the same way on on'e one way. Prosaic fun.

Oh well, anyhow, in the case here, I'm not surprised regulations don't change because physics don't change (Humans eyes). I'll give you the wattage glitch sure, but lumens, nah.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 08:40 AM
16VGTIDave

Garage
Quote:
(Euh, at the moment you sound like the guy I don't want to have a "discussion" with... lol... perhaps you ere referring to discussing with those making regulations...but if you just want to start a fight, go on advrider... I just want to say no to anyone who think they need more lighting. That's the end message.)

If you buy and use some ordinary sylverstar ultra or ultra 2, or any other brand about 1600 lumens, you will have plenty of white-enough light. Trust me on that. I've done many hours on unlit roads and it's enough. Of course a led equivalent would be welcomed if it lasts longer. But it may burn the shunt regulator, if I understand how the charging circuitry works from the other threads of this forums. Having wattage out the headlight is part of the bike electric design.

Any more lumens and that tells every one that one is hunting for more lighting because one might not understand that one is blinded by one's own light and/or one annoys every one coming the other way or the same way on on'e one way. Prosaic fun.

Oh well, anyhow, in the case here, I'm not surprised regulations don't change because physics don't change (Humans eyes). I'll give you the wattage glitch sure, but lumens, nah.

Not interested in a fight, but I despise disinformation. If you actually believe the nonsense you are repeating here, there is no need for further discussion.

That said, the information you are posting is out of date and inaccurate, and needs to be qualified as such so that other readers will ignore it and continue their search for valuable, factual information.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 06:44 PM
dddd

Quote:
and inaccurate, and needs to be qualified as such so that other readers will ignore it and continue their search for valuable, factual information.
And yet you don't provide your own sources. I thinks exactly the same of your information.

All I had to do to know what it takes is use a regular h7 bulb at night and google up the lumen output of a halogen H7 bulb. Everybody is capable of judging by themselves instead of being misguided push to buy blinding bulbs.

The point is DO NOT BUY higher intensity bulbs and stick with the regular intensity (led or halogen) so they remain considerate towards other drivers.

It doesn't require science, nor a law, nor a to-the-very-last-minute up-to-date document...
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 09:16 PM
onewizard
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Legal & Safe/ Not the same All the Time

Quote:

Notice the Title, this discussion came up a long time ago on this forum.https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...14-post20.html Original equiment is 1500 lumen 55 watt incandescent bulb rated 55 watts @ 12 volt, at 14.2VDC it is not 55 Watt!! ,( Many of us converted to Osram Super Bright Off-Road PX26D 65 Watt ( I still have some new ones and after Market available to sell ) No longer made, I have discussed this before and will only say that the 65 watt is 2100 lumens.
Several of us got concerned as to legal aspects,I have access to OPP officers ( Ontario Provincial Police), something that in my profession we get to work with , the question asked was about the offroad lamps being used on the highway, the answer from 3 officers was that provided the lights are aimed correctly , their concern is that using the offroad lamps gives you a better view of the road to see Deer or Moose, your safety is of greater importance than any laws,we were also told that unless you purposely fail to dim your lights in oncoming traffic or are purposely trying to blind someone, no need to worry about being pulled over. Responding to a motorcycle fatality because someone didn't see something , isn't something the OPP look forward to responding to. I have been running the Osram 65 watt in high beam since 2008, now in my 2015.

What you are hearing from Dave is accurate, it is a outdated law ,

Quote:

Quote:
And yet you don't provide your own sources. I thinks exactly the same of your information.

All I had to do to know what it takes is use a regular h7 bulb at night and google up the lumen output of a halogen H7 bulb. Everybody is capable of judging by themselves instead of being misguided push to buy blinding bulbs.

The point is DO NOT BUY higher intensity bulbs and stick with the regular intensity (led or halogen) so they remain considerate towards other drivers.

It doesn't require science, nor a law, nor a to-the-very-last-minute up-to-date document...
In regards to what Dave is leaning to, typing misinformation= < than =0, your discussion about a shunt regulator, well read https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...hunt+regulator

You mention night driving and good visibility with 1600 lumen, possibly you have great night vision, I can say I am glad I have the Osram 65W in high beam plus the Denali D2 , saved my ass ( originally over 110 KM/HR, brought it down to almost a standstill, front/ rear braking and engine braking less than 7 seconds), 5 Deer on a side road, 15 feet to the right of the main road, picked up by my Denali + high beam, enough time to drop speed and plan for emergency braking.
I also stated that anyone with a 2015 650ABS , if you are converting to a LED headlight, do so only to reduce wattage, as the reflector is such that indeed you will blind someone using a LED conversion, the one I installed is in one of Dave's posts, which can be rotated, it can be aimed so that if you are delivering Pizza you will have no problem reading the house numbers, also don't be surprised if you see a 747 on final approach towards you, if it is farther down the road or increased road view.

Denali High beam

Denali Low Beam

Denali high beam and low beam 3000 Lumen LED aircraft landing light--Reflector not suited unless a MK-1 or MK-2, both far superior to the MK-3 reflector
Kyle E likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 09-18-2018 at 09:21 PM.
onewizard is offline Report Post  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 04:23 AM
JimShortz

I got these off ebay - super happy with them. No brighter than originals, but nice white light and fit in well with my LED additional lights. Only $24 for a pair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	161051  
JimShortz is offline Report Post  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 07:40 AM
16VGTIDave

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShortz View Post
I got these off ebay - super happy with them. No brighter than originals, but nice white light and fit in well with my LED additional lights. Only $24 for a pair.

Have you checked the beam pattern with those bulbs? I’d imagine it is terrible, just looking at the design of those bulbs. Please consider using those bulbs in your lawn tractor (or smashing them) and buying something better for use on the road.

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 11:47 AM
_Big_Mac_

In the EU it's illegal to change a light source in a headlight to anything different than what it was certificated with. A lamp that left the factory with a halogen bulb must keep using halogen bulbs. If you want LEDs or HIDs, you need to replace the whole headlight assembly with one that was designed for that light source.

I think that makes sense.

Many people don't appreciate how intricate and precise the design of a reflector is, and how small the tolerances for filament placement are. A Chinese LED bulb replacement won't produce the same pattern. I'm with 16VGTIDave and onewizard on this one. Use a high performance halogen if you want, but don't put those LEDs there.

Personally, if I were riding through dark, unlit forests often, I'd invest in strong AUX lights. The prison-searchlight kind, the brighter the better. But I'd keep them off when riding on roads with traffic or through built-up areas. I'd keep my headlights stock, with legal halogen bulbs of high quality and learn to live with their non-ideal performance.
onewizard likes this.

2015 Versys 650
_Big_Mac_ is offline Report Post  
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 12:14 PM
onewizard
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Mk-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShortz View Post
Not everyone checks what model you have ( 2011), as stated by me, 2015 on, unless you have auxiliary lighting like the Denali and only wish to reduce the amp draw on your stator, install only the low beam with the LED as posted by Dave and myself. And like I said, if you deliver pizza on your motorcycle you will be able to see the house addresses as clear as day, just don't expect to see the road any better.
onewizard is offline Report Post  
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 03:40 PM
JimShortz

Quote:
Have you checked the beam pattern with those bulbs? I’d imagine it is terrible, just looking at the design of those bulbs. Please consider using those bulbs in your lawn tractor (or smashing them) and buying something better for use on the road.
Yes, very happy with the beam pattern on my 2011 - absolutely does not dazzle oncoming traffic and gives a clear view of the road. I also have focused auxiliary lighting, so see very well and am seen very well (without dazzling anyone). Very happy with the outcome. No need to smash them, and don't have a lawn tractor - too busy enjoying my bike to waste time mowing ornamental grass... 😁

I'm guessing that this won't work on the 2015 model. My last bike was aZ300 with a side by side light design much like the newer Versys, and this style of LED just scattered everywhere in that housing and was completely unuseable (I was forced just use halogen nightbreakers instead). I really don't like that one light on, with the other one off design. I wish Kawasaki would make both work, with a twin filament bulb. It just looks like a bulb is out, and the reflectors are not LED friendly either!
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by JimShortz; 02-18-2019 at 03:47 PM.
JimShortz is offline Report Post  

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode