• 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 2 Post By Lours_Polaire
  • 1 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Conversion to F2 LED - HELP!

I'm trying to convert to these bulbs I bought. I'm flummoxed, at that point where I wish I hadn't bothered.

It may be that their too small diameter at the base, since it seems to go in to far and wind up at an angle.

I might be able to get that to work if I could get the retaining wire to clip into place, but, there's not much of a lip for it to hold onto, and, much worse....

I cannot, cannot, cannot get the retaining wire to work with this thing. I've bent it all over the place - it's an absolute no-go.

Can anyone who's done this give some advice? Please????

It's hard to get to where it is, and I've already taken off a lot of stuff.

(Brighter bulbs are a necessity - I ride on deer-infested back roads. I put a new headlight on my classic Beemer and it saved me from a crash when I ... just... barely glimpsed an animal ahead. Full braking and I was about a foot from a panicked fawn when I stopped.

The ccontrast between working on the Versys and the old Beemer is stark: the Beemer welcomed me and my tools like a happy dog; the Versys is more like a feral cat. Even just trying to get at stuff can be a chore. And half.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F2.jpg (26.9 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by KipPrdy; 08-11-2018 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Add info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 07:45 AM

Return them all they do is blind people and reduce your vision. Don’t believe the marketing. “Diacover” the facts. Go back to Halogen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 535EEA10-D234-4A0E-A2D6-C2985CD62FB8_1533991480382.jpg (14.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg D76ED492-EE14-4D3F-9289-B4ACC59A4C1F_1533991502914.jpg (7.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg E27F61A6-C77D-4D43-A8D0-768AA03386C9_1533991517712.jpg (6.8 KB, 31 views)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Maybe you should add some "driving lights". Here's my '15 w/ DENALI DMs, but I can't show you the beam pattern. [I mostly use them so that 'cages' see me!]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0665.JPG (263.8 KB, 35 views)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
@KipPrdy, ignore the less than helpful replies from those with no experience with these bulbs.

There is a removable mounting base on each bulb. The part that has the alignment tabs on it. It pulls off towards the emitters (away from the fan). This gets installed into the headlight first, and is retained by the wire clip. Then the rubber dust boot is installed (with a hole cut into the centre for the bulb to pass through), he bulb is then installed by pushing it through the dust boot and into the mounting base.

I found that having the bulb vertical produced the best beam pattern on my gen2 V650. You may need to experiment with the rotation of the bulb in your headlights. The headlight aim shouldn't be changed by these bulbs, though you may want to fine tune it now that you will actually have some light to work with.

Hope this helps!

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 08:47 AM

I don’t need experience I’ve seen the photos. Retrofit your lights or stick to Halogen.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 09:25 AM

Why do I here Archie telling Edith to "dummy up" in the back of my head??
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16VGTIDave View Post
@KipPrdy, ignore the less than helpful replies from those with no experience with these bulbs.

There is a removable mounting base on each bulb. The part that has the alignment tabs on it. It pulls off towards the emitters (away from the fan). This gets installed into the headlight first, and is retained by the wire clip. Then the rubber dust boot is installed (with a hole cut into the centre for the bulb to pass through), he bulb is then installed by pushing it through the dust boot and into the mounting base.

I found that having the bulb vertical produced the best beam pattern on my gen2 V650. You may need to experiment with the rotation of the bulb in your headlights. The headlight aim shouldn't be changed by these bulbs, though you may want to fine tune it now that you will actually have some light to work with.

Hope this helps!
One word , and I don't want to sidetrack this thread, if you have a MK-3 like I have, if you plan on installing a led headlight bulb to reduce load, do so on low beam only. I upgraded from a 2400 lumen LED to what is stated as a 6000 lumen, my opinion is it is 3000 lumen , doing the math and efficiency plus current comparing to my 2400 lumen , = 3500. Spend your money on auxiliary lighting if it is light output you are after , I have the Denali D2 10 watt (DENALI 2.0 D2 TriOptic LED Light Kit with DataDim Technology).
The reflector lenses on the 650 MK-3 just don't work very well , you can either have a good light pattern for planes to land by, or a really good light pattern if you are the pizza delivery guy and want to be able to see the house addresses , if it is your intention to see more of the road you are traveling, well not the best.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...?highlight=led

The grey one in post 80 and 90 to 92 is what I removed, and yes the spring clip needed modifying ( good close up photos of clip, FYI you cannot buy the clip separately, so be cautious and was provided for by IAMRA https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...?highlight=led

Last edited by onewizard; 08-12-2018 at 04:59 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 11:25 AM

Garage
And another person gets confused by the deceptive marketing language / poor translation from Chinese. For some reason, sellers are advertising wattage PER bulb, and TOTAL lumens output for BOTH bulbs when sold in pairs. I don't know how one wouldn't be confused by this. I was confused by this marketing BS as well. After thinking it through I realized that a sustained 6000 lumens from 2 emitters that are virtually touching, and located a couple cm from the heatsink, would be thermally improbably. Then I read the fine print and figured out what was going on. Others have tested these bulbs, and if I recall correctly, they are actually producing around 5000 lumens per bulb.

Many headlights are poorly designed. Typically because the lighting engineers were told to make a headlight that the stylists thought looked good. The gen2 V650 headlight seems to have been designed by engineers. It may not look pretty, but it works very well. And that isn't just my biased personal opinion, others have complemented the function of this headlight. Though few have liked the appearance of the headlight.
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by 16VGTIDave; 08-12-2018 at 11:31 AM. Reason: corrected numbers
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 11:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer View Post
I donít need experience Iíve seen the photos. Retrofit your lights or stick to Halogen.
I think you should go back and read the information posted along with the photos you are quoting. None of the photos are of Versys headlights. Many of the beam shots include examples of the beam pattern produced by Halogen bulbs and other (crap) LED bulbs. Oh, it would be rude of me to not mention that the information regarding these bulbs is being provided by a lighting engineer who is conversant in the DOT specifications for headlights.

And finally, none of this off topic discussion is helpful to the OP.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
...The gen2 V650 headlight seems to have been designed by engineers. It may not look pretty, but it works very well. And that isn't just my biased personal opinion, others have complemented the function of this headlight. Though few have liked the appearance of the headlight.
I would have to add that the Gen1 headlights (IMHO!!!) are TOO!

I spent some number of hours (years ago) getting my headlights PROPERLY aligned on my '08 and '09, and more recently, on my '15. There is NO comparison!

I try to avoid traveling after dark, but at least, on my Gen 1 I can ACTUALLY see a LONG way down the road, as well as both ditches. -

The Gen 3? NOT so much.... - -
MarvinDMartian42 likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
One word , and I don't want to sidetrack this thread, I upgraded from a 2400 lumen LED to what is stated as a 6000 lumen, my opinion is it is 3000 lumen , doing the math and efficiency plus current comparing to my 2400 lumen , = 3500. Spend your money on auxiliary lighting if it is light output you are after , I have the Denali D2 10 watt (DENALI 2.0 D2 TriOptic LED Light Kit with DataDim Technology).

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...?highlight=led

The grey one in post 80 and 90 to 92 is what I removed, and yes the spring clip needed modifying ( good close up photos of clip, FYI you cannot buy the clip separately, so be cautious and was provided for by IAMRA https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...?highlight=led
So I included Photos Below

Quote:
And another person gets confused by the deceptive marketing language / poor translation from Chinese. For some reason, sellers are advertising wattage PER bulb, and TOTAL lumens output for BOTH bulbs when sold in pairs. I don't know how one wouldn't be confused by this. I was confused by this marketing BS as well. After thinking it through I realized that a sustained 6000 lumens from 2 emitters that are virtually touching, and located a couple cm from the heatsink, would be thermally improbably. Then I read the fine print and figured out what was going on. Others have tested these bulbs, and if I recall correctly, they are actually producing around 5000 lumens per bulb.

Many headlights are poorly designed. Typically because the lighting engineers were told to make a headlight that the stylists thought looked good. The gen2 V650 headlight seems to have been designed by engineers. It may not look pretty, but it works very well. And that isn't just my biased personal opinion, others have complemented the function of this headlight. Though few have liked the appearance of the headlight.
Going by the specs on the box it states 36 W , which is 36 Watts, I measured a current of 2.25 amp DC at 16 VDC, that is from a filtered power supply / charger I have= 36 watts on a single LED So how they can state 36 watts for a single LED and yet post a combined Lumen for 2 on the same specs is beyond me. Makes me want to go out and buy a lux meter.
Specs on the side of the box, colour of 6500K , 36W / 6000 Lumen???

Note under the Safego it shows again 36W/6000 LM

This photo is for the OP of this thread, showing the multiple positions of the mounting.

Same as above but ring removed and the connector that matches the Kawasaki H7 lamp socket
16VGTIDave likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 08-12-2018 at 06:03 PM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I would have to add that the Gen1 headlights (IMHO!!!) are TOO!

I spent some number of hours (years ago) getting my headlights PROPERLY aligned on my '08 and '09, and more recently, on my '15. There is NO comparison!

I try to avoid traveling after dark, but at least, on my Gen 1 I can ACTUALLY see a LONG way down the road, as well as both ditches. -

The Gen 3? NOT so much.... - -
I can't compare to another V, but on my 1st gen 2009, I found that the beam pattern was very "enlighting"
Compare to car's I've owned and to my KLR, my V has great/best pattern I've had and I feel secure on the road at night

LOP
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

MK-1 & MK-2 / Not So Much MK-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
I can't compare to another V, but on my 1st gen 2009, I found that the beam pattern was very "enlighting"
Compare to car's I've owned and to my KLR, my V has great/best pattern I've had and I feel secure on the road at night

LOP
Yes I think Kawasaki decided to use the ninja headlight and adapt to the Versys. Having owned a MK-1 I can say the headlight is way better than the MK-3. So my only reason to update was the fact any money, time and effort spent on a MK-3 headlight unless the sole purpose is to reduce low beam load and you plan on adding LED specific aux. lighting like my Denali, if the answer is yes, fine, if your intent is to improve low beam lighting, save your time / effort and / $$$, you will be disappointed . As for high beam and the F2 LED, that is correct don't even think about it.
This forum is about sharing, there you go.
Lours_Polaire likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode