Stock 2015 Versys Seat is horrible - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Stock 2015 Versys Seat is horrible

I can't take the stock seat on my 2015 Versys 650. I've tried pads and those bead things on top of the seat which made it marginally better. I previously ordered the thin Sargent seat but returned it as it did not stop the problem of sliding forward towards the gas tank and the related seating discomfort. That made me hesitant in ordering the full thickness Sargent. I looked at the Corbin seat and visually it looks like it absolutely corrects the stock seat issue of the seat slopping downward towards the gas tank but its hard to find any reviews for 2015 or later Versys owners commenting on this seat vs stock or anything else. Also, on the Corbin website they include the 2015 Versys with 2008-2014 models. I called my local Kawasaki dealership and they confirmed that the Versys 2015 seat part number is not the same as 2014 and earlier but is the same as 2016 and later Versys. So if I order from Corbin I need to order the 2016 model. I looked at several companies that will modify your seat with new foam and or gel and a new cover but it seems by the time all the issues are addressed you are around or even above the cost of replacements seats. I have a Seat Concepts seat on my Yamaha WR250X and it is more comfortable than my stock Versys seat but I'm not sure it would solve the sliding forward issue on my Versys with more re-shaping. For the way I ride I definitely don't want a seat that is so widened that is more the shape of a large touring bike. A typical weekend ride for me is all day with some stops but several hours in the saddle in between stops, 200-300+ miles of as much of it on mountain roads both dirt and pavement as possible. Looking for comments in general and specifically if anyone out there has a 2015 or newer Versys with a Corbin seat. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stock seat.jpg (15.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Corbin1.jpg (17.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Corbin2.jpg (18.1 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Sargent1.jpg (11.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DaveVersys.jpg (88.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg DaveVersys2.jpg (86.1 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DaveVersys3.jpg (85.9 KB, 32 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 07:05 AM

Garage
If you want to sit in the cruiser riding position, get a corbin, add risers, and lower the pegs. Don't forget to add highway pegs too.

If you want a custom seat at a reasonable price, check out Terry's Custom Seats.

https://www.terryscustomseats.com/

He can do a nice bucket for you or create something unique.

I had him build me a flat seat because I hated the hump and never carried a passenger. When I slide forward, I am knees down ready to take on the curves. When I slide back, I am ready to eat some miles in comfort. I put 25,000 miles on this seat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Versys 006.jpg (163.0 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Versys 005.jpg (113.3 KB, 50 views)

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 07:15 AM

Recently put on a Terry Custom seat and I love it. Took care of the sliding forward problem for me and reduced the pain across the upper shoulders I use to get with the stock seat.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Pipertom likes this.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

I looked at those seats and they look super comfortable. I don't want to compromise being able to move side to side on curvy roads otherwise I'd be seriously considering that style seat. I have up and back risers to get my bars positioned for more upright riding. I don't want to lower my pegs any as I don't want to be scraping them on tight curves. Thanks for your comments and pics, greatly appreciated
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 09:58 AM

The standard Sargent cured the forward slide for me. The seat is flat and a bit wider. At the nose it is the same width, so at a stoplight my reach to the ground is not affected. He uses a new seat pan of his design. Idk if the lowered seat uses the same pan or not, but in any case I would not describe my seat as having any forward slope to it.

Bar risers greatly reduced leaning weight onto my hands, unrelated to the issue of seat comfort but still a worthwhile improvement in comfort.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 10:51 AM

Im 5 foot 8 inches,got the lowering kit with bar risers.Then the sargent low seat.No more forward slide.But the best add on was highway pegs for long day rides.Get some variety in your position,like stopping for a break!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 01:28 PM

Garage
I went through 7 seats on my Versys 650 and the Corbin was the worst. The last 2 i bought were a Seat Concepts Seat a member sold on the forum here and a Terry Adcock Flat Seat ( www.terryscustomseat.com ) For the price they were the best choice for me. Also if they would have been more expensive they would have been worth it. I just ordered a Flat Seat for my Versys 1000 from Terry last month and should have it sometime this month

Terry's Flat Seat for Versys 650.....

IMG_1493 by weljo2001, on Flickr
quexpress and Pipertom like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 08-02-2018 at 01:30 PM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 01:38 PM

The Seat Concepts seat fixed the sliding forward issue for me. I also have a SC seat on a WR250R, and like it on that bike, but went with 1 step softer foam on the Versys and find it is much more comfortable than the WR. I do a lot of 2-300 miles days and for the price I have zero complaints.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 02:35 PM

A rider's height and weight would be important factors on which seat feels good or bad.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 02:52 PM

Garage
Seat Concepts and front riser

The factory seat is bad. For most butts anyway.
For the price, I don’t think there is currently any seat that works better than the Seat Concepts re-cover. It does push the ‘pocket’ back a bit making the reach to the bars a bit farther. Easily fixed with risers. I also 3D printed a riser for the front of the seat. The bike is easily comfortable enough to drain the tank before I need to get off. This is all I needed.
Another 2 cents.
Cheers!
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

a raised seat...

FWIW - I have ridden my THREE V650s about 156,000 miles, w/ the ONLY seat mod - the RAISED front of each of 'em....
turn8a and dddd like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 05:32 AM

No versys seat is not that bad.
But butt may vary.

Anyhow, avoid corbin, you'll get screwed big times. super hard, poor fit (originally couldn't even lock in place), seams right where there really should not be any, and you ill loose almost all the space under the seat (you might need to remove stuff, not joking). All that without one iota of customer support, and a super hefty price. One quick way to set you back 500$.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 07:56 AM

No experience with Corbin, but I've been hearing and reading poor things about it's customer service for many years. I personally know two Corbin owners who had seams go bad within two years and were essentially told "tough luck" by Corbin.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 08:35 AM

Garage
The Sargeant seat is the best mod I've done so far.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 09:06 AM

If it helps I swapped my seat from my 2008 versys to my 2015 the seat fits. They do have different part numbers. I also bought the kawasaki versys aftermarket seat and prefer the stock 2015 seat to it.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 10:03 AM

Garage
I did the thing where you add washers to prop up the front of the seat but I still slide forward (and my seat makes a weird creaking sound when I move on it). I'll be taking the washers out and ordering the seat concepts seat soon. I'm constantly sliding forward and that bump in the back isn't far back enough.

2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 - Barkbuster hand guards, Hepko & Becker crash bars, Oxford Heated sports grips, Motowerk lowering Kit with Kickstand insert, Shad SH45 Top Case and Brake Light, Shad Versys Top Mount Kit, Superlite 43T Rear Sprocket, National Cycle VStream Sport Touring Windscreen.

Roaming the country around Columbus in ever wider circles.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 10:16 AM

I haven't made any long (more than 200km in a row) trips with my 2018 Versys But once in a wile I end a trip with a numb butt. This is new to me... It didn't happened with my cb500x. But the riding position is a bit diferent and probably my bad back is the problem not the seat. That said would be great a bit more confortable seat for longer rides that I'm pkanning.

Over here Top Sellerie is very well regarded as the top seat manufarturer. But one with gel is around 250€ plus shipping...

Enviado do meu G3221 através do Tapatalk
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
FWIW - I have ridden my THREE V650s about 156,000 miles, w/ the ONLY seat mod - the RAISED front of each of 'em....
...AND here's a link to HOW to do it, w/ pics.... (Post #4).

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...-comments.html

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 02:11 PM

Garage
‘FWIW - I have ridden my THREE V650s about 156,000 miles, w/ the ONLY seat mod - the RAISED front of each of 'em....’

Yeah, but you got cinder blocks for an a**!😝
Cheers!

Last edited by BigKev; 08-03-2018 at 02:16 PM.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

I don't see the pictures in the post. Would you please post the pics again. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode