• 1 Post By Wolfcamp
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By Wolfcamp
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 2 Post By JimK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Stay thirsty, I mean hydrated, my friends.

As the heat and humidity climb into the 90s, steps must be taken...

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 09:16 AM

Garage
Nice!

2015 Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Versys 650 ABS, 2006 Vulcan 500 (sold)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Nicely done! I bought a medium size Camelback bladder. I fill it and put in frig overnight. Then I slip it in the pocket on the back of the jacket in front of the back armor. Then I string the tube over my shoulder. Plus the cool against my back helps for a while. Of course my modular helmet makes it easier to access the mouthpiece, although I try to restrict that to when we are stopped.
Doug Just Doug likes this.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
Nicely done! I bought a medium size Camelback bladder. I fill it and put in frig overnight. Then I slip it in the pocket on the back of the jacket in front of the back armor. Then I string the tube over my shoulder. Plus the cool against my back helps for a while. Of course my modular helmet makes it easier to access the mouthpiece, although I try to restrict that to when we are stopped.
I have knapsacks that are complete w/ a 3L hydration pack in AZ and in BC, and use them whenever I go on a long trip (beyond an overnight), the 'bite-valve' attached to the end of my helmet strap. For 'day-rides' I carry a couple of water bottles in a saddle-bag, stopping now-and-then to hydrate.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

You can't tell from the pic, but it's got a bite valve, and the pink thingie clipped to the tank bag is a thin cable retractor to keep the tubing from flying around or falling. Alternatively, it could be clipped to a jacket. I keep the drinking end inside the tank bag's external pocket until I want a drink. The fabric water cooler holder is straps to the bike's frame and passenger peg. The wife of a guy over on the ADV forum makes these if anyone is interested, but others have rigged up similar systems on their own. This is the 2nd bike I've used it on.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 09:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
You can't tell from the pic, but it's got a bite valve, and the pink thingie clipped to the tank bag is a thin cable retractor to keep the tubing from flying around or falling.
This sounds a bit like the hydration solution I cobbled together several years back. It worked perfectly on the long distance trips I used to make in the summer. See how I made it HERE. It's small enough that it would fit on the back seat of the Versys.

Here it is in action. You can see the blue drink tube come from the small Coleman chest full of ice water:

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

FWIW - I never try for iced water, because on long trips it's difficult to do that. So, for ME - 'WET' is all I look for, but LOTS of it!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 05:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
FWIW - I never try for iced water, because on long trips it's difficult to do that. So, for ME - 'WET' is all I look for, but LOTS of it!

When on a long trip, I fill it completely with ice, then add water. Throughout the day, the ice melts creating more water. It stays cold just about all day long. If it's an especially hot, long day, and the ice gets low, I may get a cup full of ice from McDonald's and throw it in. I'll even dump in left over ice from a fountain drink. On those high mileage days at 100+ degrees, cold water will help keep your core temperature in check.

One other thing. I also be sure to eat salty snacks when I stop for gas to help replace electrolytes. I've also been known to just add a little salt to the water, but not enough that I would be able to taste it.

The next morning, I fill it back up with ice from the motel's ice maker. The Coleman chest has a 5 quart capacity so it doesn't take more than one or two of those ice buckets that you find in your room.

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Yours is a bit more sophisticated than mine -- nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcamp View Post
This sounds a bit like the hydration solution I cobbled together several years back. It worked perfectly on the long distance trips I used to make in the summer. See how I made it HERE. It's small enough that it would fit on the back seat of the Versys.

Here it is in action. You can see the blue drink tube come from the small Coleman chest full of ice water:

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Humm at first glance I was thinking urine relief tube...Lol.

Oh so you have one of those too????

Just be careful not to mix them up!!!!!!!!

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
...Just be careful not to mix them up!!!!!!!!
Ever watch "Catch 22"?

Remember the fellow all bandaged-up, in 'traction', w/ intravenous tubes everywhere, and a relief tube? Remember a nurse walking up to him (in the background of MANY scenes) and changing the TWO tubes, one for the other...?

hawkerjet likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 05:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
Humm at first glance I was thinking urine relief tube...Lol.

Oh so you have one of those too????

Just be careful not to mix them up!!!!!!!!
Yea hawkerjet , I was going to suggest a bag on the opposite side to catch urine.
tommyvous59 and hawkerjet like this.

[B]Once you go PACK you never go back
]
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK View Post
Yea hawkerjet , I was going to suggest a bag on the opposite side to catch urine.
lol
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 12:45 PM

Garage
Are you saying we should drink a couple quarts of beer before going on a ride?

[B]Once you go PACK you never go back
]
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK View Post
Are you saying we should drink a couple quarts of beer before going on a ride?
Of COURSE he wasn't - but once the ride is OVER....

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode