Front fender extension. How to remove front fender - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Front fender extension. How to remove front fender

Hi guys, i want to mount a front tender extension. I'm not good with manual works, but I want try to mount it on my own. How can I remove the front tender? A video would be great. I have a 2018 Versys

Inviato dal mio SM-G965F utilizzando Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu10 View Post
Hi guys, i want to mount a front tender extension. I'm not good with manual works, but I want try to mount it on my own. How can I remove the front tender? A video would be great. I have a 2018 Versys

not 100% positive with the 2018 but the 09 you just remove the 4 bolts and 2 brake line holders and it slides right off. you have to squeeze it a tinny bit to clear the forks but thats about it

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
not 100% positive with the 2018 but the 09 you just remove the 4 bolts and 2 brake line holders and it slides right off. you have to squeeze it a tinny bit to clear the forks but thats about it
I read that with the last model it's different, so I'm asking it to be sure. I searched for a video guide, but I didn't find anything

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
I read that with the last model it's different, so I'm asking it to be sure. I searched for a video guide, but I didn't find anything....
EVERY time I tried ('15 650 - Gen 3), I had to remove the front wheel FIRST.

On my Gen 1s it's pretty easy, as the other answer by silviefox indicates, w/out wheel removal.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I didn't take mine off. I just reached my hand in between the fender and tire and cleaned the area i attached the fender extender too. Used Gorilla Glue Epoxy and never had any issues....

024 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Fender Extender MK-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
EVERY time I tried ('15 650 - Gen 3), I had to remove the front wheel FIRST.

On my Gen 1s it's pretty easy, as the other answer by silviefox indicates, w/out wheel removal.
Ed is correct, you cannot remove the fender like the MK-1 & MK-2 , fender has rivets installed permanently, I drilled my rivets out and bought some stainless rivets , the ABS mounting bracket and Hydraulic brake line supports are riveted to the fender. Two ways to remove, take the tire off and all the brake calipers, or drill out the rivets for the support brackets , then re-rivet, I found stainless rivets at Home Depot and used them on the fender extender as well , made a nice clean finish.

This is the worst side, although the other side has a similar bracket riveted, I decided to drill them out and had a putty knife behind in case I went too far!! Lots simpler than removing the tire and brake calipers, The rivet in the fender extender has a aluminum washer for backing small rivets, I had about 200 so decided to use them with the stainless rivets. FYI all the rivets in the brackets were replaced with the same stainless rivets, which happens to be what Kawasaki used as well.

FYI I removed the fender, as holes need to be drilled, those where push pin type supplied by the manufacturer , as to tape, pay attention, the fender receives a fair amount of force every time the wheel moves, if you don't care about driving over the fender extender, use the tape, myself I added those two rivets as assurance , also think about drilling the holes required, unless you have complete faith in the tape only, tell us how that works out after 1000KM of rough road.

Last edited by onewizard; 07-07-2018 at 05:59 PM.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I didn't take mine off. I just reached my hand in between the fender and tire and cleaned the area i attached the fender extender too. Used Gorilla Glue Epoxy and never had any issues....

024 by weljo2001, on Flickr
That's a great news to me! So is it simple to mount the extension without remove the front fender at all? I bought this tape, it seems to be very good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Ed is correct, you cannot remove the fender like the MK-1 & MK-2 , fender has rivets installed permanently, I drilled my rivets out and bought some stainless rivets , the ABS mounting bracket and Hydraulic brake line supports are riveted to the fender. Two ways to remove, take the tire off and all the brake calipers, or drill out the rivets for the support brackets , then re-rivet, I found stainless rivets at Home Depot and used them on the fender extender as well , made a nice clean finish.

This is the worst side, although the other side has a similar bracket riveted, I decided to drill them out and had a putty knife behind in case I went too far!! Lots simpler than removing the tire and brake calipers, The rivet in the fender extender has a aluminum washer for backing small rivets, I had about 200 so decided to use them with the stainless rivets. FYI all the rivets in the brackets were replaced with the same stainless rivets, which happens to be what Kawasaki used as well.
I can tell you that on my 2018 there are 4 screw, without the need to remove the wheel 🤷*♂️

post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tape ???

I edited my above post, I would never depend on the tape due to the fact that you assume both surfaces are perfectly mated , which they aren't.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I used the 3M tape only on multiple bikes and in the 6 years that I owned my V had no issues. Bikes were/are ridden in both wet and dry conditions.
Make sure that both mating surfaces are thoroughly cleaned.

This subject has been debated several times with multiple opinions and methods of attaching the extender.
Use the method that you are comfortable with.

2008 Versys-sold
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
1988 Honda Hawk GT NT650

Truth
It is more important now than ever.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 08:40 PM

Garage
You are 100 % correct on the fender removal. A bit of a PIA. Had quite a hassle with mine, and ended up bolting things back together using lock nuts with nylon inserts. I was worried I might crack the fender using rivets, but looks like you were successful. As for the fender extender instillation I used two part epoxy roughed up the surfaces with 40 grit sand paper, wiped everything with alcohol, and also used the fasteners they supplied. Rock solid.

BEST,
ANDY

"ALWAYS IN QUESTION, NEVER IN DOUBT".
Visit me at andyversystheworld on Facebook for Pictures and Updates.
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I edited my above post, I would never depend on the tape due to the fact that you assume both surfaces are perfectly mated , which they aren't.
I know people that used only tape and they had no problem. I don't know if it's only lucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
I used the 3M tape only on multiple bikes and in the 6 years that I owned my V had no issues. Bikes were/are ridden in both wet and dry conditions.
Make sure that both mating surfaces are thoroughly cleaned.

This subject has been debated several times with multiple opinions and methods of attaching the extender.
Use the method that you are comfortable with.
How did you cleaned the fender without remove it? Is it easy to mount the extender with the tape without remove the fender? I never did that, I don't know where to start since I'm very bad with manual works

post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I know people that used only tape and they had no problem. I don't know if it's only luckyHow did you cleaned the fender without remove it? Is it easy to mount the extender with the tape without remove the fender? I never did that, I don't know where to start since I'm very bad with manual works

You can use an old white cotton sock slipped over your hand. Saturate the sock with solvent at your fingers. You should have enough room to insert your fingers/sock between the tire and inner side of the fender and wipe the inner fender area. Repeat with a clean sock until no dirt appears on the sock.

To attach the extender you can do a test fit using masking tape on the fender and extender as reference points to do the permanent install.

2008 Versys-sold
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
1988 Honda Hawk GT NT650

Truth
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
I know people that used only tape and they had no problem. I don't know if it's only luckyHow did you cleaned the fender without remove it? Is it easy to mount the extender with the tape without remove the fender? I never did that, I don't know where to start since I'm very bad with manual works

IF you have stands that will allow you to remove the front wheel - remove it and add the extender w/ it removed, which gives PLENTY of room, but you WILL end up lying on the floor while doing it!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You can use an old white cotton sock slipped over your hand. Saturate the sock with solvent at your fingers. You should have enough room to insert your fingers/sock between the tire and inner side of the fender and wipe the inner fender area. Repeat with a clean sock until no dirt appears on the sock.

To attach the extender you can do a test fit using masking tape on the fender and extender as reference points to do the permanent install.
I didn't understand the "test fit" part, can you explain better to me? Sorry, I'm not English

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
IF you have stands that will allow you to remove the front wheel - remove it and add the extender w/ it removed, which gives PLENTY of room, but you WILL end up lying on the floor while doing it!
I don't have a stands and I don't want to remove the wheel anyway! I guess I have to try without remove anything at all

post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I didn't understand the "test fit" part, can you explain better to me? Sorry, I'm not English

I don't have a stands and I don't want to remove the wheel anyway! I guess I have to try without remove anything at all

test fit=put the extender in place temporairly not using the 3M tape

2008 Versys-sold
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
1988 Honda Hawk GT NT650

Truth
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
test fit=put the extender in place temporairly not using the 3M tape
Ok, thanks. I will try in that way
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 11:59 AM

Garage
I just ordered an extender off Ebay for around $24 plus free shipping. I will use that 3M tape that ryu10 displayed earlier. I think it will be all right.

[B]Once you go PACK you never go back
]
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK View Post
I just ordered an extender off Ebay for around $24 plus free shipping. I will use that 3M tape that ryu10 displayed earlier. I think it will be all right.
Today has arrived the 3M tape. Now I'm waiting the extender, it will arrive at the and of the week probably.
JimK, if you can let me know when you mount it, if you will do some photos will be great!

post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 03:27 PM

Garage
Probably won`t see the extender for a few weeks according to shipping details from Ebay. Just going to clean the under side of the fender well and stick it on.

[B]Once you go PACK you never go back
]
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK View Post
Probably won`t see the extender for a few weeks according to shipping details from Ebay. Just going to clean the under side of the fender well and stick it on.
Well, I'll let you know then

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode