Gen 2 quiet fly screen? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 22
Gen 2 quiet fly screen?

What’s the quietest windscreen for a Gen 2? I’m currently running the Givi D410ST. Great wind protection but freaking loud at all 3 positions. I’m 5’8”. I don’t want or need a huge screen. I just want quiet. Don’t care about bugs or rain. A little fly screen would be cool. I’ve never ran a factory screen.

I tried running no screen, but my commute has 15 miles of 75mph and the wind pressure was brutal. If I never went over 55, that’s the way I would go.

Maybe the Zero Gravity SR?
BoilerRealm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 01:20 AM
Member
 
notyou83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: DFW area
Posts: 107
Some have had luck with simply flipping the stock screen upside down, but I have no idea how that affects the noise levels. it does change how the wind flows, but it wasn't for me.
notyou83 is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 06:56 AM
Member
 
AlaskaJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Palmer, ALASKA
Posts: 1,269
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by notyou83 View Post
Some have had luck with simply flipping the stock screen upside down, but I have no idea how that affects the noise levels. it does change how the wind flows, but it wasn't for me.
Ahhhhh, you won't be able to do that in a Gen 2 TOTALLY different mounting. As far as a quieter screen, are you sure it's the screen and not your helmet causing the noise? I run a modified (lifted) Zero Gravity.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
AlaskaJeff is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
As far as a quieter screen, are you sure it's the screen and not your helmet causing the noise? I run a modified (lifted) Zero Gravity.
It could be partly. My helmet is a scorpion 410. But it was really quiet when I was riding a buell Cyclone with a tiny fly screen.

I have the best luck with my Givi in the #2 position. #1 has too much buffeting, and #3 is really loud and I’m almost looking through it.
BoilerRealm is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 12:12 PM
Member
 
twowheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 3,330
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerRealm View Post
What’s the quietest windscreen for a Gen 2? I’m currently running the Givi D410ST. Great wind protection but freaking loud at all 3 positions. I’m 5’8”. I don’t want or need a huge screen. I just want quiet. Don’t care about bugs or rain. A little fly screen would be cool. I’ve never ran a factory screen.

I tried running no screen, but my commute has 15 miles of 75mph and the wind pressure was brutal. If I never went over 55, that’s the way I would go.

Maybe the Zero Gravity SR?
I own the same bike with the same Givi screen and am 5'10". I prefer the Givi screen most times (mounted upright) but also use the stock screen in the heat of the summer for more cooling wind flow in big city commuting. There is no quiet solution I am aware of. I've even tried no screen which sucks on the highway. Maybe a stock screen with a spoiler or something similar? IMO if you want wind protection like a Goldwing the Versys is probably the wrong bike. I would suggest a higher quality helmet with ear plugs vs a different windscreen. I've owned a Scorpion 710, same helmet with fiberglass vs ABS shell, and was never a fan of fit, limited ventilation, and no chin skirt which made it noisy. An ECE or Snell 2015 helmet will also be safer. Eg. Shoei RF1200, Bell RS2, HJC RHPA 70, and many more.

Last edited by twowheels; 06-07-2018 at 12:22 PM.
twowheels is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 22
An update:
After doing a bunch of research, I drilled new holes the the front cowl to tilt the shield way back towards me. Ride into work was amazing. Much quieter. Helmet in clean air with my body in a pocket.

The ride home will be a better test, because it’s always a lot windier and a lot more traffic. And I’ll have all the vents open on my helmet.
BoilerRealm is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 08:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Alabama Gulf Coast USA
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerRealm View Post
An update:
After doing a bunch of research, I drilled new holes the the front cowl to tilt the shield way back towards me. Ride into work was amazing. Much quieter. Helmet in clean air with my body in a pocket.

The ride home will be a better test, because it’s always a lot windier and a lot more traffic. And I’ll have all the vents open on my helmet.
Got a pic of the install? I have a the tall version of the National Cycle VStream, and it works well for blocking wind and keeping it in the tall position most airflow goes over my head at 75 MPH, I'm 5'11" but now that it's summer time it blocks too much air and I was melting so I tried the stock windscreen but the buffeting was terrible so I just took the whole screen and mount off for now but I am looking for a shorter screen that keeps my head in the wind with no buffeting.

2016 VERSYS 650 LT
ZeroPoint is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome