Windscreen hits and misses - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Windscreen hits and misses

Folks, please bear with me on my journey to find a better windscreen for my 2016 Versys 650 LT. The stock, Givi 4114ST and Puig touring didn't work for me at all. I'm 6'2" and 34" inseam. I managed to sell the Puig already and probably soon you'll see my Givi for sales here (stay tuned!).

I understand finding the best wind/buffeting protection is mostly experimentation and depends on several variables such as helmet, riding position/style, etc...but the business of buying for $100 and selling it almost new for $70 is not working for me. To be honest, stock is the one that gives me the least amount of buffeting. Noise is a no issue with my Shoei Qwest helmet and earplugs.

Next on the list: Vstream, Madstad and Givi Airflow --- I'm open to recommendations from others that tried several windscreens.

Thanks a bunch and keep riding safe out there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 01:43 PM

Garage
I'm 6'2" with a 33" inseam and this worked for me...http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...50-1000-a.html

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I'm 6'2" with a 33" inseam and this worked for me...http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...50-1000-a.html
Thanks for the feedback! It looks nice on the Versys too. Have you tested on a Versys 650 or just on your 1000?

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 03:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Chicago View Post
Thanks for the feedback! It looks nice on the Versys too. Have you tested on a Versys 650 or just on your 1000?

Just my Versys 1000.....On my 09 V-650 i had a Givi then a Parrabellum Tall Tinted Screen worked well but was as big as a barn door and it moved so much in heavy wind i felt the windshield brackets would break...A Givi/Stock Screen Combo worked best on the 09...
Jay_Chicago likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 04:39 PM

"Givi/Stock Screen Combo" ?

Can you elaborate?
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by notyou83 View Post
"Givi/Stock Screen Combo" ?

Can you elaborate?
I think he meant a Givi windscreen and the stock mounted inverted in the back. See this: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ml#post1134266
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 05:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
I think he meant a Givi windscreen and the stock mounted inverted in the back. See this: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ml#post1134266

Yep, That a good photo of the front here's one from the back side. Adding the extra holes to both screen allowed it to be taller and not be huge like other screens out there....

IMG_0519 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 05:48 PM

I'm 6ft and I have a Givi Airflow. I keep it at half height, it's amazing!!
I would buy it back in a second.
The pocket that Airflow makes around the rider is incredible, I hear the engine noise at almost any speed (except strong lateral wind).
Jay_Chicago likes this.

Versys 2015 Green
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
I'm 6ft and I have a Givi Airflow. I keep it at half height, it's amazing!!
I would buy it back in a second.
The pocket that Airflow makes around the rider is incredible, I hear the engine noise at almost any speed (except strong lateral wind).
Yes, I'm torn between the Vstream and Givi Airflow next. I'm sure the Airflow works better with its double-layer screen but I'm still debating the looks of it on this bike. I may buy both windscreens from CycleGear and test them out for couple days (before my credit card kicks in) and return the one I don't like to the store since there is a CycleGear store 10 miles from me.
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 08:33 PM

it's not the looks I'm looking for, but the comfort.
It doesn't look do bad though..

the Airflow has something very interesting... the lip is wider at the bottom, so it compresses the air and it shoots it up with higher pressure, creating a "wall" of air that moves above your helmet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160412_201708.jpg (58.8 KB, 149 views)

Versys 2015 Green

Last edited by chid; 04-27-2018 at 08:35 PM.
post #11 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 10:41 PM

Garage
This windshield thing will drive you nuts-I bought a mid size National Cycle thought I didn't like sold it-bought a shorter National Cycle thought I didn't like it sold it bought another mid size thinking I missed something nope still have it but don't care for it each time putting the stock one back on---and a drum roll I bought back the short National cycle-so how nuts is that-are we having fun yet

Deep in Cajun Country
post #12 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 06:02 AM

A bike without an adjustable windshield (like the madstad) is like a bike without a seat; your in for an uncomfortable ride.

It's 2018. Seriously. The tech is there, use it. It's that simple. It's high when you want it, it's low when you don't. Changes angle too when you need to find the right laminar flow of air according to the speed. No compromise, it's like having 9 windshields in 1 (assuming coarsely low medium high for both position and tilt, although the madstad is not limited to discrete steps).
Jay_Chicago likes this.
post #13 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 07:15 AM

Garage
I am with you on trying to find the right windshield. I now have the MRA Vara Touring shield and love it. NO buffeting, the ride is so smooth. The top deflector / wing is set to "maximum" deflection and the wind hits my helmet at the very tippy top with the windshield in the top position. I think the secret to no buffeting is the screen is shorter at the bottom, so it allows just the right amount of air to enter the bottom. For me, at 5' 8", it is heaven. I really love the highway crusing ability of the bike now. I had my original screen on for 5K miles, and moving it up above the top stop made it survivable. I had a Cal Scientific before and need to list that for sale. Best!

BEST,
ANDY

"ALWAYS IN QUESTION, NEVER IN DOUBT".
Visit me at andyversystheworld on Facebook for Pictures and Updates.
post #14 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 07:20 AM

Garage
I recently took possession of a mid-height V-Stream, and so far I like it on my V650 (Weljo's review video really helped me decide on the V-Stream). I'm 6' tall, but ride a little hunched over. On the lowest setting, the V-Stream is just about as tall as the stock screen on it's highest setting. My initial test was wonderful. At speeds below 70 mph, I could hear the airbox "growl" instead of wind noise and turbulence. I did set it a bit higher and try a little highway riding, but I think that it was a little better in the lowest position. More experimentation ahead. So far, I like it a lot! I think if I can get the optimal height figured out, I may not need ear plugs anymore...NOTE:
Read the instructions and warnings! The V-Stream may melt your dash if parked facing away from the sun, due to the shape of the screen acting like a magnifying glass. I found an old dirt bike helmet bag that fits very well over the screen, and so plan to carry that to cover the screen when parked in hopes of allieviating the issue.

I considered the MadStad, but don't like the looks, nor the additional bracketry required for all the adjustment. I prefer to keep things simple. That said, it is impossible to argue the adjustability that is available with the MadStad for sure.

Last edited by mentolio; 04-28-2018 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Forgot something important.
post #15 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentolio View Post
.....NOTE:
Read the instructions and warnings! The V-Stream may melt your dash if parked facing away from the sun, due to the shape of the screen acting like a magnifying glass. I found an old dirt bike helmet bag that fits very well over the screen, and so plan to carry that to cover the screen when parked in hopes of allieviating the issue.

Ops! Thanks for the warning. I heard it somewhere but thought it was urban legend.
post #16 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 02:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Ops! Thanks for the warning. I heard it somewhere but thought it was urban legend.

Its also happened using other windscreens.. I've never had any issue in 2 years but if i park my bike in the driveway for a long period of time in the heat i put my gloves on the top part of the dash. I have a GPS mounted so it covers most of the area that the sun would hit..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #17 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 02:07 PM

Have the 1000 touring screen on my 2017 650. Only one I have tried and for me no need to try anything else.
post #18 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Folks, please bear with me on my journey to find a better windscreen for my 2016 Versys 650 LT....
I have a PUIG 5999 which I used going to D2D 2016, but I wasn't totally happy w/ it, so last summer I tried IT, and then the OEM windscreen, EACH for a few weeks, then rode cross-Canada and back w/ the OEM (on a '15 V650) thru MAJOR rain, major wind, and I'll get rid of the PUIG when I get off my butt to do so.

VERY happy w/ the 'stocker'.

-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6114837.JPG (449.0 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg P7181283copy.jpg (185.3 KB, 79 views)
Harry Shaft likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 05:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mentolio View Post
I recently took possession of a mid-height V-Stream, and so far I like it on my V650 (Weljo's review video really helped me decide on the V-Stream). I'm 6' tall, but ride a little hunched over. On the lowest setting, the V-Stream is just about as tall as the stock screen on it's highest setting. My initial test was wonderful. At speeds below 70 mph, I could hear the airbox "growl" instead of wind noise and turbulence. I did set it a bit higher and try a little highway riding, but I think that it was a little better in the lowest position. More experimentation ahead. So far, I like it a lot! I think if I can get the optimal height figured out, I may not need ear plugs anymore...NOTE:

I considered the MadStad, but don't like the looks, nor the additional bracketry required for all the adjustment. I prefer to keep things simple. That said, it is impossible to argue the adjustability that is available with the MadStad for sure.
Well I didn't want to get in it about these V Stream shields-I think now I have to- you mentioned the warning about may melt dash in my case take out the word may and put DID- yep put a nice burnt mark on the upper dash-called National Cycle very upset -we talked a long while it seems they knew about the problem-it has happened before and instead of taking it off the market or fixing the problem the disclaimer was added-I got a refund for the shield not the dash-a little wet- dry 400 paper some semi black paint all is good very hard to tell-so the long and the short of all this is if you have a Gen 3 and your running a V Stream mid size-light tint shield- do not put it less than half way down this is from National Cycle-up all the way up all's good the more you go down the odds go up for burnt dash-I ran mine for months either full up or mid way but with in a week of trying it down- burnt dash-can't say anything about any other V Stream shields or other years Versys-just this one on a Gen 3
StormRider likes this.

Deep in Cajun Country
post #20 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 08:29 PM

Garage
I tried it all the way up today, definitely better. Overall, I think it's a decent windscreen for the price, and as I said, knowing ahead of time about the "melting dash issue" I planned for it. I still think it works ok at the lowest position, but is better in the upper position. Somehow the middle just seems "meh." Sorry about your damaged dash, motorboy. Going back to the OP: after riding with mine a bit more, if I were your height, I would likely order the "tall" screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode