Windscreen hits and misses - Page 4 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Alright, alright, alright....borrowed a Givi Airflow AF4105 because I just had to see it for myself. I just have one word to describe its performance: SPECTACULAR!
The wind protection is better than the Vstream and all others I've tested. Zero buffeting and I got less tired riding behind it than on the Vstream (at least for 220 miles). The Vstream is great but I still feel wind pressure on my arms and shoulders, not with the Givi Airflow. There are plenty ways to set it up since you have the base height adjustment and the top deflector adjustment separately. This way you can let more flow to come from underneath, from the top or compressed between the two layers so you can pick whatever works for you based on your height, riding position, helmet, wind conditions, etc...There are few adjustment combinations that will make the air flow literally whistle but with a little tweak you can get rid of that. Overall, I found the Vstream quieter but the Givi Airflow more comfortable to ride longer distances. If you wear earplugs, there will be no difference in noise level between both and my pick would go to the Givi Airflow. I was not sold by the looks of it when watching pictures, but when installed on the bike it doesn't look that bad at all. Also found that with the airflow the bike struggles to go after 95 mph.

...does anybody have a madstad to spare?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2760.jpg (54.9 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2757.jpg (46.0 KB, 58 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 10:13 AM

I just got this one.. MRA VarioTouringScreen Windshield for Kawasaki Versys 650 '15, Versys 1000 '15 (Light Smoke Grey)... Buzzed it up and down the interstate and was pleased.. No buffeting but a bit more wind in the shoulder and arm... It was a bit pricey though
post #63 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 10:19 AM

Picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15287303368337935886950437826991_1528730354561.jpg (37.3 KB, 52 views)

post #64 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 10:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Chicago View Post
Alright, alright, alright....borrowed a Givi Airflow AF4105 because I just had to see it for myself. I just have one word to describe its performance: SPECTACULAR!
The wind protection is better than the Vstream and all others I've tested. Zero buffeting and I got less tired riding behind it than on the Vstream (at least for 220 miles). The Vstream is great but I still feel wind pressure on my arms and shoulders, not with the Givi Airflow. There are plenty ways to set it up since you have the base height adjustment and the top deflector adjustment separately. This way you can let more flow to come from underneath, from the top or compressed between the two layers so you can pick whatever works for you based on your height, riding position, helmet, wind conditions, etc...There are few adjustment combinations that will make the air flow literally whistle but with a little tweak you can get rid of that. Overall, I found the Vstream quieter but the Givi Airflow more comfortable to ride longer distances. If you wear earplugs, there will be no difference in noise level between both and my pick would go to the Givi Airflow. I was not sold by the looks of it when watching pictures, but when installed on the bike it doesn't look that bad at all. Also found that with the airflow the bike struggles to go after 95 mph.

...does anybody have a madstad to spare?
A little couch time may help with your windshield fedish
Jay_Chicago likes this.

Deep in Cajun Country
post #65 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:49 PM

I installed my N20120 Tall VStream today.

On the 2015 I needed 4x 92152-0092 collars and 4x 92161-1938 dampers to fit the slightly bigger holes of the 2017+. Everything else was re-used.

It's raining today so a test ride will have to wait. I mainly just want to keep the wind fully off my head at highway speeds while still having some air come around the sides as this is mostly for commuting.
post #66 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:29 PM

Garage
Let me join in on this.

I'm on the verge of selling my 16' Versys 650 LT due to unbearable buffeting.

Being 6'3", with broad shoulders, and 34 inseam, and around 240lbs, I did NOT expect 100% comfort (and yes, seat and its angle are garbage however you mod it - so local guy is/was willing to do it for me for 350), but wind noise is utterly killing me.

I commute daily, 15miles highway (65-90mph avg) and 5 miles to the home/work off the freeway.

It is unforgiving how bad the wind noise and buffeting are.

I tried stock low and high positions (and many in between) -> at highest - air hits me in the top of my chest, just under the neck line and shoulders take a beating to the point I don't like going over 70 at all.

Then, GIVI D4114ST Touring Screen was installed - and that moved the air higher - but at highest point - hits me square in the visor (so if open my visor - I get air, dust, rocks, and ICBM-like flies right in my face/eyes) while at the same time - rocks my head in all directions like a bobble-head.

Yes, I tried one of those cheap 25bux clip ons -> did nothing but made swirling even worse .

As it stands - I am parting ways with this bike for a design that will allow me to sit more IN THE BIKE, then ON the bike (as is the case here). I've sat on FJ-09, but that bike is too short overall, squishes me knees too much.
Tried Tiger 1050 (older, I know) and loved it - guy had a taller PUIG on it and I like that a LOT. Much better ergos for taller/larger guy.
Then there was a V-Strom and Multistrada (2015 and 2011 respectively). Strom felt much longer, and that's where I'm leaning atm, but MS just FEELS nice to the rider, and screen is apparently VERY nice. (didn't ride that).

If there is SOMETHING you *can recommend* for really a 6'4+ guy -> please do tell, because I really LIKE how my versys drives - it's all I was looking for -> light enough, more nimble then stroms and Tigers, more reliable then Multistradas, and no, I did not want GS or F series BMW...

I have decided to put the bike for sale - so it sits on CL at the moment.

Just a tall dude who does not care_for/like cruisers, and has too bad of a back to ride sport bikes.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #67 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
(and yes, seat and its angle are garbage however you mod it
It's likely just you. I have no problem with comfort; angle remains unnoticeable even after I read about it.

Quote:
Then, GIVI D4114ST Touring Screen was installed - ...
I tried one of those cheap 25bux clip ons
So you gave up money (GIVIt up) to the overpriced givi sh*t, and a cheap clip on, and you want to give up?

I finally settled on "madstad". This brand is to other brands like a clamshell 10$ phone is to a smartphone. Not only you can choose height and tilt but when you order, you can choose the shield size too. Shield yourself up. Have fun.

Last edited by dddd; 06-07-2019 at 12:53 PM.
post #68 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 01:35 PM

Garage
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
It's likely just you. I have no problem with comfort; angle remains unnoticeable even after I read about it.
Yeah, that is true. I have an old back injury that forces me to be upright.

Quote:
So you gave up money (GIVIt up) to the overpriced givi sh*t, and a cheap clip on, and you want to give up?
GIVI (and stock) came with the bike.

Quote:
I finally settled on "madstad". This brand is to other brands like a clamshell 10$ phone is to a smartphone. Not only you can choose height and tilt but when you order, you can choose the shield size too. Shield yourself up. Have fun.
Now THIS is valuable - I assume not many people buy those due to their higher price, but MOST reviewers say it's an absolute dream to have!

How tall are you? Think 6'4" is my target height, and compare to your windshield height... I AM willing to spend $280 for it, just not many Versys reviews on them!!

Thank you for the quick response though!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00W0W_7Uwp3FxVKGa_1200x900.jpg (88.1 KB, 9 views)

Just a tall dude who does not care_for/like cruisers, and has too bad of a back to ride sport bikes.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #69 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt Doggert View Post
Now THIS is valuable - I assume not many people buy those due to their higher price, but MOST reviewers say it's an absolute dream to have!

How tall are you? Think 6'4" is my target height, and compare to your windshield height... I AM willing to spend $280 for it, just not many Versys reviews on them!!

Thank you for the quick response though!
I'm 5'10., but I'm rather upright too.
To be clear, I ported my ninja 650 madstad (with a bit of hack) to the versys (2015).
The shield is likely shorter than what available and poorly shaped. Yet it does well. The trick to fight buffeting is to let some air from under.

To give you an idea:

-when tucked low and flat, I can see well and close in front of me for offroad.

-when raised and sharp, my eyes are just over the top. It is actually annoying in hills because I'd to see lower. So I tilt or lower it a bit in hill (when I care).

-I bought it to be tall on purpose so I can get fog well over the visor.

-About flies, gone are the days where I need to clean the visor. My visor is clean all day. I'm so used to it that it pisses me offf when partners ask to do a wipe stop (watching them scratch the heck of theirs, replacing it every year. I think you will save on visors enough to pay for the windshield in maybe 5-10 years depending on which scheme your helmet brand caught you in.)

I don't have the real versys 650 madstad. But I see these guys have ported similar easy fat knobs (adjust from inside even while riding) & brackets and that you will have help for choosing the shield size if you explain what you want. They list you would need the 22" but they do have the 24" in the choices. Fortunately, if 24" is too tall, you can lower it (or recut?!). If 22" is too short, you can drill new holes, but that's kinda extreme...

https://madstad.com/collections/kawa...ys-650-2015-up

I can't choose the tint for you (I have medium grey) but just think of the future: if will wear and get dirty and obviously wet. Don't expect to see through for long. Meaning, too tall can get embarrassing, especially in rain.

Last edited by dddd; 06-07-2019 at 02:07 PM.
post #70 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...partners ask to do a wipe stop (watching them scratch the heck of theirs, replacing it every year. I think you will save on visors enough to pay for the windshield in maybe 5-10 years depending on which scheme your helmet brand caught you in.)....
I use LEMON PLEDGE to clean and polish my visors, and I've NEVER had to replace one since I started using it. Here's a pic of the visor on my BELL helmet when I got home from riding across Canada w/out cleaning it except for the rain I rode in, over 25 days and 8,668 miles, w/ my OEM windshield at it's highest setting!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #71 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I use LEMON PLEDGE to clean and polish my visors, and I've NEVER had to replace one since I started using it. Here's a pic of the visor on my BELL helmet when I got home from riding across Canada w/out cleaning it except for the rain I rode in, over 25 days and 8,668 miles, w/ my OEM windshield at it's highest setting!
Yep, tall windshield does the trick.
(but no cleaning agent will ever protect for impacts or from wiping bugs across; the only safe way is first to rinse them off.)
post #72 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yep, tall windshield does the trick.
(but no cleaning agent will ever protect for impacts or from wiping bugs across; the only safe way is first to rinse them off.)
I spray the windshield w/ PLEDGE, let it 'sit' for a few minutes BEFORE I wipe it off, then "BUFF" the screen.

I NEVER 'wipe bugs across it'.
16VGTIDave likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode