Windscreen hits and misses - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentolio View Post
I tried it all the way up today, definitely better. Overall, I think it's a decent windscreen for the price, and as I said, knowing ahead of time about the "melting dash issue" I planned for it. I still think it works ok at the lowest position, but is better in the upper position. Somehow the middle just seems "meh." Sorry about your damaged dash, motorboy. Going back to the OP: after riding with mine a bit more, if I were your height, I would likely order the "tall" screen.
Here's a thought - IF you have one of these 'shields, put a piece of that metallic duct-tape [looks like chrome] on the part under the shield (called a "Meter Cover" in my 2015 650 SERVICE MANUAL) so it will reflect the sun, thus NOT melting or burning it.

MIGHT even give you "points" w/ the 'Cruiser set'....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 07:27 PM

have givi screen on my 2008 V. added a puig spoiler. NO BUFFETING !!! should have added a spoiler long ago.
post #23 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 08:26 PM

I’m about 6’ and I’ve had the v-stream on the bike for about 3 years now. Fairly satisfied, though there is still some buffeting at the top of my helmet. I wish I could raise it a bit more.

post #24 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 10:54 PM

I really like my MRA touring screen. Very little buffeting and great protection. Plus it looks great too.

Problem is just about any windscreen will produce some turbulence/buffeting. If you are not sure then take off the screen entirely and go for a ride. You will be amazed what smooth/laminar actually feels like. Then put the screen back on and ride again to compare.

Here is a link to a post I made last year on the MRA screen.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...indscreen.html
Jay_Chicago likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #25 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 05:54 AM

Wind management can drive one crazy. I've had bikes that were perfect for me, and others that were never quite right despite trying many windshields. Plus, it's so personalized due to differing rider dimensions and preferences. I'm 5'9" and prefer to look over, not thru, a windshield. With my 3rd gen Versys, the OEM wasn't bad, but I wanted a bigger air pocket in winter. The Puig "sport touring" provided great coverage, but induced a moderate amount of buffeting between 45-65 MPH (smoothed out above 65). Now I'm running the mid-sized Nat'l Cycle, which for me is a pretty good (but not 100% perfect) compromise, though, as pointed out above, one has to be cognizant of the potential dash-melting scenario. I try to remember, but will probably forget at the wrong time some day. I may try a Madstad some day if I finally get up the gumption for an Iron Butt SS1000 ride.
Jay_Chicago likes this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #26 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 06:46 AM

I am 5'10" and have a 22" Madstad on my gen 2. As you said, this is a very personal thing, but your comment about a bigger air pocket (do you mean quieter?) leads me to comment. I am generally satisfied with the Madstad because the adjust-ability allows one to adapt to changing situations, but there is so much airflow beneath it you will never find a quiet spot. You may not, but I choose to use my Sena communicator to call home and my riding buddies, but the wind noise is such that I have to slow down to make the darn thing understand. For me, ear plugs are a necessity. Yes, you should use them anyway but it makes the point about wind noise. The quietest position for me is all the way down and leaning back so I get clean air and a buggy face shield. Just like the factory wind shield. The factory windshield didn't cost 269.00.
post #27 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEACHBUM View Post
...The factory windshield didn't cost 269.00.
The "factory windshield" on my Gen 1 co$t $7,500....

But they ALSO "threw-in" a PDG motorcycle w/ it....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #28 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Yep, That a good photo of the front here's one from the back side. Adding the extra holes to both screen allowed it to be taller and not be huge like other screens out there....

IMG_0519 by weljo2001, on Flickr

I've got almost the same setup, with a few additions I've added over the years... I'm 6ft with a long torso and an airhawk seat pad, so I sit pretty tall.

The combination I've settled on is the orignal Madstad bracket, Givi + stock screen for extra height, and a Laminar Lip I bought used for cheap.

It is a major Rube Goldberg but works for me at all speeds. I wouldn't suggest building a setup like that, but I did it one piece at a time over 10 years... LOL
weljo2001 likes this.

'08 Versys.. Givi rear rack, JCW trunk and E21's, Givi shield, Madstad bracket, Speedy peg and mirror brackets, lowering kit, SC Seat, R1 Shock.. other stuff. '09 KLX250 setup for singletrack. 2011 Xterra, '80 CJ-7

post #29 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 11:38 AM

Garage
I find the best solution is the stock screen plus a larger touring screen for cooler weather and extended highway riding. I put the stock screen back on for hot summertime riding. I find the touring screens I have worked well but blocked the cooling vents on my jacket. VStream make excellent quality and designed screens. I had one on my 2008 Versys and it worked great. I am now riding a MK2 model Versys. VStream I believe only make one for the Mk1 and Mk3 Versys.
post #30 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 02:10 PM

Garage
Does anybody have any experience with this Puig Clip-On visor attached to the stock windscreen? I'm interested to know how/if any it helps.

https://fortnine.ca/en/puig-clip-on-...n=gear-reviews

2010 Aprilia Shiver 750 "Ruthy"
2018 Kawasaki Versys 650LT ABS "Lucy"
post #31 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 10:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I find the best solution is the stock screen plus a larger touring screen for cooler weather and extended highway riding. I put the stock screen back on for hot summertime riding. I find the touring screens I have worked well but blocked the cooling vents on my jacket. VStream make excellent quality and designed screens. I had one on my 2008 Versys and it worked great. I am now riding a MK2 model Versys. VStream I believe only make one for the Mk1 and Mk3 Versys.
MK3- they make 3 sizes-

Deep in Cajun Country
post #32 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Here is something I tried today that helped reduce buffeting. I've added a spacer under the windscreen bracket front bolts (white spacers, see picture). It tilted the Givi windscreen few notches towards me reducing the turbulence at the top my helmet...20% better, but still there. I could have tried longer spacers to tilt it a tad more towards me and then it would be perfect. But if I did that, the bolts would be misaligned to the threads. I think I need a Madstad badly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2668.jpg (41.0 KB, 59 views)
post #33 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 07:15 PM

Garage
Interesting solution...you're giving me ideas.
Jay_Chicago likes this.
post #34 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 10:35 PM

Garage
Try putting the spacers under the bottom bolts of the windshield
Jay_Chicago likes this.

Deep in Cajun Country
post #35 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 08:26 AM

I've found that small adjustments to the angle of the windshield make large differences to whether there is turbulence on my helmet. It takes some patient experimentation to find the sweet spot. Madstad windshield on my '15 V650.
Jay_Chicago likes this.
post #36 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorboy View Post
Try putting the spacers under the bottom bolts of the windshield
It was my first thought but I would need longer bolts....next project on the list. I just don't want to tilt it too much that wind is down and over my visor.
post #37 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

....the saga continues: I'm GIVIng up on my screen. It didn't work well for me. Maybe it's for you, so you can find it in the sales section.
V-stream is next on the list. Stay tuned for more on this same thread
post #38 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 10:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Chicago View Post
....the saga continues: I'm GIVIng up on my screen. It didn't work well for me. Maybe it's for you, so you can find it in the sales section.
V-stream is next on the list. Stay tuned for more on this same thread
I have the short and the middle size National Cycle-if you ride a MK3 I may be able to help- give me your height
Jay_Chicago likes this.

Deep in Cajun Country
post #39 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorboy View Post
I have the short and the middle size National Cycle-if you ride a MK3 I may be able to help- give me your height
I'm 6'2" with 33" inseam.
post #40 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 07:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Chicago View Post
I'm 6'2" with 33" inseam.

I'm the same i went with the tall V-Stream and mostly used it lowered for city riding then raise it for freeway if its a long distance...
Jay_Chicago likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode