MikesShields windshields - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
MikesShields windshields

Hi I just wanted to introduce myself to this Versys board. I am Mike of MikesShields and I have been building windshields for the Concours and the Ninja 250 for about 2 years and now I am making one for the Versys.

The top of the shield when mounted in the top holes is almost 19 inches measured vertically above the keyhole. I am just under 5'11" and mounted this way the windblast hits me right around the top of my helmet. I tried to design a windshield that "looked right" on the unique shape of the Versys.

This is a "garage business" for me so most of the building process is done in my spare time after work (real job) so at times it takes me up to two weeks to fill an order but usually I get them shipped within 10 days of the order being placed. My prices include shipping UPS ground. Thanks for your time.

By the way, I love this bike!!

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 02:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Very nice shield... What exactly is it made of, and how thick? When will the Tinted Sport be available? Can you ship to Canada via USPS (Postal Service)? UPS is out of the question. You're in So Cal?

Last edited by invader; 11-27-2008 at 02:30 AM.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

Acrylic Plexiglas is what they are made from, pretty much the same as all aftermarket shields. I have been making them from 1/8 and 3/16 inch material. I think for a shield as small as this 1/8 is plenty and 3/16 might be over kill. I have a 3/16 clear on my Versys right now. Plan to ride it like that for a while.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 04:33 AM

Sounds good... So when would the Tinted Sport version be available? Can you ship to Canada via USPS (Postal Service)?
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 07:21 AM

I'd be interested in a clear on in the 3/16" thickness so shoot me a price please. I have a Givi now and the 1/8" thickness is a bitt wobbly for me.

Thanks
Don

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 09:52 AM

Cost?

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 10:04 AM

I'm with Don on this one. I'd like a 3/16" as well. Smoked when available. Very nice!

Thanks,
Jim
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 11:05 AM

no offence but . I dont like the super tall shield. I guess it's just me , I still ride with my OEM screen flipped....

Working to make it my Streetfighter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
V
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 12:30 PM

Looks good
So can you ship to Canada and what is the price$$$
Cheers
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdon View Post
I have a Givi now and the 1/8" thickness is a bitt wobbly for me.

Thanks
Don
That's odd I have had the tinted one I made up to 90 mph and it didn't move at all???

The prices are listed on my website (in the sig http://members.cox.net/michealmims/mikesshields.htm) but those prices are for the 1/8 inch material (and include shipping). Also make sure you scroll down to the Versys shields. Right now the price is $70 shipped. I actually had not planned to use the 3/16 since the 1/8th seem to work for anything 17 inches and under. The thicker material is harder to work and much heavier the total cost would be higher. The plan for the 3/16 material was to use to build anything taller than 17 inches for touring (future model).

I plan to build up a shorter sport shield this weekend so ordering info will be on the website by Monday.

As far as shipping to Canada USPS I just don't have time to stand in the long lines at our local PO and fill out all the extra paperwork. With UPS I can pretty much just drop it off. Let me investigate this a little more and I can get back to you on shipping to Canada USPS.

xprovince, no offense taken, some people get used to riding behind a nice windshield and riding a naked bike is pretty much out of the question. I am one of those people.

Thanks everyone

ST1300, Versys, SV650S

Last edited by gti20vturbo; 11-27-2008 at 12:52 PM.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 04:19 PM

Am very interested in a smoke touring shield ("future model?") in 3/16. Put me on the list.
And any plans to offer winter wings for the V?
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xprovince View Post
no offence but . I dont like the super tall shield. I guess it's just me , I still ride with my OEM screen flipped....
Does flipping the OEM screen have any functional benefit and also what position do you have it in?

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 04:10 AM

Mike.

I just put some handguards on my bike. They are the guards for an 08 KLR.

Do you have any pictures of how close the levers come to your windshield in full turn?

I like the looks of your shield, but I am concerned about interference with the guards.

Thanks August

Anybody else think these buffalo wings taste a lot like chicken?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Restored 69 Honda Trail 90
Whizzer motorbike
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antman325 View Post
Does flipping the OEM screen have any functional benefit and also what position do you have it in?
Flipped OEM screen can only be in the highest position to fit. It then looks and works a bit better.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

As far as the flipped wind screen goes, I think it looks better, but don't think it blocks any more wind. If so, not enough to make a real difference. If its blockage you seek, aftermarket is your answer, & the example above looks to be a good one...

post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by august View Post
Do you have any pictures of how close the levers come to your windshield in full turn?
Here are some pics with the worse case, with the shield all the way up the outer edges are the closest they can be to the levers. As the shield moves down it moves away from the levers. Also I attached a pic of the top of the shield relative to the keyhole. The top is just under 18.5 inches straight up from the keyhole.

Do you have any pics of your KLR handguards? I think I would like to try a set on my V. Do you need all the KLR mounting hardware as well?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RIGHTBAR.JPG (77.8 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg LEFTBAR.JPG (82.3 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg HOWTALL.JPG (69.4 KB, 122 views)

ST1300, Versys, SV650S

Last edited by gti20vturbo; 11-28-2008 at 11:47 AM.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 11:36 AM

Thanks Mike.

It looks to me that the KLR guards would hit your shield. The Calsci shield is straight cut where yours has the little wings.

The guards clear the Calsci on the left side by about an inch, and on the right side, the guard comes very close to touching, depending on how you rotate the bars and controls.I turned my bars and controls just enough to clear the tank and shield. You could gain some more clearance by rotating the controls and bars, but the levers might not be at the position for you.

The position of the levers is perfect for me where I have them now, but I wouldn't want to raise them too much more.

I posted a narrative and some pictures of my install. If you need more info, let me know.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=2112

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Whizzer motorbike
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I have a question, what is the distance from the bolt center-line to the edge of the Cal Sci shield (see pic). It looks like it might be wider. Mine is 5 inches measuring back along the shield.

Also I see you have a Cal Sci XL, do you feel there is a high demand for something this big for the Versys? I like a shield that provides good coverage myself but that is what my ST1300 is for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg versyshandguards009.jpg (103.9 KB, 289 views)

ST1300, Versys, SV650S

Last edited by gti20vturbo; 11-29-2008 at 01:34 PM.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 09:42 PM

The measurement where you have drawn the arrow is 5 3/8 inches. Down a little lower, it goes to 5 3/4 inches.

I like a tall shield. Some who look at mine think it's kind of ugly. I agree, it doesn't really fit the style of bike.

I ride with a group of guys, and we ride all year long , as long as it's not out of reason.We have a lot of wind here in Cheyenne, especially in the winter, and I find if I raise the shield up high, it really helps keep the wind blast off of my head.

In the summer, I lower it, because the wind is not so much of a factor.

I have a c-14 also,and I have the tall Calsci for it as well. I also have a Cee Baily ultra tour for it. I'm not sure which I like best, but probably lean a little towards the Calsci.

I have tried the naked bike, and itty bitty shields, but that is not for me. I want something blocking the wind for me. If all I did was ride in town, I could live with a small shield, but once I hit the road, I want a big one. I'll just have to live with the ugly part I guess.

Mark at Calsci made the extra tall on my request. He thought it was too much, but I told him it wanted something extra tall. If you go to his web site, that is my bike , the one in the snow picture. I think he has sold quite a few of the extra tall. As far as demand for the really tall ones, I'm not sure . People in my neck of the woods go more for the tall ones that people in more moderate climates I think.

I like the looks of your shield, if my hand guards wouldn't hit I would try one of yours.

August

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Whizzer motorbike

Last edited by august; 11-29-2008 at 09:49 PM.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 11:00 PM

Could you make a 13" or 13.5" tall tinted shield for $50?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode