MadStad Adjustable Windshield Mount Wobble - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
MadStad Adjustable Windshield Mount Wobble

I just finished installing the Madstad Adjustable mount and mounted my GIVI windshield to it. When I mounted the windshield I thought that it looked like the cross brace was a little too flexible. When I rode it I knew it was too flexible and it allowed the wind to wobble the windshield almost 1 1/2" front to back in the wind at 35 mph. I didn't want to take it any faster until I talked to Mark at Madstad so I called him.

He was very cordial and said that he had a few people call about this problem and he had two solutions. One was a thicker "stiffening bar" which would mount on top of the cross member and reinforce it. Second, he had redesigned the mount with thicker gage of metal for more rigidity but it wouldn't be available until after the holidays. He said he would be happy to send me either one so I chose the "stiffening bar" as he had that on hand.

I think that overall it is a fine product, well engineered and manufactured. I am more than satisfied with the response I received from Mark and just wanted to let others on this board know that a fix for this problem is being implemented.

An unexpected pleasure was that the GIVI windshield has no problem hitting the Acerbis Hand Guards. Now I have about 1/2" of clearance lock to lock.

Good work Mark, and thanks

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 05-26-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 06:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to golfmuch
I am going out of town Thursday for 4 days. I hope the new brackets do OK. What a way to test.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 06:35 AM

I was one of the local test bikes for Mark and did notice the flex when using a windsheild with Versys mounts and can tell you it really had no effect on the bike's handling. I had the bike up in the 70mph range several times, it actually never did flex any greater it just did it faster. Besides the stiffening bar or heavy guage bracket for those of you that haven't purchased a replacement windshield the flex issue is pretty much gone (I say pretty much because I didn't test it with every shield out there)when using the Vstrom mounting position which was the most recent tests I did with my bike. The adjusters are also easier to use for those with larger hands when using the Vstrom mounting.

I never met anyone that knows I don't like them.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 07:01 AM

Eliminating the flexing

For anybody that already received a MadStad Versys mount I will be sending out a free stiffening plate to eliminate any flexing with larger windshields. Apparently there is a bit of wobble in certain conditions but that is easily solved.

The stiffening plate will be black powder-coated 14 gauge stainless steel that mounts between the adjustable brackets and the baseplate. It will only take 5 mintues to install, you won't have to remove your side panels and once attached you will not even notice it. All new MadStad Versys mounts will ship with this plate included automatically to eliminate this issue.

If anybody has questions or issues, please contact me. Our mission is to improve your ride for the greatest enjoyment of motorcycling, and we'll bend over backward to make sure you are satisfied. Thank you for your support!

- Mark Stadnyk
(a.k.a. "MadStad")

Last edited by MadStad; 11-26-2008 at 07:03 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadStad View Post
For anybody that already received a MadStad Versys mount I will be sending out a free stiffening plate to eliminate any flexing with larger windshields. Apparently there is a bit of wobble in certain conditions but that is easily solved.

The stiffening plate will be black powder-coated 14 gauge stainless steel that mounts between the adjustable brackets and the baseplate. It will only take 5 mintues to install, you won't have to remove your side panels and once attached you will not even notice it. All new MadStad Versys mounts will ship with this plate included automatically to eliminate this issue.

If anybody has questions or issues, please contact me. Our mission is to improve your ride for the greatest enjoyment of motorcycling, and we'll bend over backward to make sure you are satisfied. Thank you for your support!

- Mark Stadnyk
(a.k.a. "MadStad")
Good Job Mark. It's a pleasure doing business with someone as customer oriented as you are. In this day and age, customer satisfaction is everything for future / repeat business.....have a happy Thanksgiving...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

It's great to do business with someone like this, isn't it? I can guarantee you he will have my business in the future. I recommend him highly.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 09:29 PM

Dallasdon - good catch on what seems to be a now resolved issue! Thanks for sharing that as well as talking to Madstad about it - sometimes it is about taking that extra step to both talk to the vendor as well as inform your fellow riders - so Hats off to you!

Madstad - very nice of you to send us guys the stiffening plate! If you design and make anything else innovative for the Versys, you can bet on my repeat business!

Now for a minor rant! Frickin' UPS has received it in the Raleigh hub this afternoon...but wont allow me to pick it up!! oh well, guess I'll wait for the second shipment of the plate and assemble them all at one shot!

Take it easy guys!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 05:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to golfmuch
Just got back from 4 days 1200 miles Birmingham to Destin, Carabelle, St George Island, Climax Ga, and on to Dothan Al. in time to watch the Auburn-Alabama game. We have a deal in our club. Who ever wins the game , we have to travel to that town and have lunch the following day. So up at 7:00 am and off to Tuscaloosa for BBQ ribs at the Famous Dreamland BBQ. We had short rides long rides high winds lots of rain. The Adjustable brackets did great. I did at the last minute install a 1/4 inch thick aluminum plate to stiffen the bracket. It did very little wobbleing. I have the large Cal-Sci wind shield. If I could make my own windshield it would be about 22" instead of 18. And i would drill my own holes. I would use the V-strom Holes and space the up and down holes as far apart as possible. I get a lot of shoulder wind. We blasted up to 100 several times passing cars. The Brackets did great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode